Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

That is absolutely outrageous treatment and without doubt you will be getting paid out for this.  The professional standards departments in all the forces are gunning for rank and file officers at the moment to prove to the government/media that they can weed out the bad apples.  If this as you describe, then this copper is toast and his mate won't be far behind him.

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Also, I really wouldn't worry about yourself or your family. After making the complaint, any more incidents with the Police that cannot be justified would count as harassment, including stopping your vehicle for no good reason

I agree, and likely I will take it up a notch come Monday. My kids and wife are champing at the bit for me to take this as wide as need be, but frankly I’m still not sure about the issues that will come from this. The local law is known to be extremely rude and openly confrontative to people who they have issues with.

I didn’t need this at this point in my life, but likewise it’s not fair for me to let these idiots keep on keeping on with their idiocy.

I’m trying to find out what I did to warrant this behaviour, but in my recordings I’m just saying ‘look, the light works, it’s a new car and the specs are just new. The reverse light is higher up than on most cars but it’s been signed off by the proper authorities’. I can be quite confrontational myself but this incident is absolutely not. My son is fuming. Being a firefighter he’s already got a quite blinkered view about police, and he’s ready to hose down the whole police station.

In all honesty I’m just tired. What is up with treating a 64 year old like this? What went wrong? Who taught these idiots to act like this?

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, magnkarl said:

So I was stopped by the now famous Hampshire traffic police today, apparently for a broken reverse indicator light (how they figured this out when I was going down the M3 is beyond me). In order to show the officer that it worked I put the car in reverse and the lights came on fine. He then wanted me to drive to the nearest services so I could drive with them on, in case of a 'faulty wire'. I did, and sure enough there was absolutely nothing wrong.

I asked him to call his superiors and for his ID. At this point the constable gets absolutely barking mad and started pushing about me just 'accepting the bloody fine'. I asked him if I was being detained or was under arrest, and his answer was 'you will be if you don't do as I say'. He puts me in cuffs (I'm an old man, what am I going to do), and shoves me into the police car. I was having none of this bully, so I just said I want a lawyer. He then proceeds to drive me up and down the M3 for half an hour trying to get me to admit that my car was not legal (it's a bloody Nissan ariya 2022). Why would I tamper with it?

While in the car I told the constable that my car has cameras, and by luck I had turned recording on when he stopped me, whereby he said that these won't be able to 'sort anything out'. I then said I'm pressing charges for how he's treating me and he finally let me off at the other end of the services so I had to walk to my car in the pissing rain. Today I've spent half an hour talking to different superiors of this guy who has now been suspended pending investigation about how they'd love to talk to me (probably to avoid me taking them to court).

I'm wondering if anyone else has any idea what I'd be expecting if I take them to court? I've got the whole 28 minute conversation in his patrol vehicle on my phone (be sure to have Siri active so you can ask her to record in this sort of situation), he makes threats, abuses me, asks why my name is so 'funny' etc. At this point I was shocked and barely responded to his behaviour. I'm sure I came off as a smart-arse in the start of this stop when he wouldn't listen to me about the light working, but I don't think what he did was warranted at all. Hampshire police has a massive issue with their constables being absolute bullies.

Good old Hampshire police! You’re not the first to have something happen. Hope you are ok.

8 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Good idea, I've spoken to a solicitor today who's essentially said he could make it blow up nationally if I so chose. I'm not sure however, there's many bad apples in the police around here and I don't know if I fancy the repercussions. Hilariously someone from the police called my manager today and said I've been causing trouble and I shouldn't be employed.

My manager recorded the conversation and forwarded it to me, including the part where he berates the police for making false accusations with absolutely zero proof and that he'll join in on any lawsuit. Turns out the caller was the officers patrol partner.

You'd think I lived in Italy the way these cowboys are behaving. The psychological state some of these immature young men are in should disqualify them from having any sort of position of power. 

Thinking an off-camera agreement\complaint in the first place is my family's best bet, and then maybe driving the screw down if they don't play ball. Calling my manager like that is next level corrupt though.

I'd be uploading everything to Twitter and Youtube after this. Absolutely shocking behaviour by the Police. 

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I'd be uploading everything to Twitter and Youtube after this

Maybe after the trial/settlement :thumb:

I hope in the cold light of day and a good kip there's enough fight left in you to stand up to bullies. To me it sounds like you have plenty of actual evidence of harrasment.

I understand people not wanting to cause waves and all that, I do, but there's something really insidious about your posts of not wanting to hold the police to account for their unlawful actions - for fear they might do more unlawful actions to you. I get that that's the reality for some, but is that a place any of us want to live in? Knowingly?

