Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Lost 3-1, our goal was a penalty converted by Petzelberger. I didn't watch, but judging by some of the text updates I read, it sounds like we gave them a good game but were lacking in the final third, which of course has been our problem all season.

Not sure what's going on with the U21s of late, they lost 5-0 away to Man Utd again today, this time in the league, that's three defeats from the last four games, to put it into context before that poor run, they were top of the table having won eight and drawn one of their nine league games this season, and were and still are the only team to beat Everton. Carla Ward did mention a covid outbreak in the academy recently, so maybe that's still affecting them.

Hopefully back to winning ways soon and get some confidence back, I think the academy is going to be a big part of the future plans, Laura Blindkilde and Freya Gregory already looking very promising, not sure why they loaned Gregory out especially with not bringing in another attacker during the window, and easy to forget that Olivia McLoughlin given all the first teams she's played only recently turned seventeen...

Carla Ward also suggested after the Chelsea game that there's an academy striker they're going to use to try and help with the problems in the final third, so will be interesting to see how that goes.

• Like 1

Just noticed that small heath and Leicester are playing each other today, at one time it looked like the games between those two would decide which of them would be relegated at the end of the season, but both have shown recently that they're capable of getting wins in other games, still a big game though, will be looking ominous for small heath if they lose today.

Big game for us as well, we have to start showing we can beat teams other than the bottom two, last time we won a game in the league that wasn't against either small heath or Leicester, was when we beat Brighton back in September.

Have a run of games coming up now against midtable teams, if we can get a decent amount of points from those then we can move into midtable ourselves, if we can win today we will already have more points than we got in the whole of last season.

West Ham only four points ahead of us, but they've only lost one of their last five, whereas we've only won of our last five and lost the other four, also telling is their much better goal difference, our is minus eighteen, whilst theirs is plus two, they've scored double the amount of goals we have, and conceded sixteen less...

Was kind of hopeful until I saw those stats, but as above these are the kind of games we need to start winning, to be fair though we haven't actually had that many of these kind of games, in fact since that Brighton game, Reading has been the only one, other than that we've been playing either the bottom two, both of wich we won, and all the top teams.

Hayley Hoare has gone on loan to Wolves, she plays for our U21s and is a Welsh U19 international. Not sure what level they play at, but she goes straight into their first team squad for their game against Hull today, should good for her development and preperation for our first team...

Edited by useless

2 hours ago, useless said:

Just noticed that small heath and Leicester are playing each other today, at one time it looked like the games between those two would decide which of them would be relegated at the end of the season, but both have shown recently that they're capable of getting wins in other games, still a big game though, will be looking ominous for small heath if they lose today.

Freya Gregory on loan from us is starting for Leicester, was wondering if it would be better for us for Leicester to go down as they're probably more likely to kick on and become more of a thread next season, whereas as small heath being in the same league as us basically guarantees we won't get relegated, but really we need to be looking up, so hopefully she can help Leicester to a win today.

Edited by useless

2 hours ago, useless said:

Big game for us as well, we have to start showing we can beat teams other than the bottom two, last time we won a game in the league that wasn't against either small heath or Leicester, was when we beat Brighton back in September.

Have a run of games coming up now against midtable teams, if we can get a decent amount of points from those then we can move into midtable ourselves, if we can win today we will already have more points than we got in the whole of last season.

West Ham only four points ahead of us, but they've only lost one of their last five, whereas we've only won of our last five and lost the other four, also telling is their much better goal difference, our is minus eighteen, whilst theirs is plus two, they've scored double the amount of goals we have, and conceded sixteen less...

Was kind of hopeful until I saw those stats, but as above these are the kind of games we need to start winning, to be fair though we haven't actually had that many of these kind of games, in fact since that Brighton game, Reading has been the only one, other than that we've been playing either the bottom two, both of wich we won, and all the top teams.

I think those games still decide who stays up and who goes down. I think Birmingham got a fantastic fluke result, but I'd compare it to Watford beating Liverpool the season Liverpool were unstoppable and Watford got relegated. It looks like something that'll kick start the season but at the end of the day, you take away these 2 games where Leicester and Birmingham played each other and you end up with Leicester on 3 points, Birmingham on 4, both teams with 1 fluke win each to their name. 

I watched a few of their games before the Arsenal match and they did look to be improving, but looking at the table if the scoreline stays as it is today that's probably them pretty much relegated, they will be five points behind even Leicester, would also as good as confirm our survival, as we will be nine points clear of the bottom with two games in hand, not that we had much in the way of relegation worries anyway.

