Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Genuinely think there is more chance of us doing a Leicester than a Fulham. 

I'll get your username tattooed on my arse if we do. Definitely more chance of a Fulham. Not because we are crap, but because there will be a massive period to settle in - and we haven't played decent opposition yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

I'll get your username tattooed on my arse if we do. Definitely more chance of a Fulham. Not because we are crap, but because there will be a massive period to settle in - and we haven't played decent opposition yet.

You realise Leicester went up and finished 14th?

I think there's every chance you'll be getting a tattoo.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

You realise Leicester went up and finished 14th?

I think there's every chance you'll be getting a tattoo.

Think he meant winning the league, no chance of that. 

Player Age Nat. Left Fee
Sum: 116,50 Mill. €
This looks very different to us , a lot of loans for one

Jean Michaël Seri Jean Michaël Seri
Central Midfield
26 Cote d'Ivoire
OGC Nice OGC Nice
FranceLigue 1
30,00 Mill. €

André Zambo Anguissa André Zambo Anguissa
Defensive Midfield
22 Cameroon
Olympique Marseille Marseille
FranceLigue 1
24,85 Mill. €

Aleksandar Mitrovic Aleksandar Mitrovic
Centre-Forward
23 Serbia
Newcastle United Newcastle
EnglandPremier League
24,70 Mill. €

Alfie Mawson Alfie Mawson
Centre-Back
24 England
Swansea City Swansea
EnglandChampionship
16,85 Mill. €

Joe Bryan Joe Bryan
Left-Back
24 England
Bristol City Bristol City
EnglandChampionship
6,70 Mill. €

Fabri Fabri
Goalkeeper
30 Spain
Uruguay
Besiktas JK Besiktas
TurkeySüper Lig
6,00 Mill. €

Maxime Le Marchand Maxime Le Marchand
Centre-Back
28 France
OGC Nice OGC Nice
FranceLigue 1
4,00 Mill. €

Ryan Babel Ryan Babel
Left Winger
32 Netherlands
Suriname
Besiktas JK Besiktas
TurkeySüper Lig
2,00 Mill. €

Havard Nordtveit Havard Nordtveit
Defensive Midfield
28 Norway
TSG 1899 Hoffenheim TSG Hoffenheim
GermanyBundesliga
Loan fee:
1,00 Mill. €

André Schürrle André Schürrle
Left Winger
27 Germany
Borussia Dortmund Bor. Dortmund
GermanyBundesliga
Loan fee:
400 Th. €

Lazar Markovic Lazar Markovic
Right Winger
24 Serbia
Liverpool FC Liverpool
EnglandPremier League
Free Transfer

Timothy Fosu-Mensah Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Right-Back
20 Netherlands
Ghana
Manchester United Man Utd
EnglandPremier League
Loan

Calum Chambers Calum Chambers
Centre-Back
23 England
Arsenal FC Arsenal
EnglandPremier League
Loan

Luciano Vietto Luciano Vietto
Centre-Forward
24 Argentina
Italy
Atlético Madrid Atlético Madrid
SpainLaLiga
Loan

Sergio Rico Sergio Rico
Goalkeeper
24 Spain
Sevilla FC Sevilla FC
SpainLaLiga
Loan

Stefan Johansen Stefan Johansen
Central Midfield
28 Norway
West Bromwich Albion West Brom
EnglandChampionship
End of loan
May 31, 2019

Berti Schötterl Berti Schötterl
Goalkeeper
24 Germany
Woking FC Woking FC
EnglandEngland
End of loan
Jan 8, 2019

Tayo Edun Tayo Edun
Defensive Midfield
20 England
Ipswich Town Ipswich
EnglandChampionship
End of loan
Dec 31, 2018

Goalkeeper
24 Germany
Metropolitan Police Met Police
EnglandEngland
End of loan
May 31, 2019

Cauley Woodrow Cauley Woodrow
Centre-Forward
24 England
Barnsley FC Barnsley FC
EnglandLeague One
End of loan
Jan 2, 2019

Goalkeeper
23 Germany
Dartford FC Dartford
EnglandEngland
End of loan
May 31, 2018

Marcelo Djaló Marcelo Djaló
Centre-Back
25 Guinea-Bissau
Spain
Extremadura UD Extremadura
SpainLaLiga2
End of loan
Jan 31, 2019
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we are doing a Fulham here.

We are doing something completely unheard of, it's Fulham on steroids if anything.

A newly promoted Man City if anything.

Not something to be proud of, we just had to as we had no squad left going into this season.

we happen to have filthy rich owners who can bankroll this absurd spending, if we hadn't we'd had have to beg borrow and steal, but we'd still have to sign a whole new squad.

Fulham wish they'd have done a Villa.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We might end up doing a Fulham and we might not. Only time will tell.

Buying 10 + players in one window is never ideal. It's alot of change in a short space of time and a lot of new boys needs to settle fast.

Even if we go down, we won't have "done a Fulham".

We've done loads of business early in the transfer window, and we've built around our core of Mings, Grealish, and McGinn. Every single signing we've made has been to fill a gap or to upgrade on a player who obviously wasn't Premier League quality.

Fulham did loads of panic business on deadline day, signed known trouble makers (Mitrovic) and perennial underachievers (Shurrle, Babel), and then sacked their manager in November.

