Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 14 of 38)

zab6359

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think Trez will start the match? Personally, I think he’s been unfairly treated and should start 

Normally I could see Trez starting this type of game as DS will prefer his workrate tracking back, but AEG seems to be in decent form and not so sure it would be a good choice to interupt that improvement in form.

In what way do you feel Trez has been treated unfairly?

Edited by zab6359
Added a bit.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Normally I could see Trez starting this type of game as DS will prefer his workrate tracking back, but AEG seems to be in decent form and not so sure it would be a good choice to interupt that improvement in form.

In what way do you feel Trez has been treated unfairly?

He’s scored a few goals and looked a threat particularly on the break and has been put on the bench. In my opinion, he should be starting, Trezeguet down the right, El Ghazi down the left, we actually have options now though and it’s been a long time since I said that

Really hope we don’t go back to playing both Marvelous and Douglas, like we did in our three match losing streak, just because it’s man united. Our midfield is clearly the biggest threat we’ve got, and we should therefore try and impose it on every side in the league bar city in my opinion. United’s midfield is atrocious, so we do have a real chance here I feel, especially if Wes can occupy the centre halves. Same team as last game for me, but with marvelous instead of Douglas.

• Like 2

Would love to see us get something, but we seem to have some sort of mental block when it comes to beating "top 6" sides, so on that basis I can't see us getting anything.

Yeah manure may not be a top 6 side currently, but I still think the mental block or whatever it is would hold for this game.

On 26/11/2019 at 21:07, villalad21 said:

We do have a better midfield.

But James, Rashford and Martial is scary

So is their defence (other than Maguire)...but not in the same way. ;) James, Rashford and Martial are not Law, Best and Charlton. I back our defence to make it difficult for them.    

Edited by John

A win tomorrow, would take us level on points with Manchester United. They really are not the team that they once were and Solskjaer is presently holding onto his job by a very fine string. That said, Old Trafford is far from being a happy hunting ground for us. We have won there only three times in 2009, 1983 and in 1954, since 1930. Yes, that is just 3 wins in 89 long years! 1930 was a good year for us though, we beat them once at Villa Park (7-0) and twice at Old Trafford (4-3 & 3-2) during that calendar year. Overall, we have won 43 and have drawn 38 of the 166 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. 

We have has our moments against them, but those moments have been few and far between. We did beat Busby's babes at Wembley in 1957 and denied Fergie his treble in 1994, but games against them have been mostly pretty grim affairs for us. I for one, think that it is about time that we started to win games against this lot! They don't have Giggs, Cantona or Beckham now, nor Best, Law and Charlton. We can go into this game with a new side, that can look at the league table, the players they will be up against and feel this is a game that they might just be capable of getting something from. It will not be easy, but it will not be quite as tough, as it has proved in the past. I would prefer to be playing them at Villa Park tomorrow, but now is not a bad time to be playing them. They won't currently have quite the same level of confidence, that previous Manchester United teams have had, when we have been their visitors. Just win it (or at least draw it) for us Villa! :flag:            

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s scored a few goals and looked a threat particularly on the break and has been put on the bench. In my opinion, he should be starting, Trezeguet down the right, El Ghazi down the left, we actually have options now though and it’s been a long time since I said that

Jacks been playing on the left mate!! So who do you drop??

Edited by Villan4Life

This is the very first time I get to see Villa live in action, so I am expecting a 2 nil win.

Who to though, depends whether I am a jinx or not.

• Like 2