Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

1 minute ago, supermon said:

Who has been the worst signing...Nakamba for me. The ultimate "don't give the ball to me" kinda player I've ever seen.

Nakamba was playing Left mid today. I have no idea why. 

When played at DM, he has been decent, but yes he is very nervy on the ball and prefers just the simple pass.

Lesson learned at least.

Still think Elmo should have been our starting RB all season instead of letting a young and inexperienced Guilbert learning his trade.

Edited by villalad21

I got slated for about 3 days solid on here for suggesting this was a real possibility. I was slated for suggesting we took too many risks with our transfer business. Several pundits were also called lots of names for suggesting Villas summer transfer business was not what it seemed.

You have to look beyond the transfer fees.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Engels, Wesley, Samatta, Nakamba, Targett, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Konsa.

90m. 

Unforgivable for the club to blow that kind of money on those players. There’s always a dud or 2... but 8 is unacceptable. If I was the owner I’d be asking serious questions about the scouting.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I got slated for about 3 days solid on here for suggesting this was a real possibility. I was slated for suggesting we took too many risks with our transfer business. Several pundits were also called lots of names for suggesting Villas summer transfer business was not what it seemed.

You have to look beyond the transfer fees.

We have to learn from this.

I wouldn't have gotten rid of the likes of Whelan and Jedinak in hindsight. Even Adomah. 

Don't care what people say. Keeping them and adding quality instead of quantity would put us in better stand. 

Edited by villalad21

On 31/07/2019 at 17:18, useless said:

Casual observers will probably see our transfers and see that we've signed a defender who can't get in the Bournemouth team, another who can't get in the Wolves' team or squad, and then another defender from Brentford that is still seen as a rookie, a right-back who they probably haven't heard of and who's last team was relegated, a left-back that quite a few Southampton fans don't rate, a midfielder with no experience of the Premier league, and wasn't always a regular starter for Girona, a winger that Lille didn't want, another that has come from a mid-table turkish league club, a striker who only scored ten goals in the Belgium league, a player signed from Small Heath. Of course it's not as simple as all that, but it's the kind of thing that anyone not following the situation closely will think, alongside things like 'Championship players', 'too many signings', 'no Premier league experience', and so on.

This is looking like an extraordinarily perceptive account.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

We have to learn from this.

I wouldn't have gotten rid of the likes of Whelan and Jedinak. Even Adomah. 

Don't care what people say. Keeping them and adding quality instead of quantity would put us in better stand. 

This is EXACTLY what I was hounded for in the summer. Those players that got us up all of a sudden lost the ability to run and kick a ball apparently... I was trying to make the point that they had more value to Villa as it maintained some continuity from last year even if they were not the best technically. We replaced them with players that were similar technically or worse, and without the benefit of knowing the league or the club.

We could have kept another 2 or 3 from last year and instead of 3 £10m+ big risks we could have gotten 1 or 2 proven premier league players to complement the squad.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is EXACTLY what I was hounded for in the summer. Those players that got us up all of a sudden lost the ability to run and kick a ball apparently... I was trying to make the point that they had more value to Villa as it maintained some continuity from last year even if they were not the best technically. We replaced them with players that were similar technically or worse, and without the benefit of knowing the league or the club.

We could have kept another 2 or 3 from last year and instead of 3 £10m+ big risks we could have gotten 1 or 2 proven premier league players to complement the squad.

I will hold my hand up and admit i was wrong.

F***ing hell. How much we've struggled with defensive set pieces Jedinak would have been great. Never seen a more dominant midfielder in the air in my time supporting this club.

Edited by villalad21

Yes essentially we repeated the same  mistakes we made the last time we were relegated only difference being this time we'ved had Grealish and better defenders so it hasn't been quite as bad, but bad enough that it's almost certain to cost us our premier league status.

Despite us being really bad, I think we’ve made a better go of it than a Fulham did. They were pretty much already down at this stage last season. They had the advantage of having a goal scorer too in Mitrovic. Oh, and we got to a cup final! 

• Like 1

There were 2 big elements to the summer..

1) Wow, Villa have spent a lot of money on a lot of players. 
2) They had to do it because they released half of the side that got promoted.

For me, 2) was the mistake, we put too much pressure on ourselves on buy right because we had nothing left. It also left us vulnerable to overpaying which we certainly did on some players. 

Some of those players would have been as good or better than what we bought. This leaves more money on the kitty, less holes to fill so we could buy better.

Maupay, Albrighton, Dunk 3 examples of players worth paying good money for.

Wesley, Konsa, Nakamba, Trez, AEG about £75m of unnecessarily risky signings (plus same again in salaries).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Engels, Wesley, Samatta, Nakamba, Targett, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Konsa.

90m. 

to be honest, i think all but 2 of them are at least average signings.

I honestly think we are/were 2 good wingers away from having an extra 5-10 points at this point, which would have put us 14th/15th/16th, its fine margins, and imo having terrible wingers has stunted us badly.

the only other area i think we are short in terms of not getting relegated, was a proper DM.