Most of our new signings are players the manager has worked with before (Mings, Hause, El Ghazi, Jota, Konsa). Targett and Heaton both have Premier League experience.

We might be shit, and we might come 19th or 20th, but whatever happens, we won't do a Fulham.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Same here, Like it or not there is a slight element of us doing the same as them. Sure we needed a whole new team/squad but there are massive risks that go with that, especially at this level where there are plenty of teams capable of giving you (& each other) an absolute hiding. We could actually start against Spurs with only 3 players that have ever even played a competitive game for us

By doing the same as them do you mean getting relegated? If so, we'd be one of 8 or so teams under that same threat. 3 teams get relegated every year. Only thing that makes Fulham unique, if you could even call them that, is that they spent a lot of money. They had their reasons, and we have ours. We're not doing a Fulham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we go down, it won’t be because we’ve ‘done a fulham’, it will be because our scouting team didn’t do their homework properly. 

No. It's because KentVillan started this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Fulham spent millions on players who never played with each other, never worked with the manager; half of which, on deadline day.

Unnecessarily too. Betinelli was on the cusp of an England call-up and more than good enough to be their starting keeper for example. What did they do? Sign 2 Spanish keepers to play ahead of him.

• Like 1

It's a very lazy comparison, and any pundit who uses the comparison should take some time to brush up on their knowledge. It's lazy shorthand for 'a newly promoted team spending alot of money', but plays into a narrative of failure. 

It's indicative of the shocking level of analysis and punditry that mainstream media outlets put out there. Are we going to say that Man City are 'doing a Liverpool' if they win the Champions League this season? 

Due to poor management over many years at the end of last season we had an old squad who were paid far too much money. There was always going to be a high turnover of players this pre season. However Villa have also invested a significant amount of money in the squad. It's an interesting story, undoubtedly it will raise a few eyebrows. 

Unfortunately many pundits know so little of football outside of England that any player that hasn't played in the Premier League is considered an unknown quantity and a 'risk'. Which is something I've always found amusing. 'Premier League experience' nonsense. We've signed lots of players that have never played in the Premier League, so clowns like Allardyce ("If my name were Allerdinho, I'd be Barcelona manager") think we've loaded up football manager and YouTube and clicked around randomly until the signings have completed. 

For probably the first time ever, we as fans can understand the rationale behind each and every signing. Although our model isn't complete, we can see in the way that we try to play that we are looking for certain qualities in players. Central defenders with confidence on the ball, midfielders with a good engine and good technique, wide players with variation in their play (not just nippy wingers and crossers) etc.  Underpinning these footballing qualities are the personal qualities that we are now looking for in players. The importance of players that take ownership of their development, that work for the team and want to improve. And alongside the footballing and personal qualities of the players, the recruitment makes sense on a business level. Younger players with resale value or who's value will increase. 

I don't really know that much about what Fulham did last season, I know they brought in a few big names with "Premier League experience" and it didn't work out for them. Lazy pundits will put it down to 'they didn't gel' or 'too much change'. But from what I could see their recruitment only made sense on a surface level. There didn't seem to be a cohesive strategy in place that  looked beyond the next 12 months. 

But meh, this isn't really about Fulham, it's about Villa and I think we've done a pretty job. Without a ball being kicked in anger that opinion is based on what I can piece together from what I've hear about players, what I know about Smith and what I've heard from Purslow. I'm confident we won't 'do a Fulham', if 'doing a Fulham' means getting relegated. 

Edited by PompeyVillan
  • Like 4

If Fulham had done what they did 6 years ago nobody would be mentioning them but as it was last season, They got promoted, signed loads of players and had an awful season you can see why people are making an easy comparison. Circumstances/necessity are different but you can guarantee that very few people who follow/write/talk about the premier league have a clue what happened to anyone in the championship . They will just see 3 different teams every year and not have a clue that some of them have had 15+ players leave that need replacing. Hell there will be plenty of people who have started watching football over the past 2/3 years that wouldn't even know that we existed at all until they saw a new name on the fixture list

Edited by LakotaDakota

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

If Fulham had done what they did 6 years ago nobody would be mentioning them but as it was last season, They got promoted, signed loads of players and had an awful season you can see why people are making an easy comparison. Circumstances/necessity are different but you can guarantee that very few people who follow/write/talk about the premier league have a clue what happened to anyone in the championship . They will just see 3 different teams every year and not have a clue that some of them have had 15+ players leave that need replacing

The point is, pundits are paid to know about these things.

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The point is, pundits are paid to know about these things.

Not really, Outside of the BBC they are paid to talk about things that will generate calls, tweets, word of mouth & advertising.

They are pundits, not analysts/experts. The analysis predicted us to finish 15th.

Out of all of the pundits on tv/radio/newspapers etc i'm sure you would stuggle to fill a mini-bus with the ones that could have even picked an 11 of players made up from Us, Norwich & Sheff utd combined

Edited by LakotaDakota

40 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

1) Fulham spent millions on players who never played with each other, 2) never worked with the manager; 3) half of which, on deadline day.

1) so have we.  

2) so have we. 

3) this is simply not true. 

The most annoying thing about the 'doing a Fulham' thing is it's not like we've got much choice about it is there? Had we not been very busy in the market we wouldn't have a team let alone a squad - the squad last year was propped up with loans and experienced heads in the final year of their contract. We've HAD to 'do a Fulham'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1