Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1) so have we.  

2) so have we. 

3) this is simply not true. 

The only new signing who have never played with either each other or the manager is Guilibert. 

Yes it is. To an extent, maybe not half but they signed 4/5 on deadline day (not checking)

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1) so have we.  

2) so have we. 

3) this is simply not true. 

Half of our signings have worked with the manager before.

The deadline day point is fair. They brought in 6 players between 7-9 August. Fulham's starting line up on the opening day of the season had a defence including Chambers (loaned on 7 August) and Bryan (signed on 9 August). The next game against Spurs again features Chambers and Bryan, and also shoehorned in Fosu-Mensah at right back (loaned on 9 August). Le Marchand played both games at CB (preferred position is LB), and he was signed in mid-July.

Compare with 3 of our likely back 4 (Guilbert, Targett, Mings) all having a full pre-season. It's only going to be the keeper and the second CB that will have to slot in.

It's the same across the park. In every position we either have an established player, or a player who has worked with Smith before. We could easily put out a team of:

Steer

Guilbert Konsa/Chester Mings Targett

McGinn Hourihane Grealish

Jota Wesley El Ghazi

...with Wesley being the only player who doesn't tick those boxes, and he's been here since mid-June. The idea that we've ripped out the spine of our team is just ludicrous. Who are they talking about? Alan Hutton?

Edited by KentVillan
  • Thanks 1

It's just media nonsense, Wolves signed 11 player for around £100m the season they came up, but nobody mentions them in the same conversation.

The difference is they seemed to have a more solid base when they came up and delayed paying some fee's until January or the end of the season. 

It could go either way, but we won't go down just because we've bought in lots of players and spent lots of money.

• Like 1

Jota - Played under Smith
El Ghazi - Played under Smith for Aston Villa
Hause - Played under Smith for Aston Villa
Mings - Played under Smith for Aston Villa
Targett - Played with Jack Grealish for England
Konsa - Played under Smith
Engels, Wesley, Nakamba - Played with each other at Brugge
Trezeguet - Played with Elmo with Egypt for 5 years
Guilbert, Luiz - Neither

Only 2 of our signings haven't played under Smith or with another teammate in the past.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yes it is. To an extent, maybe not half but they signed 4/5 on deadline day (not checking)

But that's not what you said.  What you said was wrong. Incorrect. Not true. 

24 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

But that's not what you said.  What you said was wrong. Incorrect. Not true. 

Thanks for putting me right. 

What about points 1 and 2? Care to put me right there too?

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Thanks for putting me right. 

What about points 1 and 2? Care to put me right there too?

Don't see an incorrect statement there, just feel it's a weird point to bring forth when it covers our transfer activity as well. So no. 

59 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The most annoying thing about the 'doing a Fulham' thing is it's not like we've got much choice about it is there? Had we not been very busy in the market we wouldn't have a team let alone a squad - the squad last year was propped up with loans and experienced heads in the final year of their contract. We've HAD to 'do a Fulham'.

I've seen the same twaddle on three different PL football forums. On a Newcastle forum another fan pointed out the long list of players we've lost and that we needed a squad for the PL. They just hated admitting it was a good reason for us spending big money. Such a weird discussion. 

Casual observers will probably see our transfers and see that we've signed a defender who can't get in the Bournemouth team, another who can't get in the Wolves' team or squad, and then another defender from Brentford that is still seen as a rookie, a right-back who they probably haven't heard of and who's last team was relegated, a left-back that quite a few Southampton fans don't rate, a midfielder with no experience of the Premier league, and wasn't always a regular starter for Girona, a winger that Lille didn't want, another that has come from a mid-table turkish league club, a striker who only scored ten goals in the Belgium league, a player signed from Small Heath. Of course it's not as simple as all that, but it's the kind of thing that anyone not following the situation closely will think, alongside things like 'Championship players', 'too many signings', 'no Premier league experience', and so on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Thought it would be nice to collect amusing examples of people accusing us of doing a Fulham this season, as I imagine we'll be hearing this for at least the next 6 months (or forever, if we actually do a Fulham).

Looking forward to the We're Doing A Fulham chants when we're three goals up against Wolves.

image.png.a0060f4768b1900e64cb299a95c3bf3c.png

Starting with last week's classic from Fat Sam.

https://talksport.com/football/577298/aston-villa-fulham-spending-summer/

Keep them coming...

I look forward to joining in the fun after match 37 this season.

Until then, I encourage anyone tempted to brag about how well we are doing before the season has even begun to have a glance at the dictionary - look for “hubris”.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I look forward to joining in the fun after match 37 this season.

Until then, I encourage anyone tempted to brag about how well we are doing before the season has even begun to have a glance at the dictionary - look for “hubris”.

Sounds good. Get him signed up!

• Haha 1