Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

So would Mings...

I can't remember the exact game but Jedinak really struggled in it, may have been the 3-3 v Sheffield United. Not just his passing which was never great but he could barely get around the pitch and was just getting bypassed all the time.

It was right to let him and Whelan go. Not getting a leader type in midfield to replace both was however a big error.

I would say Jedi is better in the air than Mings.

Jedi probably the best player i've seen at the club in my lifetime as far as aerial duels go. Carew is up there as well.

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Whelan is about to be bombed out of hearts. If you think he could do a job in the prem then this debate is pointless. 

my point  as quoted was  NOT BEEN REPLACED!

but given what I've witnessed this year  - even if injured could put in a performance better than both our current DM . Debate is the purpose of the site but lets NOT

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That wouldn't be doing a Fulham, that would be doing a whole bunch of other teams from years gone by. 

Fulham was unique in that they didn't need to do that and signed multiple players in positions they were already well stocked in.

Not sure that was the definition when the thread was made. Generally people consider 'doing a Fulham' as getting promoted, blowing a lot of money on utter shite and then going straight back down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

So would Mings...

I can't remember the exact game but Jedinak really struggled in it, may have been the 3-3 v Sheffield United. Not just his passing which was never great but he could barely get around the pitch and was just getting bypassed all the time.

It was right to let him and Whelan go. Not getting a leader type in midfield to replace both was however a big error.

It was that game. He was appalling.

We are 4 points better off than Fulham after 20 games, They lost 12 of the first 20 games, Same as us. they were 5 points off 14th place, We are 5 points off 14th place.

Teams are generally picking up more points this year though which seems to suggest that the target to stay up may be higher than usual.

After 20 games last year there were 7 teams with less than 20 points. This year there are only 4 and one of those (West Ham) actually has a game in hand.

The bottom 3 last year had a combined 39 points, the bottom 6 a combined 90. This year the bottom 3 already have 47 and the bottom 6  have 108. 

This time last season our eighteen points and goal difference would have been enough to see us in fifteenth place above Newcastle, Cardiff, Southampton Burnley, Fulham and Huddersfield in that order. The reason the same points total sees us in the relegation zone this year is because teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, and Tottenham have been losing more games than usual to clubs near the bottom of the table, meaning our rivals have been gaining points where in normal seasons they'd get beat by those teams, but where we have ourselves to blame is that whilst other teams have been taking advantage of the poor form of the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham we haven't.

• Like 1

Yep this is an acceptable points total at this stage of the season for a playoff winner. the problem is more established PL teams are getting more points than normal as well

This is because 3 of the Top 6 made rotten starts and Chelsea have lost form recently so the points are spread out

• Like 1

Pretty sure in fixtures against the current top 9 we've only picked up 1 point (the draw at OT) which is pretty dire. In fairness we should have had a point against Palace.

On a positive note, at least we have mainly home games to come against the bigger sides - Spurs, City, Arsenal, United, Wolves, Chelsea. We even have both Sheff U and Palace to come at home. But on current form we're not getting anything against these whether it's home or away.

18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Pretty sure in fixtures against the current top 9 we've only picked up 1 point (the draw at OT) which is pretty dire. In fairness we should have had a point against Palace.

On a positive note, at least we have mainly home games to come against the bigger sides - Spurs, City, Arsenal, United, Wolves, Chelsea. We even have both Sheff U and Palace to come at home. But on current form we're not getting anything against these whether it's home or away.

Regardless of home or away these side will absolutely crunch us

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Regardless of home or away these side will absolutely crunch us

I remember a similar December on Lambert first season. From winning at Anfield, to losing at Chelsea 8-0, then 4-0 from Spurs and 3-0 from Wigan. Not to mention Bradford. I don't know how we drew with Swansea during that run, but every point is countable. We've still lost to Newcastle at VP, but with a much improved performance. We've only got Sylla and Dawkins. But in the end, we've changed our season around.

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-124

Aston Villa: Don’t mention Fulham
I gave Aston Villa the benefit of the doubt on the ‘doing a Fulham’ accusation because so much of their spending was enforced. At the end of last season they lost Kortney Hause, Tyrone Mings, Tammy Abraham, Anwar El Ghazi and Axel Tuanzebe after their loan deals ended, and they released or sold Glenn Whelan, Mile Jedinak, Albert Adomah, Tommy Elphick and Alan Hutton. Signing a raft of new players was inevitable.

Nor does the comparison really stand up to scrutiny. Fulham’s biggest problem was a total lack of cohesion between a group of players who barely knew each other, meaning they started the league season on the back foot. Fulham took four points from their first 12 matches. Villa actually started this season pretty well, taking 11 points from their first nine matches. Their worst run of the campaign – five defeats in six – has come in December.

That suggests a lack of cohesion isn’t the answer, but a lack of quality is. With John McGinn overworked and then injured and Tyrone Mings sidelined with a hamstring injury, Villa have lost two of their best players. This squad does not contain the depth to cope with two key absentees. Even within the first-choice XI there are two or three players who have not yet proved that they are up to Premier League life.

Without Mings or McGinn, Villa have become a team of one. If Jack Grealish doesn’t produce at least two pieces of wondrous skill to create or score a goal, Villa lose. Whereas once Smith’s side started quickly and then tailed off, now they are struggling to start at all. Their away record is pitiful: four points from 30 available.

It’s hard to be positive about the immediate future. With Mings not yet back and McGinn likely out for two months, the responsibility on Grealish to create and an inexperienced central defensive pair of Ezri Konsa and Kortney Hause to protect only grows. The New Year’s Day trip to Burnley provides the chance to address away concerns, but it also risks further setback.

On 29/12/2019 at 01:11, useless said:

This time last season our eighteen points and goal difference would have been enough to see us in fifteenth place above Newcastle, Cardiff, Southampton Burnley, Fulham and Huddersfield in that order. The reason the same points total sees us in the relegation zone this year is because teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, and Tottenham have been losing more games than usual to clubs near the bottom of the table, meaning our rivals have been gaining points where in normal seasons they'd get beat by those teams, but where we have ourselves to blame is that whilst other teams have been taking advantage of the poor form of the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham we haven't.

Yeah hence my other comments that this looks like one of the rare seasons where a team will actually need over 40 points to survive.

Not good for us.....