Bolton Wanderers & Bury thread

Xela

Looks like both teams are very close to going out of business. Desperately sad for the fans and the loyal staff who work there as well as the players. 

Bolton were founder members of the football league. Bury are 134 years old. 

With so much money in football nowadays at the top, its awful to see teams like this scratch around for money to survive.

Goes to show, most clubs are a bad owner away from oblivion - just look at us last summer! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Maybe it’s just me, but why can’t the rich Premier League clubs stop this from happening? Such a sad state of affairs and it’s only going to get worse over the coming years/decades. 

I'm sure Man Utd used to use Gigg Lane at Bury for their reserve games. I'm sure if they moved their U23, U19 and women's games back there now it would help a little (they currently use the Leigh rugby league stadium)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Maybe it’s just me, but why can’t the rich Premier League clubs stop this from happening? Such a sad state of affairs and it’s only going to get worse over the coming years/decades. 

Alexis sanches £250k a week would keep Bury going for months, and he doesn't even feature in the man utd squad

This why football clubs go bust

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It’s a nice idea, but I think the “I’m alright Jack” mentality would come in.

But if it didn’t and the rich clubs could help out financially, would it be open to misuse? Dubious owners deliberately going bust so they get a nice hand out? I don’t know if that would be the case, but it sounds plausible to my financially limited mind.

Big clubs allowing young players out on loan, gain experience and agreeing to still pay 100% of the wages? I’d imagine that already happens in some cases, but maybe something more official in place?

58 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm sure Man Utd used to use Gigg Lane at Bury for their reserve games. I'm sure if they moved their U23, U19 and women's games back there now it would help a little (they currently use the Leigh rugby league stadium)

Being able to change the venue in the FA cup if you draw Man Utd at home...that’s no longer the case, am I right in thinking?

That’s only a small thing and doesn’t help smaller clubs en masse, but it wouldn’t hurt if that option was made available once again.

Not sure what a fit and proper owners test could do to be honest, much like Lerner with us when he bought the club his intentions were good, when he pulls the plug years later and we rotted what can they do? They can't force a sale 

As for the distribution of money there are so many channels it could come from, the FA, the EFL, the PL, other teams, the players, theyre too busy lining their own pockets to care and the problem is once theyve saved one how many come for money? There are a lot of clubs on the brink

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure what a fit and proper owners test could do to be honest, much like Lerner with us when he bought the club his intentions were good, when he pulls the plug years later and we rotted what can they do? They can't force a sale 

As for the distribution of money there are so many channels it could come from, the FA, the EFL, the PL, other teams, the players, theyre too busy lining their own pockets to care and the problem is once theyve saved one how many come for money? There are a lot of clubs on the brink

Reading up that some guy tried to buy them last season and for some reason he is not allowed and apparently has made things even worse

Without knowing the details of where the money has gone or why they're going bump or what the owners are doing

The idea that they're shit owners who could put their hand in their pocket and put money in to the club and save them... Aren't there rules against that? 

2 hours ago, sne said:

73e8c8a0-68f5-4a58-948a-8d68cb25f3b5?fit=crop&h=561&q=50&w=1100&s=416f6f77e28a7d3fbd871b52b4cffc6234198cfe

Also Bolton manager Parkinson has resigned after a shaky start.

Am I the only one who was looking for Cilla in the window?

Horrible situation for both clubs. Just shows how ruined this game is. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Bury have sailed very close to the wind before, nearly went bust in 2001 (and 2009) and first time Man. United actually sent a team to Gigg Lane to play them in a pre season friendly.

Ultimately Bury have been spending beyond their means for many years (were paying likes of Beckford 3-4k a week in league one) and if you research they've been late paying lots of taxs bills and had winding up orders. This has been coming.

Little different for Bolton. Just an example of a club who fell out of premier league, couldn't get back up, parachute payments dry up and relegations happen. Eddie Davies isn't around anymore to write out cheques at short notice either.

Think it's way it's going Bolton will rebuild in league 2 like Portsmouth have done and slowly climb the leagues again. Think Bury are going out of FL and will have to rebuild like Stockport County who until last season were in the national league north. Wasn't so long ago they were established championship club.

Both clubs are in a financial mess and have been for a while. They’ve made bad decisions and spent money that they haven’t got. Expecting rich clubs to bail them out just doesn’t work and for all the obscene amounts of money flowing around the game that isn’t the solution. These clubs wasted their own money, so I wouldn’t expect them to be more prudent with other people’s. 

Clubs such as Brentford, who are historically considerably smaller than Bolton and Bury are run extremely well and have a sustainable plan. There’s no reason why other clubs can’t have their own sustainability plan. 

I feel for the fans but pumping money in just puts a sticking plaster over it. Money, although important, can’t save or kill a club. It may be a necessary evil, but the heart is the fans and that will never die. They need to regroup and find a way to carry their clubs forward, which may be extremely painful in the short term, but if the will is there, then it can be done. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Bolton were playing good football less than 7 years ago in the PL.

that's why the bad owner and fit and proper stuff is slightly detracting from some of the real issues

the fall out from the PL, the disparity in money, the increasing wages in the EFL and the gamble that a lot of clubs, not just these 2, are now taking

its not as simple as bad owners, and unfortunately that's why throwing a life line to these 2 clubs doesn't really do that much to fix anything 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the fall out from the PL, the disparity in money, the increasing wages in the EFL and the gamble that a lot of clubs, not just these 2, are now taking

This is the crux of it.

There's still a lot of money in the lower leagues, and teams should cut their clothes accordingly. The problem is the bigger prize a level up, and that they gamble on spending more than they have to get there.

Wonder if it wasn't for Salford, whether the Neville's would have got involved considering their big connection to the club 

Â