Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

There are bigger problems at Fulham than just buying too many players as evidenced by losing their first Championship game. 

Their squad is insanely good for the Championship, and with a good manager/coaching setup is likely pretty good for the Premier League, but there are some bigger issues behind the scenes I think.

It'll be very interesting to watch their results this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Daweii said:

There are bigger problems at Fulham than just buying too many players as evidenced by losing their first Championship game. 

Their squad is insanely good for the Championship, and with a good manager/coaching setup is likely pretty good for the Premier League, but there are some bigger issues behind the scenes I think.

It'll be very interesting to watch their results this season. 

There has been ever since the new owner took over.  He sacked 2 managers in his first year in charge. 

American owners....

• Like 1

Premier League: Which three clubs could go down?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49250674

Aston Villa: Are they 'doing a Fulham'?

Last season: Championship play-off winners

With their spending spree this summer, the club have been compared to previous play-off winners Fulham and as the table below shows, there are similarities to what the London club did last summer before being relegated back to the Championship.

Are Aston Villa 'doing a Fulham'?
  Fulham 2018-19 Aston Villa 2019-20
% minutes 'lost' by players leaving 36% 35%
Money spent £103m £120m+
Summer signings 12 12
On loan the previous season 1 3
% minutes played by new signings 53% ?

However, considering that three of Aston Villa's signings were at the club last season and five of Fulham's signings had yet to join this time last year, Villa's business does seem less chaotic, although the proof will ultimately come at the end of the season.

While Norwich and Sheffield United head into the season with their star scorers, the loss of 25-goal striker Tammy Abraham is a blow for Dean Smith's side and puts a lot of pressure on club record signing Wesley, who scored 13 league goals for Club Bruges last season.

One player who will be key to Villa's survival hopes is 23-year-old captain and boyhood fan Jack Grealish. After missing three months through injury, his return to the side in March coincided with the start of the club's incredible 10-game winning run that took them to the play-offs and the Premier League.

They have made the Fulham comparison but accepted that our signings are 'less chaotic'

It's easy for commentators who are paid to have an opinion to make lazy comments. Villa may not of had automatic promotion last season, but they were the in form team at the end, and I'd have a nice wager we could have beaten the bottom 5-6 teams in the PL. Our midfield is basically the same and been upgraded. We have a new striker, but a striker with CL experience. The defence has been upgraded and we've signed a PL experienced quality GK.

20 years ago Man City were in the old 3rd division, they are only where they are now because of ridiculous investment prior to FFP rules. Villa spends £130m and we're doing a Fulham, when closer inspection will show most clubs who spent money over the past decade stayed up, Fulham was the odd example. The real question should be why did Fulham fail? 

• Like 3

Most pundits don't have a clue what the situation at the club is or was. So they go for the easy short hand comparison and frame it as a question to have the get out of not actually saying anything.

The fact of the matter is, if spending a lot of money on a lot of players as a promoted side that then struggles is doing a Fulham , we didn't have any choice. We needed players. A lot of them. We are arguably still short as we speak. We had to buy. And the struggle part is in our hands, and we tried to put in the work early to minimise the Fulham effect of buying a ton of players at the death and expecting then to hit it off instantly. We were doing business from the get go. Even so we will probably have a bumpy run and not every buy is going to work out.

Will we do a Fulham? Who knows. Hopefully not of course. But the commentariat's fascination with it is more about them being lazy and not caring to look into the situation with us, than any insight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyg38 said:

Premier League: Which three clubs could go down?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49250674

They have made the Fulham comparison but accepted that our signings are 'less chaotic'

Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with making the comparison like this.

They've basically said there are obvious similarities, but here's why things are different.

Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 3

I jumped back in to my rideshare arrangement to get to work this morning after a month off (first child, yay). One of the guys I share with is a big Arsenal fan, but to be honest has what I would describe as having a fairly casual understanding of the wider world of football. I have some good conversations with him about football but he's the kind of guy who wanted Viera or Henry to take over from Wenger to bring back the glory days of the invincibles.

Anyway, first day back today and we're having a big football catch up, we talk about Arsenal and then slide on to Villa. The first thing he says is 'well you could end up like Fulham', and then follows it up with. 'But don't you think you'd have been better off signing 3 or 4 quality premier league players? The ones you have signed all look like gambles to me'. I calmly broke down our squad at the end of last season, the loans and players we released and what we were left with and why. Noting the players we released, their ages and relative quality. He's a friend so I didn't lose my shit. 

I nearly lost my shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good summary on sky sports news tonight, acceptance that trying to bed in this many new players is of course risky but weve brought players known by the manager, weve had a strategy established early on, we always needed to do something. It's very different to Fulham and is far from ideal by it's probably a better squad than we had.

Ryan Sessegnon going to Spurs with Onomah going in the opposite direction as part of the deal (undisclosed fee, probably 5m + JO)

They fell for the trick we didnt fall for 12 months ago. Dont need any more evidence than that why we aren't doing a Fulham! 

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Ryan Sessegnon going to Spurs with Onomah going in the opposite direction as part of the deal (undisclosed fee, probably 5m + JO)

They fell for the trick we didnt fall for 12 months ago. Dont need any more evidence than that why we aren't doing a Fulham! 

Hearing 25m+ JO

Fools

Looks like someone at the mail has read this thread.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7257379/Aston-Villa-spent-whopping-130m-theyre-no-Fulham.html

Aston Villa have spent whopping £130m, but they're no Fulham... they have spent wisely for Premier League return rather than blowing huge sums on players who don't make any sense

Aston Villa had two clear plans laid out before the Championship play-off final  
    One for promotion to the top flight and the other for staying in the second tier
    Like Fulham last year, they made it to the promised land in normal time
    The real work started long before and a smart process has been followed since
    Villa have spent where they have needed to and are ready for their big return 

6 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Looks like someone at the mail has read this thread.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7257379/Aston-Villa-spent-whopping-130m-theyre-no-Fulham.html

Aston Villa have spent whopping £130m, but they're no Fulham... they have spent wisely for Premier League return rather than blowing huge sums on players who don't make any sense

Aston Villa had two clear plans laid out before the Championship play-off final  
    One for promotion to the top flight and the other for staying in the second tier
    Like Fulham last year, they made it to the promised land in normal time
    The real work started long before and a smart process has been followed since
    Villa have spent where they have needed to and are ready for their big return 

Or listened to Dean Smith? That's almost word for word what he said in his press conference today (bar the Fulham comparisons).

It's funny though that Sky have ran an article saying that Dean Smith said "We're no Fulham"...when he said no such thing. He said all of the above and added that there might be comparisons to other teams but we can only focus on ourselves.

Sky went a head and put (Fulham) after "other teams" to justify their shitty headline when that wasn't even who he was talking about. The question they asked him was about other teams spending money in this window. The media really want to push this Fulham narrative and it's honestly so lame.

Sessegnon was a weird one, absolutely crushing the championship when Derby got promoted, so much so I was thinking he's bloody 17 he's got to pick up a knock soon, to being completely anonymous in the prem, what happened? 

God I hate the Sun. The UK would be much better off without its hateful garbage pumped out every day. I would never buy it or even click a link. Surprise surprise Karen Brady is name checked there... she’s scum too.

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Another day, another Fulham comparison.

• Like 1