Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'd be curious how you'd react if you were arrested at Gdansk airport as a known drunken lout in Sopot ;) 

Ha  .... I'm a well behaved drunken lout tbf  ( assuming drinking cans of cheap tramps beer from a corner shop on a park bench at 7:30 am isn't a crime in Sopot  :) 

interestingly , one year we flew to Hungary for a lads trip when the world cup was on in Germany , and police were at the airport taking away any known troublemakers and preventing them from travelling  ... Don't think there was any outrage at the time over this ?

its how we found out one of our friends has a record and they took him away for questioning ( he was allowed to fly , turns out he'd got a conviction for having a fight with a taxi driver :o ) 

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Ha  .... I'm a well behaved drunken lout tbf  ( assuming drinking cans of cheap tramps beer from a corner shop on a park bench at 7:30 am isn't a crime in Sopot  :) 

It is actually 

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

It is actually 

Well you live and learn … internet reckons if you are drunk they take you to a drying out clinic and you have to stay there until you are sober(and you pay  for your stay ) …

I’d have been there about a week :)

Talking about Sopot prompted me to look at the photos on my phone which resulted in me chuckling away to myself … Ahh Sopot I miss you such a cool place 

• Like 2

Aussie police taser 95yr old women with dementia. Wow

An elderly Australian woman with dementia is in hospital with life-threatening injuries after being Tasered by police at a care home. 

Officers were called to Yallambee Lodge in Cooma, New South Wales (NSW), after reports that 95-year-old Clare Nowland was carrying a knife.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Aussie police taser 95yr old women with dementia. Wow

The police chief (or equivalent of) defending their actions by saying she was approaching them in a menacing fashion. He then added that it was "admittedly a slow approach" as she was using a zimmer frame.

They tasered her twice, front and back.

The knife was also a steak knife and not something like a machete.

Completely ridiculous response from the police. 

58 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The police chief (or equivalent of) defending their actions by saying she was approaching them in a menacing fashion. He then added that it was "admittedly a slow approach" as she was using a zimmer frame.

Horrific mate. She’s now in a serious condition in hospital with a brain bleed and a cracked skull. 

Even if she did pose a risk, which she clearly didn’t, how is it that a highly trained  police officer, let alone 2 of the feckers, didn’t feel they safely just take a knife from a 95yr old women on a zimmer frame? 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Horrific mate. She’s now in a serious condition in hospital with a brain bleed and a cracked skull. 

Even if she did pose a risk, which she clearly didn’t, how is it that a highly trained  police officer, let alone 2 of the feckers, didn’t feel they safely just take a knife from a 95yr old women on a zimmer frame? 

I'd go a step further than that and ask why the staff working at the care home weren't cable of resolving this themselves?

My gran was 87 when she died, didn't need a zimmer frame and had dementia. I'm fairly certain I could have taken the knife off her if she had one.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

When I heard that clip on the radio I had to reassure myself I wasn't living in a comedy film

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'd go a step further than that and ask why the staff working at the care home weren't cable of resolving this themselves?

My gran was 87 when she died, didn't need a zimmer frame and had dementia. I'm fairly certain I could have taken the knife off her if she had one.

So many questions and failings. It’s absolutely horrible. As you touched on in your first reply, I was almost as disgusted with the police chief’s response than I was with the words removed that fired the taser. 

Riots in Cardiff last night. Could this be the start of a summer of rioting?

People have never had it so bad.  They're really not feeling the Brexit bonus right now. 

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

People have never had it so bad.  They're really not feeling the Brexit bonus right now. 

Why were they rioting?

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why were they rioting?

Rumours that 2 teenagers died whilst they were being chased by police on their e-scooters.  Turns out the police attended after they had died, but social media got the local thugs all worked up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

@chrisp65 was playing his alt-emo-reggae a little too loud.

Hand on heart, many (many) years ago I did lend a few cheapo records to that yoof club on that estate. So they could learn / practise some DJ technique. A bunch of Greensleeves 12” singles. Not me doing the teaching I hasten to add, I couldn’t DJ to save my life. I just had some sacrificial records and wouldn’t get upset because someone held them wrong. 

They had a big push on at Trelai Youth Club to try and re engage with a famously disconnected community. My missus was part of a Dr Barnados thing that worked some challenging areas, they were volunteers working to get accreditation, but even back then they got £30 if they’d do a session in Ely. I mean, that’s £7.50 an hour, 20 / 25 years ago. 

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

There were riots in Swansea a couple of years back after a vigil for a dead teenager.

Some people just want to cause trouble.

10 hours ago, ender4 said:

Rumours that 2 teenagers died whilst they were being chased by police on their e-scooters.  Turns out the police attended after they had died, but social media got the local thugs all worked up.

And now later in the day it turns out a police van was apparently tailing these teenagers.

The south Wales police and crime commissioner, Alun Michael, had claimed the riots were sparked by false “rumours” of police involvement in the boys’ deaths.

Later, CCTV footage emerged appearing to show a police van chasing two boys on an e-bike just before 6pm on Monday.

Ch Supt Martyn Stone said: “We’ve received CCTV footage that shows a police vehicle following a bike just prior to 6pm. South Wales police has also made a mandatory referral to the Independent Office for Police Conduct to ensure the matter receives independent scrutiny.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/23/south-wales-police-van-was-pursuing-teenagers-in-cardiff-force-admits

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

And now later in the day it turns out a police van was apparently tailing these teenagers.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/23/south-wales-police-van-was-pursuing-teenagers-in-cardiff-force-admits

and why should a police van tailing 2 kids cause riots? Should be 5 year jail sentences as a minimum for anyone involved in attacking police.

Â