Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Didn't have any particularly stand-out moments on Tuesday but he's just playing so effortlessly well at the moment. Always thought he was a quality player but his consistency and ability to take a stranglehold of more or less every game he plays now has been something else.

• Like 3

Douglas ‘Pirlo’ Luiz has been fantastic under Emery. I can’t believe (I can really) that the last ‘manager’ left him out at the start of the season. I’m so glad the club stepped in and refused to sell him to Arsenal, I’m sure the ‘manager’ would have. 

• Like 3

Just now, duke313 said:

Surely deserves a run in the Brazil national team now?

I agree, he’s certainly good enough. I’m not to too fussed personally though, I quite like our players spending the international breaks at BMH with Professor Emery. But I get that’s important to the players. 

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

Didn't have any particularly stand-out moments on Tuesday but he's just playing so effortlessly well at the moment. Always thought he was a quality player but his consistency and ability to take a stranglehold of more or less every game he plays now has been something else.

All these highlights are stand out moments. The fact he makes everything look effortless proves how much of a standout player he is. He's tip top in everything he does, technically smooth, composure, awareness, passing range, positioning..... he's even got that bloke strength he lacked. He's getting better all the time just as I knew he would. One of the best players to watch in the PL at the moment. 

• Like 2

It’s hard to notice what he does to fans unless you’re playing against him - he always finds space (albeit a fraction slower than Boubs we’re talking milliseconds) and his passing between the lines is always crisp and precise. 

I always found comments about him being passive and a side to side passer laughable. Those ten yard passes forwards which may not look like much actually open the game for us by taking out 2/3 defensive players. 

The guy is becoming world class. Exquisite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s hard to notice what he does to fans unless you’re playing against him - he always finds space (albeit a fraction slower than Boubs we’re talking milliseconds) and his passing between the lines is always crisp and precise. 

I always found comments about him being passive and a side to side passer laughable. Those ten yard passes forwards which may not look like much actually open the game for us by taking out 2/3 defensive players. 

Always been a big fan of Dougie.  I think the problem pre-Emery is that he was playing a different game to the rest of the midfield.  He's always been looking to play the quick pass, make the little lay-off to make space, find room and then look for the next option.  The problem was that the rest of the midfield weren't looking for those same passes / trying to find space and were instead trying to get the ball forward a quickly as possible.  The fact that Emery has got (almost) the whole midfield and defence to show for the ball and play a similar game is just allowing Luiz to play his natural game and show how good many of us thought he was on the ball.  At the same time Emery has also got the midfield (even McGinn) chasing back and tracking their players which means that in defence Luiz isn't outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 which was the case in the past.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Sudden flashback to @Con in the Barry Bannan thread.

GIF of a forward pass to Benteke against Liverpool incoming. 

Â