Cameron Archer

Zatman

45 minutes ago, Spoony said:

If he’s good enough for Villa to be considering him at that point why would he consider Villa? Is he actually bound to sign for us if we have a buyback (I genuinely don’t know)? If not surely he’d go to another team and not the one that essentially didn’t believe in him. 

I know Villa fans are quite self-deprecating about their club, but we are gradually becoming one of the top teams in the league with one of the best managers. That's why he would come back, because he would be playing in a side containing the likes of Diaby, Luiz, Tielemans, McGinn, Zaniolo, Kamara, Torres, Martinez, etc every week. Unless he's getting an offer from a team like Liverpool, Arsenal or Man City, I'm not sure he;'d be turning us down to stay at Sheffield Utd or go to another team in the bottom half. 

And us selling him is not us not believing in him. We are just not in a position right now to offer him starts in the most competitive and unforgiving league in the world while he is still developing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

Dont care what anybody says we should never have sold him. 

If we hadn't he'd either be sitting on our bench or proving what we already know, that he's a great Championship striker. 

Selling him was really the only way to find out if he's also a great Premier League striker.

I look forward to him scoring a bundle then all the weird people shitting themselves wondering if buy back clauses are really enforceable and that some sky 6 club are going to outbid us when trying to re-sign him. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, paul514 said:

There will still be people saying he wasn’t good enough to be back up here…. Comical

I don’t think anyone truly believes that, I feel it’s more that Archer didn’t want to be backup and he shouldn’t be, his career is short he should be getting minutes. 
This could be our smartest decision selling him to a premier league team and utilising his buy back next year or the year after. 

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I look forward to him scoring a bundle then all the weird people shitting themselves wondering if buy back clauses are really enforceable and that some sky 6 club are going to outbid us when trying to re-sign him. 

Oh god. I wrote this before I read the most recent quotes. 

FFS. It's Coutinho all over again. 

It's a contract. There are 3 parties to the contract, us, Sheffield and Cameron. 

Everyone goes into it with eyes wide open and the signatures create a legally binding agreement. 

Cameron can't suddenly decide he doesn't want to come back or it's breach of contract.  Sheffield can't suddenly decide to sell to Chelsea because it's breach of contract. That's why it's called a contract.  It's a legally binding agreement between parties enforceable in court. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

He doesn't need to be , he just needs to be better than Duran which I think he is. More of a gamble to sell him than keep him.  

How is it a gamble if we have a buyback agreed

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Let's not let facts get in the way of a moaning spree ay. 😉

I'm going to just enjoy watching him score the goals for Sheffield and see what unfolds. Hes a great goal scorer but other parts of his game arent good enough, atm, for what we want from our forwards. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

1. Because we will have to pay more to bring him back than we sold him for and he will be on bigger wages,

2. If Watkins get injured the drop off to Duran is lot bigger than the drop off to Archer 

Very strange decision for me, we had enough matches this season to give him game time, the kid is clearly ready for the step up.     

• Like 1

Happy days (for Archer). Vindicates his move, no way he start s here. He is now going to get at least 30+ full 90 minute games at PL level which he would never have achieved here. Never. You cannot offer that where we are in our journey and jeopardy that is involved for all involved.

If he blossoms and we have a £30m buy-back we have a decision to make, but in a year or two Villa is going to be a stellar destination for most ambitious players. Who knows, we may have Watkins, Vlahovic, Diaby, Nico Williams as our forward then. I just wish Archer well and hope he gets so good we have another bargain to buy, but we are on our own journey and its up to him to catch up.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

1. Because we will have to pay more to bring him back than we sold him for and he will be on bigger wages,

2. If Watkins get injured the drop off to Duran is lot bigger than the drop off to Archer 

Very strange decision for me, we had enough matches this season to give him game time, the kid is clearly ready for the step up.     

Well management consider Duran a better prospect so he wouldn't have got game time. Duran got off the bench before him.vs Everton and scored

If Sheffield go down we are buying him back for nearly the same price

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I get the sense there’s a bit of copium going on in here. It’s like when Adama Traore left. We keep reassuring each other what a great deal it is etc but actually we are all gutted. 

Reckon you're close to it there - but I think it's just instinctive in that we know he's quality - he's scored at every opportunity he's been given but he is just not an Emery player, I don't see how he fits. Massive casualty of Villa's recent successes. 

• Like 1

Bang on this guy.

Stalling young players development is a ridiculous thing to do.

I'm happy to see them doing well. They are not at the level Emery require at the moment. Maybe they will in the future.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

He doesn't need to be , he just needs to be better than Duran which I think he is. More of a gamble to sell him than keep him.  

He needs to be better than Duran *and* willing to play as backup to Ollie Watkins (who never gets injured). I think the move made sense for everyone, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a really promising player who in an ideal world you’d like to have in the squad.

• Like 2

Â