Bolton Wanderers & Bury thread

Xela

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

That's not football's problem - that's business. Regardless of whether you are running Manchester United or the local chippy. 

Each business takes risks, each is always looking over the shoulder in fear of not going bust. Some make good moves, some make bad moves. Some owners work the cash register and mop up at the end of the day, others bark orders through the phone.

One thing is the same - each put in money and effort to reach the promised land. For some that's a decent livelihood for their family and a chance to put some bread on the table, for others that's £127m a year. 

If you are an idiot and have chosen a bad strategy (i.e Xia or Dale), I think you need to look in the mirror first of all and admit, 'I was the problem here'.  And realise, that you blew your chance at reaching the promised land.

I feel really sorry for the fans. I do not feel sorry for the people who run the club - it's their fault, and not Sky, EFL, Greed or anything else. 

If people took responsibility for their own actions and put their hand up to say 'It was my fault' maybe, just maybe, we will have more people being able to learn from their own mistakes rather than blaming everyone else around. And I believe that to be true in all walks of life.

I think we just need to agree we both have different views on this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think it would just be a case of paying off any debts and they'd suddenly be okay, they probably need someone who's going to continue funding them. Besides and I don't know if this is true, but I have seen suggestions that Steve Dale had offers to buy the club but turned them down because the land that the ground is on is worth more to him.

From what I can find they are £ 3,7 million in debt on their stadium. So we are thinking even if they were helped with £ 4 million, they would be running at a deficit? In that case they are deeper problems than their debt. Shame. 

If they actually could survive and develop with a £ 4 million investment, it feels really shit that nobody is coming in from the PL when you look at the money being thrown around. £ 4 million. Remind me again how much we spent on Hogan, McCormack and what not. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

28 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Probably a stupid question. But how much money were Bury in debt? Would it be impossible for AVFC to pay it off, assuming it's just a few million, and develop a relationship with Bury for bleeding in young players? Not only can you benefit from such, it would be a PR hollywood story. 

yeah i'm up for that. and while we're at it let's give all clubs in the lower leagues a few quid too...the PR hollywood story would be even bigger and better then

21 hours ago, Davkaus said:

BREAKING NEWS: They're scum.

Boycott Sky. Anyone who gives money to these scumbags is part of the problem. If you can't get to the game, pirate it rather than giving these arseholes money. 

So, I buy a ST and subscribe to Sky.

I reckon I’m putting a fair bit of money into the football system.

You say I’m part of the problem.

How much are people who watch illegal Streams putting in ?

• Like 1

They've officially been sold, so are presumably saved. The statement on their website doesn't hold back against their previous owner Ken Anderson...

' The Trust were forced to constantly compromise their position in the face of circumstances and demands which were wholly unreasonable. This says much about their determination not to allow Eddie's beloved Bolton Wanderers to suffer any longer at the hands of Ken Anderson.

"Sadly, Mr Anderson has used his position as a secured creditor to hamper and frustrate any deal that did not benefit him or suit his purposes. Thankfully, with the assistance of the Trust and others, we were able to overcome this obstacle. '

11 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Judging on the clip of the Bury owner’s interview, I can only assume that the fit & proper test doesn’t begin with something like “Question 1 - Do you have any particular interest in football?”.

Question 2 could be a bit trickier, something like “When were you first made aware of the existence of the football club you are looking to buy?”.

Might help a bit in the filtering out process.

The 'fit and proper person test' is just a basic criminal record check, nothing more. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The 'fit and proper person test' is just a basic criminal record check, nothing more. 

Really? Seems a bit insufficient.

I might not have backed Dr T so enthusiastically at the time if I had known that.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Really? Seems a bit insufficient.

I might not have backed Dr T so enthusiastically at the time if I had known that.

From the David Conn article linked on the previous page:

'The “fit and proper person” owners and directors test is waiting to be expanded into more than just a basic check of criminal convictions, but having agreed that in principle last summer, the clubs have still not settled on the practicalities.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/27/bury-historic-club-football-league-financial-ruins

• Thanks 1

The group that were going to buy Bury pulled out with just 90 minutes remaining, until the EFL deadline was due to expire. There were two other potential buyers, but the EFL refused to extend the deadline to give them the same opportunity to finalise a deal that the group that had pulled out at the last minute had been given.

One of those two groups, deposited £7m into a bank account yesterday (within 24 hours of the deadline expiring) which was to clear Bury's debts and to meet their ongoing running costs.

The EFL were therefore asked to rescind their decision to expel Bury from the league and were told that if they did, they would be able to fulfil their fixtures, starting from Saturday.

There has, as yet been no response from the EFL. Are they really going to be so harsh, as to not look again at their decision to cancel Bury's membership of the Football League, rather than to extend the deadline they themselves imposed, to allow this change of ownership to happen? Or will they instead allow players and club staff to lose their jobs, as well as fans to lose their club, because of their unwillingness to change their decision to end this football club's existence?

Edited by John
  • Like 2

I wonder what happens to the club itself - because that will not die.

People close to it will keep it going. Do they start somewhere in the depths of non league?

Will thousands of fans still go and watch them?

48 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

People close to it will keep it going. Do they start somewhere in the depths of non league?

Start from beginning I think. Stockport and Chester I think had to do it, maybe Darlington I think as well. Even abroad bigger clubs like Parma and Fiorentina

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I would imagine they would be chucked straight in to the northern premier or the conference north. It is not uncommon for a few big teams to end up there that end up playing in front of 3000+ people against the odd team that struggles to attract 100 people through the gates.

Wondering if there is a bit of hope for some of the players at least if they are made free agents as bolton is only 6 miles or so down the road and they barely even have a squad and can't actually buy anyone for months yet. Could 6 or 7 (or more) Bury players end up at bolton, at least in the short term?

My hometown club Newport went bust in the 80’s having been a league club, their story is amazing actually as had to play for the first few years after reforming in England as Newport county council refused to help them re establish in Newport (arseholes) - hence the club nickname ‘The Exiles’.

Newport had to start right at the bottom, I used to go watch them in the beazer homes midland south division or some shit like that, crowds of 150 people on a good day, fast forward to now and they’re back in the league and pulling in crowds of around 3000, along the way were some really interesting times, Managers such as Dean Holdsworth and Justin Edinburgh (RIP) were successful and at one point a local lottery winner bought the club.

Its actually a really interesting story, well worth reading up on in spare time.

• Like 2

So the BBC understands that the EFL have refused to rescind their decision to throw Bury out of the Football League, despite the £7m bid, that I mentioned earlier being available. 

A local MP (Ivan Lewis - no relation;)) is quoted as being "Very disappointed by EFL decision today and failure to engage seriously with a credible plan to save the club." I share his opinion. Obviously they see their decision as final, whatever the consequences for the club's fans, players and staff. Does anyone who has made that decision care about football? Or is it seen as being more important to back their own decision by killing off Bury, than to try to help a club that has a previously unbroken 125 year history of league membership? ⚰️ :(

Link to the BBC Sport web-site story below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49509774 

• 4 weeks later...
Â