Cameron Archer

Zatman

I think the difference between him and Watkins showed for the goal. Ball comes into the box, Watkins takes a swing and completely misses it, Archer kills it dead and buries it. 

I suppose you could say he had an extra second or so to see the ball coming but if a half chance came up in the box I'd rather have Archer trying to finish it than Watkins.

Edited by Pembers
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

yep, Tevez is 1.71 meters tall and archer is 1.81, i just googled it but seems accurate

For context to all VTers who don’t understand metric… Tommy Elphick is 1.01

Edited by CarryOnVilla

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Call me all old fashioned but I am quite a fan of strikers who are natural finishers. Other than Tammy who was on loan with us, I can't remember a Villa striker who has looked like this for years. Maybe Yorke in the 90s.

Without starting a Tammy discussion (but I am, apologies) - Tammy wasn't (isn't) a natural finisher either IMO. He also misses lots of chances. Dwight Yorke was though for sure.

Archer took his goal well and his overall game was decent enough. His pace caused their defence problems and on another day he may have had five goals - 1) Just failing to connect to Buendia's ball in. 2) One where he probably should have laid Watkins in but took the defender on and shot over the bar. 3) One he dragged wide (should have scored that). 4) One that deflected wide and the one he scored.

I think he's a more natural finisher than Watkins, but he's still quite raw. I wouldn't mind having him on the bench should we be chasing a game, but I would love if we sign another top quality striker and loan out Archer to continue his development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Without starting a Tammy discussion (but I am, apologies) - Tammy wasn't (isn't) a natural finisher either IMO. He also misses lots of chances. Dwight Yorke was though for sure.

Archer took his goal well and his overall game was decent enough. His pace caused their defence problems and on another day he may have had five goals - 1) Just failing to connect to Buendia's ball in. 2) One where he probably should have laid Watkins in but took the defender on and shot over the bar. 3) One he dragged wide (should have scored that). 4) One that deflected wide and the one he scored.

I think he's a more natural finisher than Watkins, but he's still quite raw. I wouldn't mind having him on the bench should we be chasing a game, but I would love if we sign another top quality striker and loan out Archer to continue his development.

I don't want to start a Tammy talk either but if you look at this record in the round its about 1 goal in 2 games, and Ollie is  1 in 3. I might have  a overgenerous view of Tammy as it was the Championship and not Premier League but he was class that year. 

Back  to Archer  he really does show a lot of promise and I think this could be his break out year.

• Like 3

What a refreshing attitude compared to chuck.

Told he will know if he's in 1st team squad or on loan at the end of the tour and says he is happy to do what villa see fit for his development. Would prefer playing for villa but happy to be loaned for the games and experience.

Someone with common sense who knows if we think he's ready he will play the minutes for us, if not they will make sure he keeps progressing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't want to start a Tammy talk either but if you look at this record in the round its about 1 goal in 2 games, and Ollie is  1 in 3. I might have  a overgenerous view of Tammy as it was the Championship and not Premier League but he was class that year. 

Back  to Archer  he really does show a lot of promise and I think this could be his break out year.

Tammy has a great goal record, but even Roma fans will tell you his finishing isn't the best. He still misses a lot, he just gets a shit ton of chances.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

with 5 subs.  

Personally think the 5 sub rule is being overplayed a lot by some people. I think most managers won’t use 5 subs, it will only be a rarity and then only for a couple of minutes. 

As for Archer, fair ply for keeping his form and confidence high with another goal. He’s obviously worked so hard to improve the last few years.

Â