Cameron Archer

Zatman

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Watkins is an all-round better player, hence why he's the preferred choice for three different managers.  Ings was a better finisher than Watkins, if he couldn't start in front of ollie what makes you think Archer should?

maybe so, but his scoring stats are not that much better.....Ollies all round game is better.

Cam would not be able to hold play up as good as Ollie, he wouldn't be the same physical threat to centre backs......Cam needs to play off a centre forward.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Everywhere he's been he's scored goals every level he's stepped up.

I'm not saying he'll be Pele I'm not saying he'll be Vassell but he definitely should be given a really chance and will be because he's got something you can't buy and that's mentality.

Still can't do it against a second string Bolton side though.

1 hour ago, John said:

Those two goals last night! He's at the right place now, putting the finishing touches to the experience he has gained to date, to make him ready for PL games for us next season. Like Tammy did for us, he can help Boro get promoted and then get first team football with the team that loaned him out, the following season.

I think that he already looks a £15m - £20m player and this time next year that price tag may well have doubled. I look forward to him putting pressure on for a regular starting place with us next season. Height wise, he's no Haaland, but he's taller than Kevin Phillips, Gary Lineker and Wayne Rooney, and is the same height as Andy Gray and Ollie Watkins;)

They were  great  - nice extended highlights on YT. What came across most for me were his anticipation, movement and desire. And it seemed like he could have had more if his teammates could have got their heads up at the right time

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I think people need to calm down a bit with Archer. There is a massive difference between the championship and the premier league. He is doing well for sure but you don’t have to dig too deep to see players who excel in the championship and are pants in the PL. The gulf in class is enormous.

That’s not to say he won’t succeed but the rhetoric surrounding him is a bit intense.

We picked up watkins from the championship?

He didnt seem to struggle ?

Edited by Demitri_C

I think he’s good enough for premier league football , question is can we give him the minutes? It’s pointless keeping him about to com on for 5 minutes here and there. But if he keeps up this form until end of the season then I think he will need to be tested at higher level than the championship wether that’s on loan at a premier league club or abroad, the other option is to sell him and insert a buy back clause.

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How do you know if he is reafy if you dont give him a opportunity.  Even in the cup game vs chelsea he came on scored made a huge difference.  Every time he has been given extended minutes he has delivered. 

Why is he not ready but duran is? 

I don't know, I'll leave that decision to Emery.  If he felt he was ready he'd still be here.

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The club aren’t going to let Archer go. They’ve tied him down to a long term contract. There is no rush with this kid. Let him go out on loan again next season if needs be and then bring him back when he’s 22/23. 

He looks to be improving all the time which is great to see. 

If Borough can get promoted and he stays on loan there then it's a win win. They will try and buy him though and he might want to go, if this happens then a buy back or sell on clause is a must. We need to start boxing clever.

Edited by tinker

55 minutes ago, useless said:

So wouldn't worry too much about his hold up play, it's unlikely that that would be expected to be a big part of his game....

More of a second striker, which is how he played for Preston coming in from the left and had a similar role for Middlesbrough last night.

I watched the match last night, and he gave the ball away a lot when it was played to him around the half way line, on the left as you say. it's definitely something that Boro will work on with him, because its an area where he can get a lot better, and because obviously it will help their team if the second striker (especially one with pace) can keep hold of the ball, lay it off and move, rather than have to chase back defensively after losing the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

We picked up watkins from the championship?

He didnt seem to struggle ?

also Vardy and Toney, haven't done too bad, since they came in to the Prem from the lower leagues.

Its all about what you do, to score the goals, not necessarily where you come from.

Cam will be fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

He doesn't normally lose the ball that much, not sure what was going on with him in that regard, he played with an ankle injury maybe that had something to do with it

I think it was that Sheffield United got to him quickly, onbiosly aware of the danger of letting him have a little bit of time to play - good management basically, from one of the best sides in that league. Others don't have the same standard of coaching or player. I don't think his ankle was the reason, certainly not until he went over on it fairly late on and that probably aggravated the injury he was carrying.

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

also Vardy and Toney, haven't done too bad, since they came in to the Prem from the lower leagues.

Its all about what you do, to score the goals, not necessarily where you come from.

Cam will be fine.

Vardy was 27, Toney was 25 and Ollie was 24 when the first stepped up to the Premier League.  Players who are about to enter or already in their peak years.  Not remotely the same as Archer.

Archer is simply not ready for the PL, why can people not accept this?

Watkins was much better at Championship level when we signed him than Archer is now, don't mean that as a criticism of Archer as he's younger, he doesn't actually have that much experience of first team football, in all competitions he's played about twenty-six games worth of senior football, off the top of my head I don't think there are any current Championship players as good as Watkins was.

Besides when loaning a player out espeically a young one, the decision isn't going to be just based on whether they're ready or not for us, a lot of the times it's going to be more beneficial to them to go somewhere and play more, even if we think they're good enough to do a job for us when called upon, for example I've no doubt whatsoever that Iroegbunam wouldn't look out of place playing for us, but better for him and his developoment to be playing every week, same for Archer.

3 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

There is no way! Not believing that. 

I must admit that it surprised me too. Chuba Akpom looked to have a quite few inches on him, when they were interviewed after the game, but apparently he is 1.86 and Cameron is 1.81 (Chuba must have been standing on a box;)).  

• Haha 1

I think a natural finisher like Archer will step up to the Premier League just fine. That sort of goal sense and execution will work at any level, and I think generally players like that step up well.

Remember while he'll be facing better opposition, he'll also have better teammates. But there is absolutely no rush, and i'd be very comfortable if we loaned him back out to a good quality championship side next season if we can't give him regular games.

14 minutes ago, John said:

I must admit that it surprised me too. Chuba Akpom looked to have a quite few inches on him, when they were interviewed after the game, but apparently he is 1.86 and Cameron is 1.81 (Chuba must have been standing on a box;)).  

Someone has written funny things on Wikipedia, and he appears even taller on Eurosport's site (186 cm or 6'1). In reality he is around 170 cm or 5'8. Shorter than average which is obvious just by looking at him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Archer's all round game is better than some give him credit for.

Not just better, it's actually very good, at least at Champ level.

He's not just a goal poacher.

He barely even plays through the middle as a striker.

I never really understood the comparisons to Defore for example

Archer is more of a wide forward, that's where he's played most of his career.

If he came into our side I don't think it would actually be in place of Watkins, they're different players.

So wouldn't worry too much about his hold up play, it's unlikey that that would be expected to be a big part of his game.

In current system Archer probably be better suited to the role that Bailey plays, more of a second striker.

More of a second striker, which is how he played for Preston coming in from the left and had a similar role for Middlesbrough last night.

He can score, his all round game for the type of player he is good, but all that doesn't automatically mean he's going to be good enough for Prem

We can go out and spend tens of millions on players, for Archer to be good enough for us he bascially has to become that level of player.

Lets see how he does, Middlesbrough with the way they play looks a good side for he and Ramsey to play in and impress.

Had a bit of a look on a Boro forum after last night and they appear to be thrilled with the pair of them, with what they've seen so far. Be great for our lads if they could part of something special for Boro this year, they look like they're on a real roll and could have a proper shot at the autos if Sheff Utd have a wobble.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I think people need to calm down a bit with Archer. There is a massive difference between the championship and the premier league. He is doing well for sure but you don’t have to dig too deep to see players who excel in the championship and are pants in the PL. The gulf in class is enormous.

That’s not to say he won’t succeed but the rhetoric surrounding him is a bit intense.

Calm down?

AE9139FC-1CC3-44B2-AB38-5950F563740C.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â