Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

Doing a Fulham:

- Paying way over the odds to purchase a football club just because it’s in London 

- Sacking 2 managers in first year of ownership and the club getting relegated after 13 years in the Premier league. 

- After a couple of poor years in the Championship getting a decent manager and sticking with him to eventual promotion. 

- spending 100m in first summer to try and stay up. 

- Sacking 2 managers and the club getting relegated. 

• Like 4

Can't wait to pull this chant out when we're demolishing some poor bottom half club this season:

Doing a Fulham,

We're doing a Fullllham,

We're Aston Villa, and we're doing a Fulham!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lets walk the walk, before we dismiss the notion we might be doing a Fulham. So far we've spent a lot of money and we just don't know how it pans out. 

I agree it's a lazy comparison, but if you consider the fact that we need to build new relations in a team with probably 11-13 new signings come 8th of August, and some of them will have had less than 2 weeks at the club, then I can get nervous about us doing a Fulham as well. It's a HUGE job in front of Deano, the staff and the players... make no mistake about it. 

I take back what I said yesterday Kenji, Great post.  :thumb:

While remaining positive we should be under no illusion it could turn out to be a sticky start. As long as we stay United and behind the team, we will survive.

Once one or two of them experience the Holte Roar then it should kick us into life.

Response to Doing a Fulham guy on FB football group:

Want to bet xxxxxxx? I'll give you $100 if Villa relegated. You give me $20 for every place they finish above 18th

A Newcastle fan in response:

I'll make a bet that Villa are back in the championship within 3 seasons. 

I think this year they survive but low enough that they tighten up the strings a bit and then have an average season followed by a relegation.

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Response to Doing a Fulham guy on FB football group:

Want to bet xxxxxxx? I'll give you $100 if Villa relegated. You give me $20 for every place they finish above 18th

A Newcastle fan in response:

I'll make a bet that Villa are back in the championship within 3 seasons. 

I think this year they survive but low enough that they tighten up the strings a bit and then have an average season followed by a relegation.

He's using Mike Ashley logic there. Poor chap's been brainwashed.

• Haha 4

People thinking we are going to be like Fulham are going to be mistaken in my opinion. For one main reason (I hope)

Spending over 100 million doesn't mean there's any parallels between our coming season and theirs just gone.

If we sack Smith after 3 months I'll be fuming. We must back the man who has enabled the football standards to rise where they have.

Fulham should've placed more faith in Jokanovic. And I'm hoping that their decision making and ethos will be totally different to ours.

Jokanovic took them from 20th in the Championship to top six in his first full season, then got them promoted in his next season in charge.

That 6 straight losing streak that ultimately got Jokanovic the sack was unfortunate. Really it was.

I wonder if the Fulham board cared for how impressive Fulham were despite not getting results.

They started under Jokanovic averaging over 60% possession and more shots on target than their opponents.

Even the 1-5 defeat to Arsenal they had 21 shots to Arsenal's 9. But I digress..

For a newly promoted team to average over 60% possession in their first three months in a division is impressive.

As we saw with the beginning of Smith's tenure, we struggled for results because we were adapting to playing a new game, but the methodology and mindset was right.

In the end the results came for us, and I feel like the hierarchy at Fulham made an error in judgement in dismissing Jokanovic, because results would've come for Fulham.

As soon as Ranieri came in to coach them out of relegation, their possession percentages plummeted to conceding over 60% possession.

And yet they still got slaughtered on the scoreboard and that was true for the most part of Ranieri's reign. 17% win rate..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fulham's issue seemed to be that they lacked width, putting in few crosses, and generally played it central and direct by attacking down the middle.

They were one of the best short passing teams in the division, in terms of total number of passes played as well as in accuracy. Top 7 in both.

However this was mostly done in their third and in midfield, and their ability to play a final pass or through ball was lacking, which is essential if you don't play it wide.

They were mid-table for shot numbers in the division but only 6% came from inside the 6 yard box, and just under 50% coming from outside the box..

Their tendency to play it down the middle and play a short passing game in their own third made it tough, because every turnover becomes an immediate scoring opportunity.

I think we have a bit more tactical nous than that, but I guess we'll see.

Saying we are doing a Fulham, regardless of how the season goes is a nonsense. Our large intake of players is forced by the fact our squad was made up of loan players and players past their prime no longer good enough for the PL. To counter this problem we have had to invest significantly, but have done it as early as possible and to a clear and consistent plan. Hopefully the plan works out, but it isn’t the same plan as Fulham had.

It could be argued that the squad that we got promoted with, is possibly one of the weakest to be promoted to the PL and due largely to a pretty miraculous run put together by players and the coaches. As Purslow has said, we are a year early in our development, but that’s where we are at, have had to deal with it and we have. We could have hardly said, we’ll that was a great end to the season and a marvellous day out at Wembley, but we’re not quite ready yet, we’ll stay behind for a year if that’s ok with you lot?

You deal with situations you find yourselves in, good or bad. Perhaps we are victims of our own success, but that’s a good situation to deal with and I think the whole club have dealt with it admirably so far. We’re Aston Villa and we’re doing our own thing. History shows that sometimes that’s disastrous and sometimes glorious, but always unique. 

There’s only one Aston Villa. 

• Like 3

This Fulham thing is nothing but entertainment, but anyway: I don't think our purchases of loan players (Mings, El-Ghazi, Hause) should be calculated as spending, since they needed to be replaced anyway. Taking them out of the equation would lower our spending significantly.

As others have said, it's a total nonsense comparison. Our squad was down to bare bones. We had to recruit a lot of players, but we did it early and two of the incomings were loan players last season who were crucial to us getting promoted anyway. The most important part of last season's spine - Mings, McGinn and Grealish - will all be starters this season.

2 hours ago, withes_shin said:

Aston Villa: Jack Grealish and Dean Smith on preparation for Premier League return

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49158163

In June 2018, Aston Villa had lost a play-off final and were threatened with a winding-up petition by HM Revenue & Customs over an unpaid £4m tax bill

Read it and was going to post it myself but you beat me to it - the comments section below is interesting if you can bear it, most people now seem to want us to go down, probably because they're jealous.

I like to think that in the future, teams will be accused of 'doing a Villa' -  but in a good way obvs.

As it stands, we are in actual fact "doing a Fulham"

To the outside world, we just outlayed £130m to get 12 players that are largely (bar Heaton) "unproven", "unknown" or "unexperienced". We're going to face criticism for this. 

Non Villa fans, reporters or pundits don't give a monkeys to the reason's why we are buying all these players, they can say we are "doing a Fulham" because as it stands Villa haven't proven that we have not "done a Fulham". It's what Villa will do in the season that will prove that we are "doing a Fulham" or not. Villa will have to earn the respect, and I'm sure Villa will.  

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2