Cameron Archer

Zatman

In fairness to Archer I feel like he’s very different to Watkins. Ollie’s weakness is his finishing which can be very hit and miss. A great finish for his first today. Got to be frustrated he didn’t get more of a chance. 

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

I get the sense there’s a bit of copium going on in here. It’s like when Adama Traore left. We keep reassuring each other what a great deal it is etc but actually we are all gutted. 

What's there to be gutted about? We've got decent money for him that'll help massively for FFP. If he's not good enough then it's pure profit, if he is good enough the we can probably make use of the buyback clause.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I get the sense there’s a bit of copium going on in here. It’s like when Adama Traore left. We keep reassuring each other what a great deal it is etc but actually we are all gutted. 

I’ve never not been gutted tbh. I understand all the logic and can accept the FFP necessity but I think he’s got everything in him to be challenging for minutes now. Have to accept though that Emery will get more right than wrong (and more right than I would!) but even the best managers do make mistakes with players and I can’t help feeling there will be a point we regret this deal.

None of that changes the fact that the best case for me, and for any Villa fan, is he smashes it, is amazing, and the buyback clause does exist and on good terms and that he wants to come back at whatever point that is. So him scoring goals can only be good!

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I'm not gutted. It makes all the sense in the world. He was doing nothing at Villa.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What's there to be gutted about? We've got decent money for him that'll help massively for FFP. If he's not good enough then it's pure profit, if he is good enough the we can probably make use of the buyback clause.

If he’s good enough for Villa to be considering him at that point why would he consider Villa? Is he actually bound to sign for us if we have a buyback (I genuinely don’t know)? If not surely he’d go to another team and not the one that essentially didn’t believe in him. 

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Great finisher.  Rest of his game seems somewhat limited.  He was a step slow and beaten off the ball quite a bit.

Thats why he is where he js, if he can grow and learn we can bring him back a more complete player. He’s very much a Darren Bent type player at the moment. 

• Like 1

If he’s good enough for Villa to be considering him at that point why would he consider Villa? Is he actually bound to sign for us if we have a buyback (I genuinely don’t know)? If not surely he’d go to another team and not the one that essentially didn’t believe in him. 

I don't know the details of the buyback but it could very well be the case that we get first dibs on him

Anyway, I don't think it's a case of us not believing in him, just not being able to give him the game time that he'll get at Sheffield.

It's not about us not believing in him though is it. If that was the case Unai wouldn't have said that we want control over where he plays football.

It's about us not being able to offer him the minutes he needs to develop as a player. Archer would have been very keen to get regular minutes somewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Great finisher.  Rest of his game seems somewhat limited.  He was a step slow and beaten off the ball quite a bit.

Really reminds me so much of Ings and Bent. Don’t give him a chance around goal but needs the rest of the team to supply him.

Not calling him a tap in merchant but he had the least amount of touches for both teams. 

If you can form a team around a finisher, it’s especially useful for a team like Sheffield who have a lot of hard workers but just need that extra lethality in the box to get some points. 

38 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Don't think he ever really made us miss him though.  This time we have the option to bring Cam back too.

When do we play Sheffield United? If he bangs in a couple against us people might think differently. I don't understand this limited player business. He perhaps hasn't the physical attributes of Watkins or Duran but he's still learning and improving.

Edited by PaulC

Â