Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We had no choice but to spend big and bring in several players. The issue was that we didn't spend enough, clearly we're deficient out wide and up front, we needed to do more to sign at least another winger and a striker.

Another winger and striker was not the issue yesterday.

Arsenal were there for the taking. All we had to do was to manage the game properly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Another winger and striker was not the issue yesterday.

Arsenal were there for the taking. All we had to do was to manage the game properly.

Each game is not a blank slate, it's been a continue issues throughout the season so far. Lack of quality out wide (and yes that was an issue yesterday, Trezeguet had no end product, El Ghazi not enough of an end product) is hurting us all the time and it would be great to have another forward so we don't have to rely on Wesley so much, who doesn't really appear to be an out and out goal scorer anyway.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Each game is not a blank slate, it's been a continue issues throughout the season so far. Lack of quality out wide (and yes that was an issue yesterday, Trezeguet had no end product, El Ghazi not enough of an end product) is hurting us all the time and it would be great to have another forward so we don't have to rely on Wesley so much, who doesn't really appear to be an out and out goal scorer anyway.

I agree in general. 

But talking about last game. Any manager that knows how to manage a game would do something with our struggling midfield during that 2nd half, Smith did nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

I agree in general. 

But talking about last game. Any manager that knows how to manage a game would do something with our struggling midfield during that 2nd half, Smith did nothing.

This thread isn't about Arsenal though. It's whether we're doing a Fulham.

I think the biggest issue is that whilst yes, we needed to, yes we spent a lot (but not on any one particular individual) - Is that eventually the momentum we had/have begins to wither. 

Heads drop, games aren't anticipated, but dreaded, we begin to look at individual upcoming games and saying "there's a point to be had there" etc.  

That's when things become ugly. 

Yes, it's good to be back in the league, but we've got to cut out the mistakes, which are OK at first, but when they become too costly, the goodwill goes. 

I think part of Fulham's downfall last season was that they chopped and changed very regularly.  The team was never the same and the system was never the same after 10 games.  Whether we stay up or go down, we have to stick to what we're trying to do.  The teams that do well in this league are well drilled and each player knows what the others are doing.  There's no point going 4-4-2, 5-3-2 game after game, it doesn't work.  

As much as yesterday really pissed us off, we played well for 70 minutes and looked the better side, even when they had 11. 

Fitness and making subs would be my top priority on investigating, we don't seem to last the pace and we look out on our feet at 70 mins, and that's when mistakes will happen, as we've seen this season. 

Lastly, we must punish teams when they give us the opportunity. 

We had 2, 5 on 3 situations yesterday, one came to nothing because of a poor pass and the other resulted in a very poor effort by Trezeguet.  I guarantee if we had those situations against us, we'd be 2 goals down. 

Stop panicking! :) 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

fulhams problem wasn't the first 6 games it was the next 6 where they picked up 0 points hit the panic button and sacked the manager

I don't see us doing that despite what some fans are doing

out of the 6 fixtures we've played Fulham had 3 points (beat everton at home) them 10 points adrift can also be attributed to a 9 game losing streak later in the season

we need more luck and better game management, theres nothing to suggest we are going on a pointless run anywhere near that bad

• Like 2

I hate this thread. Even if we go down we will never do a Fulham because we’re Villa. We had no choice but to spend. We have also been competitive in every game, we have also had some pretty torrid luck/bad decision go against us. I’m with the team if we are ‘doing a Villa’ or not.

Fulham sacked Jokanovic after 12 games:

LLWDLDLLLLLL

We are as follows:

LLWLDL Burnley (H), Norwich (A), Brighton (H), Man City (A), Liverpool (H), Wolves (A).

We will have more than 5 points after 12 games.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I hate this thread. Even if we go down we will never do a Fulham because we’re Villa. We had no choice but to spend. We have also been competitive in every game, we have also had some pretty torrid luck/bad decision go against us. I’m with the team if we are ‘doing a Villa’ or not.

The thread is about taking the piss out of people saying we'll do a Fulham.

Sadly it's been taken a bit too literally.

Fact is that Fulham's form in their first 6 games was the kind of form that would be typical of any bottom half team, and us having similar results is really not a big deal.

If we replicate their form over their next 6 games (LLLLLL) then that's time to panic. Even then, I wouldn't see the point in sacking Dean Smith.

