Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Yep, finished 1-1 after a Poor mistake right at the death.  She’ll learn from it but as a team, we weren’t good enough throughout against a pretty poor West Ham side. 

West Ham with injury time equalizer, Sophia Poor could have done better, but the rest of the team should take a huge amount of responsibility, as could have kept it away from our goal but gave it away ridiculously cheaply by just kicking it straight out for a goalkick which lead to the attack for their goal, Poor had been excellent until that point

Three points from Everton, Leicester, Bristol City, and West Ham at home is a dreadful return, it's results like that that have killed our season, not the losing to top four clubs which seem to attract a lot more negativity.

Just need the season to end now and hope we've got a good plan for the summer and next season

Edited by useless

From what Ward has been saying I don't think she's expecting to get the sack, or that she's going to resign. 

I guess her getting the sack is more of a possibility in the summer than it has been at any point during the season, I wouldn't rule it out, but I think she will more likely stay than leave

She might just get away with the poor season we've had because of mitigating circumstances - injuries and so on, not helped by the club in January, and wlll still have some credit for the overall good job she's done since being appointed

I guess we will see, big summer coming up regardless of what happens with Ward

22 hours ago, Zero7 said:

Going to this with my entire under 13s girls team. Shame about the crap weather 

Were you in C6 rows 8 and 9......?

First ever watching a live womens game for me.

General observations, not as much cheating such as shirt pulling and rolling around as if being shot and more respect for the ref. Thought we might get more than 4000 yesterday, is this usual for a womens game at VP? Perhaps it reflects the poor performances this season.

Villa, seem low on confidence, loads of misplaced passes, poor first touch and decision making. Thought our keeper looked very solid to be fair on her debut, really disappointed for her with the soft goal at the end of the game. 

West Ham, their number 20 was a very dangerous player we had trouble keeping her quiet - very good player for them. Their number 9 also looked good.

Conclusion, would I go again YES! As long as it was at VP. It was a fun day out, far less stressful than watching the mens team! It was also good to see the match from a very close to the pitch side in C6 row 10 instead of K5 row 27 at the back of the Holte!

Ps my granddaughter loved it and although is a confirmed Ipswich supporter she might just now be a Villa womens supporter ....

VTID

• Like 3

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Were you in C6 rows 8 and 9......?

No we were b17, not far from the tunnel L. All our girls were flag bearers before free kick. Lined up at the Doug Ellis stand 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

First ever watching a live womens game for me.

General observations, not as much cheating such as shirt pulling and rolling around as if being shot and more respect for the ref. Thought we might get more than 4000 yesterday, is this usual for a womens game at VP? Perhaps it reflects the poor performances this season.

Villa, seem low on confidence, loads of misplaced passes, poor first touch and decision making. Thought our keeper looked very solid to be fair on her debut, really disappointed for her with the soft goal at the end of the game. 

West Ham, their number 20 was a very dangerous player we had trouble keeping her quiet - very good player for them. Their number 9 also looked good.

Conclusion, would I go again YES! As long as it was at VP. It was a fun day out, far less stressful than watching the mens team! It was also good to see the match from a very close to the pitch side in C6 row 10 instead of K5 row 27 at the back of the Holte!

Ps my granddaughter loved it and although is a confirmed Ipswich supporter she might just now be a Villa womens supporter ....

VTID

Attendance really depends on the opposition. Against Arsenal at VP a few weeks ago, I think the attendance was around 10-11,000, though they always bring massive support. At the Bescot we usually get 2-3,000 attending, though that can double depending on the opposition.
Although I only went to about half the games last season, it still feels like more people are attending this season despite the struggles.

Sophia Poor has been nominated for WSL Player of the Month, she won't win it, but to be considered is a great acknowledgement for how well she did all things considered.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I wonder if we’ll consider Scott Booth, who has already confirmed that he’s leaving Lewes this summer?  Highly regarded apparently:

Scott Booth joined Lewes back in May 2022, after previously managing Scotland youth sides and Glasgow City where he led them to six consecutive league titles. These achievements were recognised by the UEFA Women Awards, as he was recognised as one of the top ten coaches.

Edited by ferguson1

Posted (edited)

Sad day, although not overly surprising. An amicable departure has felt like the most likely scenario for a few months imo. Big job to do next season.

Hopefully it's genuinely for the reasons given and not a reaction to the budget given for the upcoming season. From her statements in prior weeks she did seem to imply that she wanted something bigger...

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

I imagine Melissa Phillips will be one of the favorites

I had thought Jo Potter might be another contender should Ward leave, has done very well in her first season as manager with Rangers, but recently signed a new contract with them

Remi Allen could be another contender, having done okay with London City Lionesses as interim manager, and is also now coaching with England U23s

Aston Villa manager Carla Ward is set to take a break from football, after deciding to leave the Women’s Super League club at the end of the season.

It is understood the departure is her own decision, and Ward, 40, is understood to now want to take a significant period of time away from work to recharge her batteries and spend time with her family.

The former Sheffield United and Birmingham City manager has been with Villa for three seasons and guided them to ninth place in 2021-22 and fifth place in 2022-23 - the club’s highest ever league position in the women’s game.

This term, Villa sit a respectable seventh, with two WSL games remaining. The first of those is Saturday’s trip to eighth-placed Brighton and Ward’s final match in charge will be at home to title-chasing Manchester City on Saturday 18th May.

“To step down from my post here at Aston Villa has been the hardest decision of my managerial career, but I know it is the right one for my family and I,” Ward said. “Managing a great club like Aston Villa has been a full-throttle job and I have always given the role 100 per cent dedication. However, I now believe it is the right time for me to prioritise the other important things - such as my daughter and the rest of my family life.

“I am immensely grateful to Monchi [Villa’s president of football operations] and Damian Vidagany [director of football] who tried so hard to encourage me to stay in the role, but I know it is the right time to step down after our last game of the season.”

Monchi said: “Carla came to us a few weeks ago and spoke of her plan to step down. We have had extensive dialogue with her to see if there was anything we could do to persuade her to stay, but she is adamant that she wants to take a break from the game. On behalf of everybody at Aston Villa, I want to place on record our grateful thanks to Carla [and] wish her well for the future.”

Telegraph Sport understands Villa do not immediately have a replacement lined up and an extensive recruitment process will now begin to find Ward’s successor. The role is likely to be attractive to high-level candidates from around the world, because of the English women’s top-flight league’s popularity and profile being continually on the rise.

It’s understood that the club’s head of women’s football Lee Billiard will draw up a shortlist of potential candidates for Monchi and the club’s director of football operations Damian Vidagany to decide upon.

Vidagany added in a club statement: “Carla is one of the best managers in women’s football and we are sad to see her go. I would like to wish her all the best for the future.”

Â