Sorry you've had this random, horrible experience. Remember your actions from this point don't bring any shame on Hampshire Police one bit. They did that to themselves.

I'd only deal with this/them in writing from this point.

Good Luck

• Like 1

On 29/09/2023 at 11:56, magnkarl said:

So I was stopped by the now famous Hampshire traffic police today, apparently for a broken reverse indicator light (how they figured this out when I was going down the M3 is beyond me). In order to show the officer that it worked I put the car in reverse and the lights came on fine. He then wanted me to drive to the nearest services so I could drive with them on, in case of a 'faulty wire'. I did, and sure enough there was absolutely nothing wrong.

I asked him to call his superiors and for his ID. At this point the constable gets absolutely barking mad and started pushing about me just 'accepting the bloody fine'. I asked him if I was being detained or was under arrest, and his answer was 'you will be if you don't do as I say'. He puts me in cuffs (I'm an old man, what am I going to do), and shoves me into the police car. I was having none of this bully, so I just said I want a lawyer. He then proceeds to drive me up and down the M3 for half an hour trying to get me to admit that my car was not legal (it's a bloody Nissan ariya 2022). Why would I tamper with it?

While in the car I told the constable that my car has cameras, and by luck I had turned recording on when he stopped me, whereby he said that these won't be able to 'sort anything out'. I then said I'm pressing charges for how he's treating me and he finally let me off at the other end of the services so I had to walk to my car in the pissing rain. Today I've spent half an hour talking to different superiors of this guy who has now been suspended pending investigation about how they'd love to talk to me (probably to avoid me taking them to court).

I'm wondering if anyone else has any idea what I'd be expecting if I take them to court? I've got the whole 28 minute conversation in his patrol vehicle on my phone (be sure to have Siri active so you can ask her to record in this sort of situation), he makes threats, abuses me, asks why my name is so 'funny' etc. At this point I was shocked and barely responded to his behaviour. I'm sure I came off as a smart-arse in the start of this stop when he wouldn't listen to me about the light working, but I don't think what he did was warranted at all. Hampshire police has a massive issue with their constables being absolute bullies.

So what's the latest?

spacer.png

9 hours ago, magnkarl said:

For legal purposes I've been asked to not mention any more until there's a legal solution to the matter, or at least until we're at a point where the case is presented. 

Good idea. Is it worth hiding the original post too and asking those who quoted it to hide their posts? 

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Good idea. Is it worth hiding the original post too and asking those who quoted it to hide their posts? 

I offered to screen grab his posts for the police, but they said it was fine, they’d already made up plenty of evidence of their own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DHUTWU

(Just incase this thread needs to be used in court, I want there to be some confusion about that acronym and Magnkarl to have to explain)

Edit THANK YOU ROBERT

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

DHUTW

(Just incase this thread needs to be used in court, I want there to be some confusion about that acronym and Magnkarl to have to explain)

You missed a “u” out

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

No, there's absolutely no argument that the other side has, or can have, from me writing a mildly worded post about how I was treated. 

It's just that it could be interpreted by a court to be interference if I keep talking about it. Not that I expect anyone to find this post, except for maybe the police who will then need to explain why they're looking at my online activity when there is no suspicion or charge. And even then I'm always on a VPN with differing countries based on who has the most free internet rights. 

If I hypothetically was a police officer who was digging around in people's activity with no valid case that's another breach of law.

Edited by magnkarl

• 3 weeks later...

And we wonder why people pick up right wing talking points about it being illegal to offend people in this country.

FWIW there's 2 up in my town. I don't think anyone's had a knock on their door about them. In further flag news the council offices are still flying the Ukrainian one but it's not up on the flagpoles at the war memorial anymore and I think I'm right in saying all but one of the shops have taken them down too.

Perhaps the Council will be getting a visit from the perception police too.

• 2 weeks later...

Met Police say they will be "ruthless" at pro-Palestine marches in London.

Does a public demonstration of a pro-Palestine position warrant this type of bellicose pronouncement from police? 

55 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Met Police say they will be "ruthless" at pro-Palestine marches in London.

Does a public demonstration of a pro-Palestine position warrant this type of bellicose pronouncement from police? 

Protesting is fine. Chanting for the extermination of jews, calls for global jihad and celebrating the Hamas attack, isn't.

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Protesting is fine. Chanting for the extermination of jews, calls for global jihad and celebrating the Hamas attack, isn't.

How about hanging a flag up, why would the police get involved in that?  Its a step to far for me they should stay away from policing opinions especially when they haven't got the time to attend car crime or shop lifting offences, it's ridiculous. 

Â