Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 14 of 38)

zab6359

1 hour ago, supermon said:

no way should we be dropping Conor at all for this game, he's deserves to keep his place. He's a dangerous player, i think we are likely to win the game with him in the side than without. 

Jack wins the free kicks, CH scores them. That’ll do.

• Like 2

the win on monday relaxes me a little. United, have some deceny oungsters coming through, but yes this is as good a time as any to register a rare win or draw at Old Trafford. With Chelsea and Leicester to follow, I think we might have a decent day... famous last words etc.

3 hours ago, supermon said:

no way should we be dropping Conor at all for this game, he's deserves to keep his place. He's a dangerous player, i think we are likely to win the game with him in the side than without. 

Conor is best when we have lots of possession, willing to bet he won't start Sunday.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

I think we'll play the 4-2-3-1, Marvelous back in next to luiz, 3 of hourihane, mcginn and grealish. 

We need to find the right balance here, too gung ho and we might be a couple down by half time but at the same time we should have a go at this lot. We have the ability to score  few ourselves.

There is not a chance in hell we will play a 4-2-3-1 what has DS ever done to indicate we will change formation?

15 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

There is not a chance in hell we will play a 4-2-3-1 what has DS ever done to indicate we will change formation?

We've played marvelous and luiz in front of the back 4 already away from home this season?

• Like 1

Our record against Manu is atrocious.

In many years I can only remember 2 victories Staunton goal in 1992and Agbolahor In MON era.Infact I can’t remember us scoring any goals at old Trafford .I would bet in Premier league era last 27 years if we added all the goals we have scored there it would add up to no more than 5.

Manu are weaker than they have been since pre fergie days but Rashford and James could cause us a lot of problems.

I would play Nakamba for this one instead of Luiz or Hourihane

2-2 late equaliser from us for a change.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

In many years I can only remember 2 victories Staunton goal in 1992and Agbolahor In MON era.Infact I can’t remember us scoring any goals at old Trafford .I would bet in Premier league era last 27 years if we added all the goals we have scored there it would add up to no more than 5.

Manu are weaker than they have been since pre fergie days but Rashford and James could cause us a lot of problems.

Off the top of my head, in recent years:

Benteke - 2015

Bent - 2011

Gabby - 2009

Gabby, Carew - 2008

That's 5 right there :P 

6 hours ago, romavillan said:

We've played marvelous and luiz in front of the back 4 already away from home this season?

With McGinn as a three never as a 4-2-3-1 though? 

I think DS has indicated he will play Conor in the games we expect a lot of possession those are the games Jack tends to get fouled the most. We know Conor can go missing in the tough games. This is why he didn't start the Citeh, Liverpool or Wolves games but did against the barcodes. Not saying he deserves to be dropped just that I think that is what will happen.

2 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Those were the days when most teams were bet mentally before they played United at Old Trafford. This lot aren't very good. Now's our chance. They are gonna get their shit together eventually.

11 hours ago, romavillan said:

I think we'll play the 4-2-3-1, Marvelous back in next to luiz, 3 of hourihane, mcginn and grealish. 

We need to find the right balance here, too gung ho and we might be a couple down by half time but at the same time we should have a go at this lot. We have the ability to score  few ourselves.

Interesting one. No out and out winger but we should certainly have enough centrally to play around Man. United and cut out their throughballs to their streaky front 3.

I think a problem in our earlier games was if our two wide players fizzled out of the game and were on the touchline gathering dust then we would quickly get outnumbered centrally and eventually v Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool that told with the goals conceded in last ten minutes.

On 26/11/2019 at 06:45, blunther said:

Free hit. Let's smash the bastards! Win by three and go above them. 

What do you mean by free hit?

You recognise that we are only 3 points behind, so you must realise they aren't that good? Since I started following football in '87 this is comfortably the worst side I've ever seen them have. I don't know how Lingard gets in the England squad - he wouldnt even make our bench

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

The Staunton game was actually a 1-1 draw!

I've got a feeling that the 3-2 in April 2009 is the only time we've scored more than once at Old Trafford in the premier league era which is incredible when I can recall many times we've gone to Liverpool or Arsenal and scored 2 or 3 goals. Also had a 4-4 with Chelsea in 2007-08.

Our record in Manchester is just beyond woeful. We made Man. City look like a Pep team in the days they were broke and were putting out Vassell upfront managed by Stuart Pearce.

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The Staunton game was actually a 1-1 draw!

I've got a feeling that the 3-2 in April 2009 is the only time we've scored more than once at Old Trafford in the premier league era which is incredible when I can recall many times we've gone to Liverpool or Arsenal and scored 2 or 3 goals. Also had a 4-4 with Chelsea in 2007-08.

Our record in Manchester is just beyond woeful. We made Man. City look like a Pep team in the days they were broke and were putting out Vassell upfront managed by Stuart Pearce.

It’s funny how memory plays tricks on you.

I can still remember that goal and his defiant celebration.Strange how some goals remain in the memory and it was a draw! 

I think that goal was memorable because we were still in contention for the title? Now that shows how long ago that was.

Edited by Londonastonvilla

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think Trez will start the match? Personally, I think he’s been unfairly treated and should start 

You don’t think it would be unfair to drop El Ghazi, who has looked far more dangerous this year, for him?

I’ll assume dropping Grealish for him wasn’t even a consideration...