Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

5 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Skip to 1.06 and this girl explains probably better than anyone on here about how we are not doing a Fulham, and this shouldn’t even be a topic. 

She's good on the subject of Steve Bruce, too. 

Norwich have signed 11 players but because they cost a combined £1.1m (not even joking) nobody seems to have noticed. I’d much rather have our worries about bedding in quality players than bedding in players that cost £100k in to the PL.

Edited by alreadyexists

47 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I look forward to joining in the fun after match 37 this season.

Until then, I encourage anyone tempted to brag about how well we are doing before the season has even begun to have a glance at the dictionary - look for “hubris”.

You're right, and there is a bit of hubris creeping in at the moment...

...but that doesn't change the fact that "Doing a Fulham" is lazy, ignorant analysis, and deserves to be mocked from Matchday 1, even if Spurs pump us 7-0.

Can't believe this threads popped up.

Easy to answer, yes it terms of spending money, no in terms of the talent we've gotten from spending that money.

The money we spent on the talent we've brought in should be enough to keep us up, at that point we won't of done a Fulham.

That's the answer to this silliness, in people's  eyes we fail and get relegated we've done a Fulham, we stay in the premier and survive we've done a wolves.

it's also daft all this, we knew before we entered the premier that we needed to do a complete rebuild after letting Ton's of players go, what did they expect us to do, not spend a penny of it and just throw youths in to fill the gaps. 

We had a few that we needed to buy that we wanted back from last season like Hause,Mings and Ghazi, then there's the players Smith knew like Jota and Konsa. That's five players and there cost you can take away from what people are saying is the Fulham spree considering that they were at Villa before or at Brentford with Smith in the past.

Did Fulham do any scouting or keep an eye on any of the players they bought, not so sure the did they just fetched them in without homework which us not what Villa have done here, Villa did there work on there targets.

Structure, the rebuild has Been structured around the older players of last season and built to flow in a way that the team attacks, attacks and attacks with possession in mind, there seems to be a real game plan. Many fans of Villa will know or have an idea of what the plan is, but you ask these people who throw out were doing a Fulham and they havnt a clue, to them were just doing a Fulham.

Current market has sky rocketed, it will be the norm now in spending what you got promoted with, it's easy done to try and survive the prem, I don't understand why it's even an issue on that alone. You cant survive the prem on what just what you went up with, not when clubs in the top flight are spending 40+ mill on one player themselves.

Edited by Dave-R

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

How is that even possible?! 😱

Here’s Norwich’s players in (I was a little off but nearly right), a couple of undisclosed fees but startlingly little money spent. I’d be worried as a Norwich fan. 

Sam Byram (West Ham, £750,000), Aidan Fitzpatrick (Partick Thistle, £350,000*), Daniel Adshead (Rochdale, £300,000*), Rocky Bushiri (KV Oostende, £100,000), Archie Mair (Aberdeen, undisclosed), Rob Nizet (Anderlecht, undisclosed), Josip Drmic (Borussia Monchengladbach, free), Charlie Gilmour (Arsenal, free), Patrick Roberts (Man City, loan), Ralf Fahrmann (Schalke, loan), Reece McAlear (Motherwell, undisclosed).

• Thanks 1

Lazy journalism from a media we know that loves it when bigger clubs fail. 

I prefer to think we are looking more like doing a Wolves (much as that hurt to even type 😉 )

Same lazy conclusion to a lot of signings but I do think we will be closer to the latter than the former comparison

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Here’s Norwich’s players in (I was a little off but nearly right), a couple of undisclosed fees but startlingly little money spent. I’d be worried as a Norwich fan. 

Sam Byram (West Ham, £750,000), Aidan Fitzpatrick (Partick Thistle, £350,000*), Daniel Adshead (Rochdale, £300,000*), Rocky Bushiri (KV Oostende, £100,000), Archie Mair (Aberdeen, undisclosed), Rob Nizet (Anderlecht, undisclosed), Josip Drmic (Borussia Monchengladbach, free), Charlie Gilmour (Arsenal, free), Patrick Roberts (Man City, loan), Ralf Fahrmann (Schalke, loan), Reece McAlear (Motherwell, undisclosed).

What's sheffield United's??

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

What's sheffield United's??

Lys Mousset (Bournemouth, £10m), Callum Robinson (Preston, £6m*), Luke Freeman (QPR, £5m*), Phil Jagielka (Everton, free), Ravel Morrison (unattached, free), Ben Osborn (Nottingham Forest, undisclosed), Dean Henderson (Manchester United, loan).

A bit more spent, but a lot of people to bed in. 

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I look forward to joining in the fun after match 37 this season.

Until then, I encourage anyone tempted to brag about how well we are doing before the season has even begun to have a glance at the dictionary - look for “hubris”.

I’ve checked the dictionary and discovered Hubris is Greek. I can’t find a lot else about him, does he play for Panathinaikos? Either way if he’s any good I’m sure we’ll sign him and march on to win the league. Not sure we’ll get it done until the very last game though, but I admire your optimism. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Lys Mousset (Bournemouth, £10m), Callum Robinson (Preston, £6m*), Luke Freeman (QPR, £5m*), Phil Jagielka (Everton, free), Ravel Morrison (unattached, free), Ben Osborn (Nottingham Forest, undisclosed), Dean Henderson (Manchester United, loan).

A bit more spent, but a lot of people to bed in. 

It's just that we've spent a lot of money. Sounds like jealousy from a few clubs that we have cash to spend on who we want. 

If anything, Norwich and Sheffield United are the ones that should be worried, looking at their signings. Ravel Morrison? Jesus wept.

• Like 2

The reality is that nobody would set out trying to buy this many players, unfortunately we didn't have a choice. The jury is out on the quality, my villa heart says they are all unbelievable, I suspect if another club had bought this many from Belgium and lower leagues we would probably be laughing at them. Time will tell but I'm still not sure what options we had.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Given that they somehow signed Buendia for 1.3 million and Pukki for absolutely nothing 12 months ago i'm guessing not too many of their fans will be too concerned that they aren't spending a great deal on individual players

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Best argument I've seen against us doing a Fulham. 8 of these players available to start against Spurs:

1369532032_ScreenShot2019-07-31at17_07_34.png.3803bcce9814b57a7ccdc67f4cb9d2ff.png

Not really sure that means anything, Fulham kept most of their promotion winning squad together then added a load more to it. Would be surprised if more than 4 of those players above start against Spurs

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not really sure that means anything, Fulham kept most of their promotion winning squad together then added a load more to it. Would be surprised if more than 4 of those players above start against Spurs

I think Mings, Hourihane, Grealish, McGinn and El Ghazi will all start, with Elmo a definite possibility. Think the play-off final was a turning point for Hourihane as far as DS is concerned, and he will show faith in him.