• Sad 1

Anna Patten looks a fantastic player, she Mayling and Pacheco three of the back four probably our most confortable players on the ball besides Scott. Turning into a good football team with more composed passing, just the final third where we're still struggling, Lehmann doing her best to fair, somtimes gives it away but looks the most likely to make something happen.

As soon as West Ham scored their second it was obvious we weren't going to win, as we're not going to score three goals in one game, and highly doubtful that we would score again to get a draw, watching us play we never look like scoring, always relying on a scrappy goal, an own, a penalty, bascially hoping for some luck to go our way.

League table is starting to tell a story now, we've improved massively on last year, but we're still some way from being a midtable team, no other team has scored fewer than us and only small heath have conceded more, small heath also the only team to have a worse goal difference than us.

Other than Brighton, Leicester and small heath are the only teams we've managed to beat this season, in fact since the first three games from which we took more than half our current points total, I bet our form hasn't been much different than from what it last season, our start to the season gave us confidence and it was starting to feel like we could beat anyone other than the top four, but that feeling is disappearing now, next three games we play Everton twice and Brighton but can't say I have much confidence of picking up wins from those games.

Carla Ward said in her recent interview that we're going to try and make some big signings in the summer, and we're going to need to if we're to move to the next level. The danger is that Liverpool are coming up and they will spend to become a force, and Leicester will improve as well, with it being probable that there will be no small heath in the league next season there will be no team that you'd say we're almost certaint to finish above, so we will probably have to improve on our current levels just to avoid a relegation battle next season.

48 minutes ago, useless said:

in fact since the first three games from which we took more than half our current points total, I bet our form hasn't been much different than from what it last season over the same period...

I've just looked it up and after our first three games last we took took ten points from our next ten games, whereas this season after our three first three games we've taken just six points from the following ten games. Good job we had that good start to the season really, and that small heat and Leicester aren't very good.

Edit: It's just dawned on me that the above means we're only on three more points now than we had at the same point last season, but at the same time we're only two points off last season's total points, with nine games left to play, which I guess shows what a poor second half to the season we had last year until we managed a few battling draws in the last games.

Not to be too negative though, main thing is at least there has been improvement overall and from what Carla Ward said in her recent interview we're going to look to improve further in the summer with some big signings and she'd getting a lot of support from Purslow so seems like we still have big plans for the women's team.

Edited by useless

'Aston Villa Women are pleased to announce that Laura Blindkilde Brown has signed a contract extension until 2025.

Blindkilde Brown penned a first professional contract in September having made 24 goal contributions for our WSL Academy during the 2020/21 season.

The forward-thinking midfielder has since made nine first-team appearances in all competitions and netted her first senior goal against Sunderland in December.

Congratulations, Laura!'

OS

Good news as she looks a promising playmaker.

Hannah Hampton and Jill Scott also in the latest England squad.

• Like 2

I like the investment in the team and Purslow rightly knows this is a massive growth area in the game. But our results have been poor and not matched our investment. I can see us changing head coach if things dont improve. We take this seriously now I am happy to say. 

I really didn't care for Carla Ward's upbeat interview after losing to Chelsea 3-1. it smacked of Paul Lamberts "ignore what you saw, that was a great performance the players gave everything, dont talk about my tactics. "  level interviews. Not good.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

We're only three points better off now than we were at this stage last season, but the other side to that is that we're only two points off last season's points total. To be honest as it stands I think if Cara Ward was to leave now I think it would more likely be because of a 'bigger' team taking her from us rather than us voluntarliy letting her go, she seems to be very highly rated in the game and there was some surprise when we got her as she was being linked to 'bigger' jobs.

There was much talk in the summer about us becoming a midtable team after our recruitment, but if you look at the players we brought in I think midtable should have been seen as an ambitious target rather than an expectation, we were buying players from small heath, Bristol City, Leiceter who had been a championship team, we brought in a few from midtable WSL teams, but even they were more squad players, our best players this season have probably been Hampton and Mayling from small heath, and Allen from Leicester.

This January you could say we've made some higher profile signings with Patten coming from Arsenal and Jill Scott from Man City, and Patten mistaken aside against West Ham, you can see the difference in quality, Corsie another one, so I'm sure in the second half of the season we will be hoping for more.

• Like 1

Â