Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Just noticed that we had academy players Evie and Olivia Rabjohn on the bench, as well as Anna Draper, good experience for them, would be good if we could be in a position to give some of them some game time on the last day against small heath. Laura Blindkilde starting more games now as well and doing well, Freya Gregory also been doing well at Leicester by all accounts, the few times I've seen her for them I've wondered why we let her go, but the game time will do her good before coming back to us next season.

Was looking on the small heath forum, in the thread where they're discussing their stands, and the blogger Almajir posts on there as El Mayor, he's claiming that he knows for a fact that the VIlla Women's team have signed a ten year lease on the Alexander Stadium, not sure how he'd know that, but he's usually very reliable when it comes to small heath information.

Edited by useless

Lost 7-0 to Arsenal this afternoon and quite honestly it could have been 10 or more.

Was always going to be a difficult fixture and missing Allen and Scott didn’t help but I expected a little more from us.

We’ve got a lot to do in the summer again in order to be competitive next season. A striker or two is an absolute must for starters but we probably need 5 or 6 players again of better quality.

I had a feeling today was going to be a thrashing when I saw our line-up, was basically the back four, McLoughlin as the DM, then the rest of the team were all attackers. But then again Arsenal capable of thrashing us whatever team we put out, so not really reading too much into today's result, any kind of result would have been a bonus.

Truth be told probably a mistake not to play Hampton, Rogers kept a clean-sheet in her first league game in two seasons last week, so can understand the sentiment of not wanting to drop her, but realistically the main reason we're nowhere near relegation this season is how good Hampton has been.

The big game for us is next week at Villa Park against small heath, win that and it will mean we will have had a good end to this season regardless of today's result, as we will have won two and drawn one of the last four, and would also mean we will have finished on nine more points than we did last season.

Can't remember the exact quotes, but Carla Ward has said she's getting a lot of support from Purslow, and that we will be trying to sign some big players in the summer.

Just seen that Coventry United survived relegation from the Championship on the last day of the season thanks to this goal in the 97 minute against Watford, the goal mean that Coventry stayed up and Watford were relegated. Earlier in the season Coventry had been deducted ten points because they went into liquidation and I think at one stage were ten plus points adrift of safety.

Not totally off topic as two of our players Elisha Ndow and Natalie Haigh are with them on loan.

• Like 3

We play small heath on the final day at Villa Park this Sunday, they needed to beat Man City today to have any chance of going into the game against us with a chance of staying up, but they lost 6-0, so that's them relegated, unexpected thing is they didn't concede until the 58th minute, up until that moment I was wondering they could possibly snatch surprise win. I'm sure they will still be determined to beat us, but probably gives us a better chance of finishing the season with a win than if they were fighting for survival.

There's a good interview with Carla Ward on the podcast that Dan Bardell does with Gregg Evans, can't remember the exact quote but she says there's already some deals agreed with new players and she spoke about signing some centre-forwards, so sounds work on strengthening the squad for next season has already begun.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, useless said:

We play small heath on the final day at Villa Park this Sunday, they needed to beat Man City today to have any chance of going into the game against us with a chance of staying up, but they lost 6-0, so that's them relegated, unexpected thing is they didn't concede until the 58th minute, up until that moment I was wondering they could possibly snatch surprise win. I'm sure they will still be determined to beat us, but probably gives us a better chance of finishing the season with a win than if they were fighting for survival.

There's a good interview with Carla Ward on the podcast that Dan Bardell does with Gregg Evans, can't remember the exact quote but she says there's already some deals agreed with new players and she spoke about signing some centre-forwards, so sounds work on strengthening the squad for next season has already begun.

Hope Small Heath enjoy their big day out at Villa Park, it seems fitting that we should send them down with a jolly good thrashing.  

Not sure how true it is, but I heard today that there should be 7,000-8,000 at Villa Park on Sunday for the local derby.

A pity the heath are already down, takes a bit of the fun away, but it should be a good send off for our ladies.

Still a big game for us because if we can win then a nine point improvement on last season will look a lot better than a six point improvement, and a win will also mean we will have lost just one of the last five, also the fact that it's a derby, and it being Anita Asante's last game before retirement also makes the result important as they will be wanting her to end her playing career with a positive result, won the treble with Arsenal, seventy plus England caps, and played for Great Britain at the London Olympics as well, so she's been a big figure in the women's game.

• Like 1

Sounds like it will be a terrific day for young families with Peppa Pig and George, Hey Duggee, SpongeBob SquarePants and PAW Patrol’s Marshall in attendance at the Trinity Fan & Family Fun Zones. The Trinity Fan Zone also has free junior Aston Villa kit giveaways, keepy uppy competition & roaming entertainment from a magician (not the one previously charged with the task of keeping Small Heath in the WSL:crylaugh:)& a balloon modeller. The Family Zone has activities including Football Darts, Inflatable Axe Throwing, Rodeo Football, Inflatable Assault Course, Dance Machine, Footpool, Giant Connect 4 and the 10ft Buzzwire: (full details are available on the club website). 

Great pricing by the club too for this, with tickets from £1 for U18s with adults or the chance to try out some hospitality @ £35 (adults) & £14 (U18s). 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, John said:

Sounds like it will be a terrific day for young families with Peppa Pig and George, Hey Duggee, SpongeBob SquarePants and PAW Patrol’s Marshall in attendance at the Trinity Fan & Family Fun Zones. The Trinity Fan Zone also has free junior Aston Villa kit giveaways, keepy uppy competition & roaming entertainment from a magician (not the one previously charged with the task of keeping Small Heath in the WSL:crylaugh:)& a balloon modeller. The Family Zone has activities including Football Darts, Inflatable Axe Throwing, Rodeo Football, Inflatable Assault Course, Dance Machine, Footpool, Giant Connect 4 and the 10ft Buzzwire: (full details are available on the club website). 

Great pricing by the club too for this, with tickets from £1 for U18s with adults or the chance to try out some hospitality @ £35 (adults) & £14 (U18s). 

Sounds like a much better day out than the men's team

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â