Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Both small heat and Leicester have now shown that they're capable of winning games at this level, so it's a wake up call to us, as all it would take is another win here and there for them and we're suddenly not looking so safe.

Not sure when the transfer window closes but really surprised we haven't strenghten our attack, our attacks between them have scored just one goal, we've only scored six in total, three of those from Allen, a central midfielder. I hope it's something they're working on as it would be a big help to us.

Is there something wrong behind the scenes or is it just a case of poor form or the manager not having got her style of play across yet? Pretty awful performances over the past few weeks. How long is that without a win? (Or even a point!) 

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Is there something wrong behind the scenes or is it just a case of poor form or the manager not having got her style of play across yet? Pretty awful performances over the past few weeks. How long is that without a win? (Or even a point!) 

It's about the MASSIVE gulf between the top teams and the bottom teams. It's basically lose every game 3 to 5 nil then try to finish top of the 4 or 5 other teams. 

• Like 2

We've had a really difficult run of fixtures made more difficult yesterday by having nine players out,  but have a run of games coming against lower table to mid table teams, which should hopefully see us starting picking up some points. We will need to as well, as Leicester won again today, we're just four points ahead of them now, and we play them next week.

If we can strengthen the squad that will help us as well, Carla Ward says we're looking all over but it's hard to bring new players in because other teams are reluctant to let players go because of needing bigger squads because of covid, also says we won't be bringing in a striker from the championship, so hopefully that's an indication that we're going for proven quality, this time last year we loaned in Mana Iwabuchi when we were in a worse position.

We have a decent team. Remi Allen's work rate is something to see. She is a joy to watch. If you are on AVTV watching the games is well worth it. For me out biggest problem is we havent yet quite clicked with Gielnik. 

As mentioned above the league is VERY uneven. I was watching the 7-0 cup win we played and the commentator mentioned only the same two teams have ever won the cup. Its that lopsided.

Its pretty exciting watching a young league grow in front of us. Attendances and interest are also rising even with the pandemic, its still like 200 on a good day but thats progress. The Womens game is going to be massive. I am delighted the club recognizes that and is investing.

U21s beat Man City away from home tonight to go back to the top of table, apparently for the surprise loss to Leicester we had a lot out with covid, so that explains that.

Also small heath beat Ipswich in the semi-final of the FA WSL Academy League Cup earlier today, it relevant to us, because we play Man Utd in the other semi-final next week, so could potentially set up a local derby in the final.

• Like 1

Huge game for the ladies this afternoon against Leicester. We really don’t want to lose this one. 

Haven’t heard much from Carla Ward recently, so hopefully she’s busy working on some deals and getting the confidence up with the current group.

Best of luck today.

Well done Lehmann at the end there, great play by Blindkilde in the build up, she looks a really good promising young player. I only saw the second half which wasn't a great performance all round, but vital three points for us. Something to build on hopefully.

• Like 3

Nine points clear of the drop zone now. Whereas poor old Leicester are still only 2 points above it.

Villa were the better team in the 1st half and Leicester dominated the second so they were unlucky right at the end there. I watched some of it on faplayer.thefa.com for free. I think all the WSL games are on their live. 

Edited by robby b
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â