Cameron Archer

Zatman

I see Archer, Bailey and Buendia being very effective as impact subs this coming season. If I'm a tiring defender I wouldn't want that pacy and skilful trio coming on and running me ragged for the last 20 minutes of a game. They could be match winners.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

We can sell with a buy back clause inserted. 

been here before...if we didn't give him a chance and we sold him and he went on to be brilliant for someone else and we wanted him back...why would he come back to us?

buy back clauses are a luxury of the elite and even then they're very rare that it ever happens

• Like 3

1 hour ago, useless said:

My Archer lowdown has some negatives and positives, or what could be read as negatives, but it's mostly positive and I say I why I think next season is a big opportunity for him.

People are in danger of overrating Archer and putting too much pressure on him, I watched as many of his games as possible whilst he was out on loan, and to be honest in a lot of those other than his goals he was very quiet, if he put those performances in for us there would be people on his case, Aaron Ramsey was far more the standout player, so much so that if it wasn't for his injury I think there's a good chance that Middlesbrough would be in the Premier Leauge now, and it's not just me being biased saying that I've seen Middlesbrough fans say similar, his creativity was a massive miss, but don't see nearly as many people saying Ramsey should be given a chance as I see it being said of Archer.

My point isn't that Archer was bad, in fact overall he was very good, but talk of him being as good or better than Watkins was in in the Championship is way over the top it's not even close, and no shame in that Watkins was probably the best player in Championship in his final season.

Why I think next season is a big opportunity for him

He's a late bloomer from the academy that's earned his chance with the first team, even if he just turns out to be someone who can come off the bench and be a goal threat that still could be a very valuable option, I'm pretty sure he will get his chance this coming season, if he fails to impress he can be loan out to the Champinship in January where he will do his thing and we can get some money next summer, but I think he can do well for us, if we can have a few runs in the cup competitions I wouldn't put it passed him to get double figures.

And one final thing

I think a way in which he's underrated is his ability to run with the ball, he's played most of his football as a winger, or wide forward, so I think that side of his game goes underapprecaited, he's very creative in his own way coming from wide areas, he wouldn't be as good defensively as Jacob, but I think could probably play a similar role, he has done already, just not at Premier League level.

He's earned his chancs, lets see how he does, not expecting miracles, but wouldn't put it past him to do well.

Good post and agree with 99% of it, Ramsey getting injured ruined Boro’s season, they were lacking in invention without him.

For me, I would try to get Archer a loan in the Premier League, Forest would be perfect (rate Steve Cooper), maybe a Luton.  I think he will score goals as he has raised his game everywhere he has been so let’s give him a run elsewhere and see how he does.

Best I can say is that Newcastle burnt £40m on Gordon and I wouldn’t swap him for Archer! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I do wonder what it would cost to obtain a player of similar ability to Archer. Then there’s the cost of integrating a new player. Unless we’re really splashing the cash on a v high profile striker, surely it’s a no brainer to keep Archer around? 

balogun was touted at £50m earlier this week wasn't he?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, macandally said:

Good post and agree with 99% of it, Ramsey getting injured ruined Boro’s season, they were lacking in invention without him.

For me, I would try to get Archer a loan in the Premier League, Forest would be perfect (rate Steve Cooper), maybe a Luton.  I think he will score goals as he has raised his game everywhere he has been so let’s give him a run elsewhere and see how he does.

Best I can say is that Newcastle burnt £40m on Gordon and I wouldn’t swap him for Archer! 

Their season was ruined because they couldn't defend. 

2 hours ago, useless said:

My Archer lowdown has some negatives and positives, or what could be read as negatives, but it's mostly positive and I say I why I think next season is a big opportunity for him.

People are in danger of overrating Archer and putting too much pressure on him, I watched as many of his games as possible whilst he was out on loan, and to be honest in a lot of those other than his goals he was very quiet, if he put those performances in for us there would be people on his case, Aaron Ramsey was far more the standout player, so much so that if it wasn't for his injury I think there's a good chance that Middlesbrough would be in the Premier Leauge now, and it's not just me being biased saying that I've seen Middlesbrough fans say similar, his creativity was a massive miss, but don't see nearly as many people saying Ramsey should be given a chance as I see it being said of Archer.

My point isn't that Archer was bad, in fact overall he was very good, but talk of him being as good or better than Watkins was in in the Championship is way over the top it's not even close, and no shame in that Watkins was probably the best player in Championship in his final season.

Why I think next season is a big opportunity for him

He's a late bloomer from the academy that's earned his chance with the first team, even if he just turns out to be someone who can come off the bench and be a goal threat that still could be a very valuable option, I'm pretty sure he will get his chance this coming season, if he fails to impress he can be loan out to the Champinship in January where he will do his thing and we can get some money next summer, but I think he can do well for us, if we can have a few runs in the cup competitions I wouldn't put it passed him to get double figures.

And one final thing

I think a way in which he's underrated is his ability to run with the ball, he's played most of his football as a winger, or wide forward, so I think that side of his game goes underapprecaited, he's very creative in his own way coming from wide areas, he wouldn't be as good defensively as Jacob, but I think could probably play a similar role, he has done already, just not at Premier League level.

He's earned his chancs, lets see how he does, not expecting miracles, but wouldn't put it past him to do well.

Everyone knows Aaron is incredibly talented. He's supposedly a bigger talent than his brother and we all know how good Jacob is. If it wasn't for his injuries I think we would be clamouring for him to be in Consideration enxr year. Archer though produced at a rate last year we've basically only seen from Mitrovic and Taarabt. 17 goal contributions in about 15 games of minutes that's **** ridiculous for a 21 year old. 25 goals and assists in a 33 games worth of minutes overall in the championship. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, macandally said:

That only became an issue once their goals dried up, which coincidentally was when Ramsey got injured! 

Losing the play off semi over 2 legs by a single goal doesn’t sound like defensive frailty, sounds like they couldn’t score

Exactly that. They lost quite a few to injury and the balance wasnt right. 

On 06/07/2023 at 12:52, mjmooney said:

The kid's a natural goalscorer, and that's a rare talent. Keep him here. 

This. Look at that goal the other night. Just prodded in, no back lift. Those kind of goals go in whatever the level, whatever the opposition. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

This. Look at that goal the other night. Just prodded in, no back lift. Those kind of goals go in whatever the level, whatever the opposition. 

Yep, he has that sort of natural positioning and finishing that you can't really teach. It's not something that will disappear at Premier League level, he scores wherever he plays.

With the way we play under Emery, keeping composed and sliding the ball around the box, having someone in there who gets in position and buries chances will be very valuable.

I think it would be absolutely insane to sell him unless we get silly money. He'll be worth twice as much in 12 months, then twice as much as that 12 months later, and we've got him on a long contract.

• Like 1

I can't see us selling him. He'll go to the USA and get game time, then we'll see what happens regarding incomings and Duran.

He may go out on one more loan. But with extra fixtures next season it would be nice for him to stick around.

Pretty sure he will be around the sqaud next season & will probably be used in Europe for the early stages as he will be 1 of the 4 home grown players that have to make the sqaud regards UEFA rules playing in the competition. & know doubt play a part in domestic cups, don't see him going anywhere.

When is the squad announced?

I will be really disappointed if Archer doesn't get in the squad. I think he could be our new Sir Brian Little, given the chance.

26 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

When is the squad announced?

I will be really disappointed if Archer doesn't get in the squad. I think he could be our new Sir Brian Little, given the chance.

That is one hell of a statement

• Like 1

Â