Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 14 of 38)

zab6359

if there is one team where we just seem to get nothing from even when we have played well and they have been utterly awful, all the fortune and luck goes their way. It is a disgusting hoodoo. I despise them so much even if they aren't the super power they once were.

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Would love to see us get something, but we seem to have some sort of mental block when it comes to beating "top 6" sides, so on that basis I can't see us getting anything.

Yeah manure may not be a top 6 side currently, but I still think the mental block or whatever it is would hold for this game.

Nah. sure none of these players have ever been by utd at old Trafford as villa players, let alone consistently. There isn't any mystical hoodoo over this fixture. It's just in the past utd have been a better team than Aston villa. Not so much any more. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Nah. sure none of these players have ever been by utd at old Trafford as villa players, let alone consistently. There isn't any mystical hoodoo over this fixture. It's just in the past utd have been a better team than Aston villa. Not so much any more. 

So have Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool yet at different stages in last decade we've had a pretty decent record on those grounds. Every season under Lambert we seemed to go to Anfield and win and also had a fantastic 3-1 at Arsenal on the opening day of 2013 season. Yet nothing at Old Trafford, not even in their bleak years under Moyes and LVG.

Edited by VillaChris

I feel that a lot seem to be vastly underestimating United, since Solskjær came despite all the criticism they've still shown top six form, which whilst nowhere near as good as where they feel they should be it's still good enough to make them clear favourites against us, especially at Old Trafford, if they click they're capable of winning tomorrow by a big scoreline.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I feel that a lot seem to be vastly underestimating United, since Solskjær came despite all the criticism they've still shown top six form, which whilst nowhere near as good as where they feel they should be it's still good enough to make them clear favourites against us, especially at Old Trafford, if they click they're capable of winning tomorrow by a big scoreline.

This is true, they still have world class players that on their day can destroy any time, they just don't click as much as a team and have the same amount of quality in all areas like the teams above us.

We deserved to get a point or more from our games vs Arsenal and Liverpool, which shows you we can compete, we just can't seem to defend our leads late on in games. I am happy we beat Newcastle but they were so poor I don't feel like we really learnt anything more from our team and tactics last week.  

Hate ManUre. Hate 'em and their glory hunting fans with a passion (mind you, those fans probably now follow Citeh).

What make it worse is that we never get anything against them....

... and, sadly, I don't see that changing this weekend.

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Hate ManUre. Hate 'em and their glory hunting fans with a passion (mind you, those fans probably now follow Citeh).

it's the fact that Sky/BT whoever will spend the entire 2 hours of coverage jizzing all over them like they are best team on the planet.

37 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I think Sheffield showed that this team can be got at !! I think Aston Villa have the ability to control the midfield and could definitely take some points from this. The key for me will be bagging an early goal.

19 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think Trez will start the match? Personally, I think he’s been unfairly treated and should start 

I think he should play upfront and bench Wesley!

14 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Horrible record up there - apparently we’ve won once at OT in 35 years. 

Remember Spurs had a similar record up to a few years ago but have since done well against Man Poo so there’s hope for us.

Yes, but United post Ferguson have been reliably mediocre. This is as winnable a game for Villa at OT as they come.

5 hours ago, useless said:

13 games into the season and they are bottom half of the table and only 3 points above us. I feel the opposite to you in that people are giving them too much respect and believe they are still a masterful side. Yes they are favourites for todays game but only because they are at home.

I hope our players dont go into the game giving them too much respect. They are there for the taking. Not just saying this because I'm a Villa fan but genuinely and honestly feel our defence and midfield is better than theirs. In fact I think only 3 or 4 of their players would improve our team

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

13 games into the season and they are bottom half of the table and only 3 points above us. I feel the opposite to you in that people are giving them too much respect and believe they are still a masterful side. Yes they are favourites for todays game but only because they are at home.

I hope our players dont go into the game giving them too much respect. They are there for the taking. Not just saying this because I'm a Villa fan but genuinely and honestly feel our defence and midfield is better than theirs. In fact I think only 3 or 4 of their players would improve our team

Which players would improve our team in your opinion?

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Which players would improve our team in your opinion?

De Gae, Maguire, Martial, then one of either Rashford or Dan James on the right wing.

I have purposely not included Pogba as (apart from a purple match when Ole first went there) he's not really tried to play football during his man utd career.

Depends on what Villa team turns up, Day dreaming bottle jobs at wolves or grafters that put a shift in against Newcastle.  

It really is that black and white. 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1