• Like 1

We won't do a Fulham because there's no such thing as 'doing a Fulham', whatever it was that they did last season countless other teams have already done previously, including ourselves in 2016. If anything this thread should probably just be called the 'relegation' thread.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hornso said:

Fulham sacked Jokanovic after 12 games:

LLWDLDLLLLLL

We are as follows:

LLWLDL Burnley (H), Norwich (A), Brighton (H), Man City (A), Liverpool (H), Wolves (A).

We will have more than 5 points after 12 games.

If we take 6 points minimum from the next 6 games leaving us on 10 points I'll be happy

Here's last years table after 12 games........we aint doing a Fulham!

image.png.5926b1d548b6b20518604c6f6a3e47e6.png

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 1

On 18/09/2019 at 00:09, VillaChris said:

We were o.k up to the second half of the infamous Leicester game which I think was fifth game of that season. Not great as you could see with Gestede leading the line goalscoring was going to be as hard as this year looks like it would be but not 17 point horrific bad either.

The wheels came off after that. We lost dismally 1-0 at home to West Brom after and I actually came on here afterwards and said we were getting relegated. We then lost at home to Stoke and Swansea in our next home games before Sherwood was fired.

That could be a little different. Last night would've been the sort of game in 15/16 we'd have lost 1-0 but we dug a point out and it all adds up after 38 games.

I was at the baggies game. It was the worst performance I've ever seen in the flesh, they looked like complete and total strangers. We didn't put 3 passes together, no pattern of play, no-one knew what they were doing and if they did they were too scared to try it. No energy, no pressing, no organisation, it was just brutal to watch. 

We look a million miles away from that Villa side to me, we might go down, but I doubt Smith will ever put a side out that plays like that baggies game.

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

If we take 6 points minimum from the next 6 games leaving us on 10 points I'll be happy

Here's last years table after 12 games........we aint doing a Fulham!

image.png.5926b1d548b6b20518604c6f6a3e47e6.png

What concerns me here is looking at all the points totals after 12 games last year.

Already this year likes of Sheffield United and Burnley are on 8 points, Southampton on 7 points (so just one point worse and still got six games to get them).

Southampton were out of bottom 3 on 8 points, this season Newcastle have 5 points just after 6 games so many teams are basically averaging a point a game.

Maybe it won't stay like that but obviously Chelsea and Man. United are miles weaker than last season so more teams will be taking points off them. Despite our horrible record we simply can't be writing off the two Man. United games.

It all suggests pretty high points total will be needed to stay up this season which could be bad news for us in the long run.

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What concerns me here is looking at all the points totals after 12 games last year.

Already this year likes of Sheffield United and Burnley are on 8 points, Southampton on 7 points (so just one point worse and still got six games to get them).

Southampton were out of bottom 3 on 8 points, this season Newcastle have 5 points just after 6 games so many teams are basically averaging a point a game.

Maybe it won't stay like that but obviously Chelsea and Man. United are miles weaker than last season so more teams will be taking points off them. Despite our horrible record we simply can't be writing off the two Man. United games.

It all suggests pretty high points total will be needed to stay up this season which could be bad news for us in the long run.

But it could also be the other way round. Usually there are two teams that go down early with one trying to stay. Last season teams were horrible, if Cardiff didn't beat Man Utd they could've gone down with 31.

I think us and Wolves are better than some of the teams that are above us (atleast in terms of performances), not sure about Watford although they have potential.

Teams will still lose points, Newcastle are yet to win a game against midtable or relegation teams. They're now into a bad set of games. Watford and Wolves are playing each other, I guess a draw would be perfect. 

Us and Burnley is really tricky, I think if we win that, then we might not get back to the relegation spots. We just need that lift and confidence to make us fly again.

I know it doesn't work this way but:

Sheffield are playing Plop

Southampton are playing Spuds (well)

Everton are playing Man City (I know they're a top 10 team but currently they're in the mix)

Chelsea are playing Brighton

Palace are playing Norwich 

Leicester are playing the barcodes 

So basically there is a good chance that all of them won't win 3 points. 

I think a win for us is critical, but even a draw won't be the end of the world (we would need atleast 5 from the next 3)

Then the week after there are a few 6 pointers including us and Norwich.

Our mini league start this week and lasts for 3 weeks.