January Transfers 2019/20

sne

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Look, I'm not saying this would be the right move - in fact, it would probably be the opposite of that - BUT...

...part of me would love the return of Benteke :ph34r:

He was shite for a lot of the time he was with us in his "prime". He was worse at Liverpool, and even worse now. It would be madness. He had a short purple patch that has caused his bank account to swell enormously.

Plus then there's the usual "never go back" situation. Even good players usual fail on returning.

Couldn't be more against it if I tried.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

He was shite for a lot of the time he was with us in his "prime". He was worse at Liverpool, and even worse now. It would be madness. He had a short purple patch that has caused his bank account to swell enormously.

Plus then there's the usual "never go back" situation. Even good players usual fail on returning.

Mental.

I agree with everything else you wrote but that bit in bold is just pure revisionist mentalism of the highest order.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Errrr....?

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Mental.

I agree with everything else you wrote but that bit in bold is just pure revisionist mentalism of the highest order.

When he was having trouble with his fitness during the second season he wasn't playing very well for like 7 or 8 games. He picked it up towards the end of the season though. 

Just now, bobzy said:

Errrr....?

If you have the time, re-read his thread. A large proportion is critic about his attitude and laziness. He should take a cash move to China and then retire. He has nothing to offer the PL any more.

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Mikan fans i know think it was a fluke. This season he isnt getting into positions for chances and think half his goals were penalties. They were calling for him to be dropped since October 

They must be getting on a bit tbf, old George hasn't played since 1956.  

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

If you have the time, re-read his thread. A large proportion is critic about his attitude and laziness. He should take a cash move to China and then retire. He has nothing to offer the PL any more.

I'm 100% not going to do that, but I don't doubt he got criticised at the time.  However, he remains the most impactful striker I've ever seen at Villa and was absolutely superb in his prime.

• Like 1

Just now, Nigel said:

Or maybe we could see how they work out?

Both can't get a game at Burnley for a start. Hart has no left hand so gets beaten too easily genuinely prefer Nyland or Steer

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

He was a gnat's bollock under 1 in 2 over the course of 100 games - with the goals relatively spread out over his time with us ffs. 🤣

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I'm 100% not going to do that, but I don't doubt he got criticised at the time.  However, he remains the most impactful striker I've ever seen at Villa and was absolutely superb in his prime.

I agree but the key word is was. I think his time as a great striker has now sadly passed. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Both can't get a game at Burnley for a start. Hart has no left hand so gets beaten too easily genuinely prefer Nyland or Steer

Its not what i wanted either, but you cant fire a man based on what you think they are going to bring!

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree but the key word is was. I think his time as a great striker has now sadly passed. 

I agree.  As I said in my original post, it would probably be a terrible idea... but part of me would love it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

How does Piatek compare to Maupay though?

He's more of a targetman/poacher type so more similar to Wes.

You see I don't mind going for guys like Piatek, Defrel or Ante Rebic (my link). Rebic had a fantastic 2018 world cup and was good for Frankfurt last season in league and cup and Piatek scored loads last season.

There are always players doing well and then for whatever reason they fall out of favour/don't make the right move but at least they've done stuff in football very recently.

Benteke and Drinkwater haven't done anything since 2017, that's three years ago now so big warning signings when you don't make an impact on football pitch over three seasons. Beneteke has scored about 2 goals in that time.