Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

1 minute ago, Genie said:

We had the benefit of seeing Fulham’s experiment play out, and still copied it.

To be fair we had no choice - we crash landed in the prem - and had no option to build on the fly. We needed some steady eddie older experienced players - instead we got unknowns from all quarters of the globe - always high risk. A concern to me is how many will any good in the championship.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We didn't do a fulham because we had a plan and didn't just sign a load of random players to try and fit in 

We did do a fulham in that we signed a lot of players not good enough. 

Aren’t those 2 statements contradictory?

I’m sure Fulham didn’t plan to buy players that wouldn’t work. They went high risk, so did we. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

We didn't do a fulham because we had a plan and didn't just sign a load of random players to try and fit in 

We did do a fulham in that we signed a lot of players not good enough. 

Weirdest thing of 2019 is people insisting that we are doing a Fulham. 

Thread was quiet when it was obvious we weren't, but now that we've hit a rough patch we're doing a Fulham again. Beyond bizarre.

• Like 3

Just now, Genie said:

Aren’t those 2 statements contradictory?

I’m sure Fulham didn’t plan to buy players that wouldn’t work. They went high risk, so did we. 

They didn't plan to buy players that wouldn't work. But it felt like they were just buying players for the sake of it. 

We were trying to sign players to fit a formation and style that we wanted. It just hasn't worked because most of them have been abysmal. 

Just now, Keyblade said:

Thread was quiet when it was obvious we weren't, but now that we've hit a rough patch we're doing a Fulham again. Beyond bizarre.

If doing a Fulham is spending loads of money on players who aren't good enough and then getting relegated well, we're on course for that. 

Obviously we had no choice but to spend but we've spent most of that money on duds, so certainly resembles Fulham.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

They didn't plan to buy players that wouldn't work. But it felt like they were just buying players for the sake of it. 

We were trying to sign players to fit a formation and style that we wanted. It just hasn't worked because most of them have been abysmal. 

I don’t think they were quite that rash. Saying that, we spent £140m and have naff all up front as we went big on 1 unproven, young, foreign striker. It was madness of equal proportions.

It's more than a rough patch we've won two games in eleven and one of those we were outplayed and extremely lucky. If we ignore what's going on we're just going to sleepwalk into a relegation which should be the last thing we want spening three years in the championship and getting relegated back there after our first season in the premier league should be unacceptable to a club like Aston Villa we should have better standards and expectations.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

we're still not doing a fulham but drama will be drama. we are doing a villa and if that ends up with us getting relegated then we'll have still done a villa.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

We had the benefit of seeing Fulham’s experiment play out, and still copied it.

We have to learn from this.

Sadly i think our owners will lose interest after this. Most ambitious owners since first years under Lerner and we managed to blow it. Depressing.

Just now, Genie said:

I don’t think they were quite that rash. Saying that, we spent £140m and have naff all up front as we went big on 1 unproven, young, foreign striker. It was madness of equal proportions.

The all the eggs in the Wesley basket is probably worse than any decision fulham made. Have to admit that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Fulham signed players they didn't need. We needed players. 

Be on about 4 points with last season squad

We’ll never know that, personally I don’t think we’d be that bad as we’d be starting from a position of a gelled side. 
Whwre we really messed up was not buying the right experience. We should have spent money on players who knew the division.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If doing a Fulham is spending loads of money on players who aren't good enough and then getting relegated well, we're on course for that. 

Obviously we had no choice but to spend but we've spent most of that money on duds, so certainly resembles Fulham.

That wouldn't be doing a Fulham, that would be doing a whole bunch of other teams from years gone by. 

Fulham was unique in that they didn't need to do that and signed multiple players in positions they were already well stocked in.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

To be fair we had no choice - we crash landed in the prem - and had no option to build on the fly. We needed some steady eddie older experienced players - instead we got unknowns from all quarters of the globe - always high risk. A concern to me is how many will any good in the championship.

We could have kept our squad except the loanies (Abraham, Tuanzebe) And instead of buying a new team we could have bought 3-4 quality players instead of a bunch of unknowns.

Still feel the likes of Whelan, Adomah and Elphick isn't any worse than some of what we brought in. At least they are used to the English game and performed fine last season.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

Still feel the likes of Whelan, Adomah and Elphick isn't any worse than some of what we brought in. At least they are used to the English game and performed fine last season.

I agree with this.

Not fantastic players by any stretch, but I don’t think much worse than what we’ve blown our wad on. Could have added a few experienced PL players to the starting 11.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We could have kept our squad except the loanies (Abraham, Tuanzebe) And instead of buying a new team we could have bought 3-4 quality players instead of a bunch of unknowns.

Whelan, Adomah and Elphick would be much worse than what we have. We would be even worse had we relied on those players. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’ll never know that, personally I don’t think we’d be that bad as we’d be starting from a position of a gelled side. 
Whwre we really messed up was not buying the right experience. We should have spent money on players who knew the division.

None are thriving at the moment, Elphick and Adomah struggling in Championship, Whelan at Hearts. Bunn, Jedinak and Hutton unemployed practically retired 

Tammy and Axel were never coming back

We also would have needed about 300million to buy players that know the division

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Whelan, Adomah and Elphick would be much worse than what we have. We would be even worse had we relied on those players. 

Im not so sure  - Whelan and Adomah are better than our current DM  and wide Midfielders, at least they had heart battled back. Elphick  i don't agree we do  have better options.