Bolton Wanderers & Bury thread

Xela

• 1 month later...

Bolton have been handed a five points suspended penalty, and a fine of £35k for failing to fulfil those fixtures, which has come as a surprise as most were predicting that they'd be deducted points for sure. Sets a dangerous precedent, now clubs know if they have an injury crisis, or even just a few key players out, they can just refuse to play without any real consequences.

12 hours ago, useless said:

Bolton have been handed a five points suspended penalty, and a fine of £35k for failing to fulfil those fixtures, which has come as a surprise as most were predicting that they'd be deducted points for sure. Sets a dangerous precedent, now clubs know if they have an injury crisis, or even just a few key players out, they can just refuse to play without any real consequences.

I think Bolton's situation is/was somewhat unique, they didn't manipulate a situation to be more favourable for themselves, they were on the verge of going out of business for good.

I think a clear distinction can be drawn between that and some club making up a story about having no fit players available.

• Like 2

They failed to fulfil the Doncaster fixture this season after their takeover, they'd already been saved, even most of their fans think they were in the wrong and are surprised that they haven't been punished more harshly. Yes ti's true that they had a number of U23s having to play for them at the time, but that shouldn't be a reason to just announce you're not going to play a game 36 hours before kick-off, they'd already played four games this season. Besides have just read that the EFL are appealing the decision as they feel it's too lenient, and you can see why as it doesn't really deter other clubs from failing to fulfil fixtures when it suits them.

Was that the game when they couldn't get enough stewards or am I think of last season?

Actually pretty sure there was leniency shown when they basically gave up on the last day and cancelled it as Brentford were travelling north. Weren't deducted points for  that so yes probably fortunate to get away with it.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe best thread for it but I know he is in his rights as they owe him money but as a millionaire I find it a bit disturbing that Sol Campbell wants Macclesfield wound up 

Yep, and he wonders why it’s taken him so long be given a shot.

i obviously can’t profess to know his financial situation but I’d be amazed if he’s missing that £180k greatly (I do appreciate there’s a principle in all of this though) and he’s willing to see the club go out of business for it.

Shocking actually.

• 3 years later...
Â