Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

I missed the final twenty minutes, but should have finished the game off before then, had a feeling not scoring a third could prove costly, very frustrating. Hard to be positive after that, but the positives are we didn't lose, still have a game in hand, we're still outside the relegation, have two games coming up against small and West Ham from which we can get something, whilst Bristol City have to play Man Utd and Brighton.

• Like 3

We just need to match the number of points that Bristol City get from their final two games from our last three to stay up, given our vastly superior goal difference. Pity we didn't hold onto that lead today, but I guess they wanted to emulate the men last season, by staying up on the last day as well. ;) 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Such a poor last goal to concede.

As much as I want to see Women's football develop and improve the really bad keeping in the whole league remains a huge problem.

it's always been the worst aspect of the women's game. the passing, shooting, heading etc has massively improved in the last 10 years. but the keepers really do look just as crap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

it's always been the worst aspect of the women's game. the passing, shooting, heading etc has massively improved in the last 10 years. but the keepers really do look just as crap.

Is it because the average male goalkeeper is probably 6ft 4 and the average female goalkeeper is probably 5ft 10?

*disclaimer - I have no idea what the actual average is, I’m just speculating.

Edited by ender4

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

Is it because the average male goalkeeper is probably 6ft 4 and the average female goalkeeper is probably 5ft 10?

it's not just that, the handling and general command of penalty areas is just appalling. the latter was the error that cost villa the win the other day

Just seen that Bristol City only have two games left against Man Utd and Brighton, if it goes to form good chance that they will lose both of those and we could stay up without picking up another point, but if we can beat Small Heath tomorrow that will put us in a really strong postion, because of goal difference would mean that Bristol City will need to get something from both their remaining games and hope that we lose to both West Ham and Arsenal in our final two games.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, useless said:

Just seen that Bristol City only have two games left against Man Utd and Brighton, if it goes to form good chance that they will lose both of those and we could stay up without picking up another point, but if we can beat Small Heath tomorrow that will put us in a really strong postion, because of goal difference would mean that Bristol City will need to get something from both their remaining games and hope that we lose to both West Ham and Arsenal in our final two games.

A win would also put Small Heath ladies into serious relegation danger. :clap: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

Even if they lose all their remaining three games, Bristol City would have to beat either Man Utd or Brighton for them to go down.

The only trouble is that the seagullesses have little to play for apart from pride and finishing the season on a high with a win. It's at Brighton but I guess there may be no crowd still which won't help.

Anyway, big six pointer for Villa tonight, I'm gonna watch it live on the FA player website, I believe it's free.

On 26/04/2021 at 18:34, ender4 said:

Just saw that our number 1 keeper, Lisa Weiss, is 5ft 7. Yeah, surely it's easier for the keepers who are about 6ft. Hope Solo's tall, she was perhaps the best keeper in the world. Karen Bardsley's tall, I reckon she must be about 5ft 11 or 6ft, and she's good generally. Carly Telford looks quite tall too, she's also good overall. Then again, if the average height of the outfield women is about the same as that of the goalkeeper women, then I guess lack of height isn't much of an excuse for most of the keepers? :s

I do think tomav84 has a point... the passing, crossing, ball control, headers, shooting, it's all so good these days from the top teams in the top leagues in women's football (especially when you consider the huge disparity between the money in the women's game and the men's) but... I have seen some shocking keeping here and there from some of the keepers in the WSL and the Women's Championship in the last 10 years. Maybe the outfield play has  improved more than the goalkeeping and if so I can't see why.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Do you know if it's available for those outside the UK?

Hi Villalad! I think it might be, I saw on it somewhere "if you live outside the UK... ". It's a website I only just discovered for the first time today and I created a free account. Here's the address:

faplayer.thefa.com

Do you live in the US?

6 minutes ago, robby b said:

Hi Villalad! I think it might be, I saw on it somewhere "if you live outside the UK... ". It's a website I only just discovered for the first time today and I created a free account. Here's the address:

faplayer.thefa.com

Do you live in the US?

Thanks buddy, and yes.

Â