Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 14 of 38)

zab6359

22 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We have the better midfield. Lets win that battle and see what we can do. They go to Astana on Thursday but they’ll probably rest a few. Not beyond us; we can get something.

Is that Astana game a dead match? Just I noticed Man U been playing pretty much their first team in Europa games.

Probably one of the worst Man UTD teams Villa have faced since the beginning of the Premier League so with a new mentality and team I’m expecting Villa to get a point at least.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, striker said:

Probably one of the worst Man UTD teams Villa have faced since the beginning of the Premier League so with a new mentality and team I’m expecting Villa to get a point at least.

They are quite decent at OT tho aren't they? Mainly their away form which is an issue.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They are quite decent at OT tho aren't they? Mainly their away form which is an issue.

They have beaten Leicester and  Chelsea and got a point v Liverpool. Crowd massively help them but they are an average team in my opinion.  We can defo give them a good game. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

They've played well in their last two. Thought their did a good job on Liverpool and comfortably beat Brighton.

Before that 1-1 with a poor Arsenal team in game they took the lead, lost to Palace at home aswell. They did beat Chelsea and Leicester but neither had hit their stride, think both would be very different results if they played them now.

Anyway all the jinxs aside if the players really go out on the pitch believing they can get a result I think we will. Don't play the history but the actual players infront of you who are good but not great.

They're without their first two central midfielders. Fred and Pereria was a very mediocre combo v Sheffield United who just passed it around them for most of the game so certainly think we can get get some decent periods in the game when we will create chances.

Big question is whether it's Nakamba or Luiz, I think if everyone is fit DS will stick with the 11 v Newcastle.

In our season so far we've come very close to getting a point off Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool and were holding Man. City 0-0 at half time. All four will probably finish above Man. United in the league.

I think it will be a tight game so we need to take our chances. Certainly not expecting to lose 3-0 or 4-1 and really if that happens that would sum up our general mentality in this fixture.

Think this could be our time for a "shock" win, 1-2.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If we sit back and let them try to break us down, we can easily win. If we try to go for it like Sheffield United, we could get done on the counter. Given that United are at home, the onus will be on them. I'm tempted to start Trezeguet for this one. Real selection headache for Dean with Conor and Anwar both playing really well.

Manure front three are a bit scary.

AEG did everything right against Newcastle but I can see a point in DS bringing in Trez for his work rate/tracking back and Marvelous for Conor. DS mentioned he had explained to Conor why he didn't play the previous games and I think that will be the case here, we aren't going to see a lot of the ball so choosing the right players for the right game makes complete sense.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

They've played well in their last two. Thought their did a good job on Liverpool and comfortably beat Brighton.

Before that 1-1 with a poor Arsenal team in game they took the lead, lost to Palace at home aswell. They did beat Chelsea and Leicester but neither had hit their stride, think both would be very different results if they played them now.

Anyway all the jinxs aside if the players really go out on the pitch believing they can get a result I think we will. Don't play the history but the actual players infront of you who are good but not great.

They're without their first two central midfielders. Fred and Pereria was a very mediocre combo v Sheffield United who just passed it around them for most of the game so certainly think we can get get some decent periods in the game when we will create chances.

Big question is whether it's Nakamba or Luiz, I think if everyone is fit DS will stick with the 11 v Newcastle.

In our season so far we've come very close to getting a point off Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool and were holding Man. City 0-0 at half time. All four will probably finish above Man. United in the league.

I think it will be a tight game so we need to take our chances. Certainly not expecting to lose 3-0 or 4-1 and really if that happens that would sum up our general mentality in this fixture.

Think this could be our time for a "shock" win, 1-2.

I don't think he will Conor will definitely get dropped for this one, maybe AEG too his defensive work is improving but maybe DS will prefer Trez starting. Going to be interesting.

19 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I don’t mind losing away at old Trafford but please please please don’t go 1-0 up and throw it away in the last 10 mins. I couldn’t live with the Utd wankfest that would ensue. Still have nightmares about that donkey Macheda...

Euuuurgh I’d completely forgotten about that for years. You’re the worst. Why? WHY?!?

• Sad 1

Just now, Spoony said:

Euuuurgh I’d completely forgotten about that for years. You’re the worst. Why? WHY?!?

Just bothered to google Macheda after this. Man alive what a spectacular fall, but he’s only 28!!!! I feel like he should be 35 by now...

🙄

'United have already qualified for the knockout phase.

Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has included 14 teenagers in his 18-man squad after choosing to leave most of his senior players at home.

With an average age of 20, 10 of those players travelling to Kazakhstan are yet to feature in a first-team game.'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50562983 

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

🙄

'United have already qualified for the knockout phase.

Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has included 14 teenagers in his 18-man squad after choosing to leave most of his senior players at home.

With an average age of 20, 10 of those players travelling to Kazakhstan are yet to feature in a first-team game.'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50562983 

Typical.

It's time Smith gave us a big scalp.

It's ok pumping the likes of norwich and toon but we really need a win over a big team to make the fans and players truly believe we are going somewhere.

Norwich Sheff utd and even newcastle united have theirs. Whens it going to happen for us? sick of waiting. we bottled it against spurs arsenal and liverpool. and to a certain extent man city.

The only players I'd take from man utd is anthony martial. poissibly harry mcguire however he's been looking shakey. I'm sure they'd take at least 5 of our boys.

This is the first time in years we can go there with a view to getting something. I think in the after match interview on tues Jack said something about not having beaten the top six yet.

That gives me a feeling the players are looking at this game to rip up that stat.

• Haha 1

I think a lot of this one comes down to belief, we have an abysmal record at Old Trafford (much like most teams I would imagine, but ours is painfully bad), but this isn't a United side with Keane, Beckham, Giggs ETC...

It will be a massive occasion for a number of our players in front of 70,000 + home fans and we need to show that we have what it takes to perform on a big stage - if we do that then I firmly believe we have the players to bring home a positive result.

They have a decent front free which will probably cause us problems but have others have alluded to we have a better midfield (I wouldn't swap any of ours for theirs!) and they can definitely be got at at the back.

I know Smith likes to play either (or both) of Nakamba and Luiz against teams he feels we wont get as much of the ball, but the way we play, Utd play and the performance of Conor on Monday it would be extreely harsh to drop him therefore I think he should stick with the same eleven and go all out for plenty of possession and ultimately 3 points. I'd possibly switch Nakamba for Luiz but would be happy with either.

If we believe in ourselves and start well then I think we can nick this 1-2. UTV.

• Like 2