Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would love if he stayed, should be a regular starter for us

I don't know if he should be a first choice starter - mostly as I haven't really seen him play away from that DM role - but it's easy to forget he's still a young player, learning his craft.  He's technically very good and gives us a different option to McGinn/Ramsey (if played further forward) and could "double pivot" (I hate myself) with Kamara nicely if needed too.  Plus there's the whole South American contingent bonus.

It's a no brainer to try and get him to stay.  Would cost a lot of people to replace as well.

I'm not trying to be controversial, but I'd rather keep Luiz than McGinn for the tactics Gerrard wants us to play. So much better on the ball, better range of passing, and doesn't have the first touch of a baby elephant. I think in our current setup the only thing McGinn has over him is his engine. McGinn never stops.

I really hope we keep Luiz. Technical player who can help us keep the ball higher up the field. I'd love to see him get some consistent time in the role McGinn plays for us.

• Like 1

Hoping he signs as he’s one of our most gifted players technically and think will excel in the 8 role. Not a guaranteed starter for me but he’s a good player and one we should be keeping. 

• Like 1

If he does sign a new deal, or even the fact that we’re properly discussing a new deal with Luiz… to me that sounds like we couldn’t get the CM we were targeting and so now have decided we want to keep Luiz instead.  So no more midfield transfer incomings.

Edited by ender4
  • Confused 1

I’d be happy for Dougie to sign a new contract. He’s been looking real good as an 8 in preseason. 

I’ve felt “the new 8” we’ve been asking for has rested on Doug and is contract situation.

if he stays, he’s our new number 8

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

Percy calls out in the article that it'll be for a long term extension.

Cynically I assumed an extension might be a new 2 years deal with a big payrise for Dougie but realistically meaning we get some money for him next summer when he moves.

But a new long term deal as Percy says would be great. I really like Dougie and don't think as a club we have given him the opportunity to show us his best form consistently by misjudging the type of midfielder he is. With Kamara we now have the chance to let Dougie shine further forwards.

• Like 3

do i think he's our best midfielder? no

but in terms of squad harmony, there seems to be a good little clique there between the south american contingent, 2 of which are our vice captains so i guess it's a good thing that it stays together

i just hope that we never see him playing as a 6 again

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

If he does sign a new deal, or even the fact that we’re properly discussing a new deal with Luiz… to me that sounds like we couldn’t get the CM we were targeting and so now have decided we want to keep Luiz instead.  So no more midfield transfer incomings.

I agree with this, but I'm not upset is that's what has come to pass. 

The unknown isn't always better,  and I'm convinced Dougie will make a better 8 than either of the two we were using there for nearly all of last season.

No need to settle a new signing in,  get him up to speed with our formation, get him used to our tactics, get them integrated in to the squad.

And in top of that, no loss of a £30m player for free (or less than market value).

This is absolutely no bad thing. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Â