Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Had a couple of dodgy moments today but overall excellent again. I love watching him play effortlessly at times linking everything together. Him and Kamara have been so instrumental in the change in fortunes under Emery. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1

Just now, Noel said:

I thought He was terrific today and has turned into a really important player for us.  I have to admit that for most of his time with us I thought He was distinctly average, apart from that spell after lockdown.

I have changed my mind about him this season and now see him as a top premier League midfielder and one that could drive us into a European place next year.

Yes he really stepped up and ran that midfield today 

• Like 1

It's actually a scandal that this guy hasn't got a recall for Brazil this month, Joao Gomes from Wolves in the squad over him is a farce. He's been one of our best players all season and is definitely one of the top performing midfielders in the league now. Literally at least a 7/10 every week from him, another very good display again today. 

The irony is he was getting called up regularly for Brazil a couple of years ago when he was really inconsistent and made rash decisions, now he can't seem to get a look in but is actually performing far, far better for us. How he didn't get a World Cup place over Fred I'll never know. 

2 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

By far our most composed player in possession of the ball. Noticeably dictating the play from everywhere on the pitch. Interestingly, without Kamara today and he was still roaming forward into dangerous areas. It shows how far we've come that there is now a trust that whoever pushes forward will be covered. He's becoming a fantastic all round player. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I just think Dougie is a player everyone else must love playing with. If the pass is on, he'll see it. He passes early and with good weight. You can drill the ball into him anywhere on the pitch. He doesn't overcomplicate things. And he respects his defensive duties.

Yes maybe he doesn't have the athleticism to dominate a game, and he doesn't do quite enough in the final third, but he's one of those players you can just slot into any system and he'll probably do a decent job.

And he keeps getting better. Really hope we hang on to him for a while.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

he really is turning in to a superb player, the player we dreamed he might become when he first joined.

He clearly fits Emery's system like a glove, and i find it super ironic that tbh, i think Emery is the first manager who has used him in the correct way.

Smith always played him as the sole 6 (granted he had no choice - as we didnt have another DM who was good enough), Gerrard rarely played him (which is just unbelievable), Emery is using him as a hybrid 6/8 in a double pivot, suits him perfectly.

If we were to sign another DM/MC in the summer, i think Luiz could also play the Buendia role, ie: starting on the left but cutting in to the midfield in a more advanced role, he has the ability i think.

Either way, he is developing in to a superb player under Emery.

Always thought that Luiz would become a really good player for us and it really looks like he's blossoming this season. Always performs well and is possibly our most consistent player this season. Another good performance.

Is Rice better than him? He's probably stronger and a better tackler but overall? If he is, there isn't much in it. 

My concern is whether that new contract contained some sort of agreement he could leave if an offer amounting to X arrives this summer. 

He's improved SO much under Emery. Way more than I'd have imagined. 

Â