Mahmoud 'Trézéguet' Hassan

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I think he will become a good player for us. He's not the finished article and came here from a much easier league/country to play in. He's got loads of time on his side and I think that he will be fine. 

Wasn't it Trez who played the ball out wide to Jack in the build up to the winning goal on Saturday? 

Nah it was Mcginn.  Agree about Trez though. 

11 hours ago, av1 said:

I've not read the last few pages so can't comment on exactly what you're referring to, but from my point of view, I'm not saying I'm sold on the kid, just saying that with the frustratingly inconsistent El Ghazi for competition I think he should maybe be given a run of a couple of games.

That is the problem really and why el ghazi won't be dropped. El ghazi is too inconsistent to drop because one game he will have a stinker like against Brighton the next he will curl 2 in top the top corner and put a peach of a ball in for one of our players to tap in. 

El ghazi also had great runs off the ball whereas trez looks a bit aimless. If you compare Jack's counter from a corner against spurs and Brighton our Brighton one looked more dangerous because el ghazi made the right run. Against spurs trez was essentially running parallel with a defender and when he switched his run he was way to late to be played through. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don't know, I think El Ghazi might have more technical potential, but is a bit of a self-centred cretin, very head down in his playing style, probably a difficult player to coach. Whereas Trez is a heads up player, and a proper unselfish team man who you can see is really popular with his teammates, and will probably grow in this kind of environment.

But the big issue with Trez is his shooting and crossing are poor (from what I've seen so far), whereas El Ghazi is usually pretty good at taking chances.

It's very similar to the problem we have with Douglas and Hourihane actually - one player better in general play, and the other better in the final third.

I dont know where you get that he is a self-centered cretin from? When I have seen him play he is trying to set team mates up in good positions, see the goal Grealish scores against Norwich, where he easily could have taken a shot at goal himself.

• Like 2

I think I'm the only one who thinks we're lucky to have both El Ghazi and Trez :) 

Both young enough to improve weaknesses, both new to the league, both have shown they have certain qualities and both have shown to be inconsistent. 

They'll both get better with time. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think I'm the only one who thinks we're lucky to have both El Ghazi and Trez :) 

Both young enough to improve weaknesses, both new to the league, both have shown they have certain qualities and both have shown to be inconsistent. 

They'll both get better with time. 

I do think we are lucky to be in a position to be able to complain about players like El Ghazi and Trez not being good enough. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don't know, I think El Ghazi might have more technical potential, but is a bit of a self-centred cretin, very head down in his playing style, probably a difficult player to coach. Whereas Trez is a heads up player, and a proper unselfish team man who you can see is really popular with his teammates, and will probably grow in this kind of environment.

But the big issue with Trez is his shooting and crossing are poor (from what I've seen so far), whereas El Ghazi is usually pretty good at taking chances.

It's very similar to the problem we have with Douglas and Hourihane actually - one player better in general play, and the other better in the final third.

It’s funny what people see in football, I’m not going to dispute your view as it’s your opinion, but I must say that if I had written that it would have been the other way round completely.

I don’t think El Ghazi is a primadonna, if you see his interviews he comes across as really nice, grounded and respectful, I think he does have confidence issues though which maybe manifest themselves in different ways - and ‘cretin’, really? Super inappropriate in my view.

Even the analysis, Trez is absolutely not a heads up player, as illustrated in the game on Saturday, at one point he got to the by-line and all he had to do was put it across goal and Davis (I think) would have had a tap in, instead he pulled it back to the edge of the area where we had no-one waiting. El Ghazi also is liable to do this at times but then a lot of wide players will be, they don’t always have time to lift their heads up to check on who is where but I think he plays with his head up more than Trez, from what I’ve seen at least.

Strange perspective but hey, it’s up to you what you believe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

I want to see Trezeguet's pace against Citeh and Liverpool, where we will probably playing on the counter a lot.

I'm hoping that we birng Benrahma in next summer as he trumps both of them IMHO.

I really wanted him in last window but commented on FB page before last game with 2 assists he had no goals or assists in +500 minutes of injury. Perhaps to do with coming back from injury. Trez still seems all flash and no end product for me. I'm happy to be proven wrong

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s funny what people see in football, I’m not going to dispute your view as it’s your opinion, but I must say that if I had written that it would have been the other way round completely.

I don’t think El Ghazi is a primadonna, if you see his interviews he comes across as really nice, grounded and respectful, I think he does have confidence issues though which maybe manifest themselves in different ways - and ‘cretin’, really? Super inappropriate in my view.

Even the analysis, Trez is absolutely not a heads up player, as illustrated in the game on Saturday, at one point he got to the by-line and all he had to do was put it across goal and Davis (I think) would have had a tap in, instead he pulled it back to the edge of the area where we had no-one waiting. El Ghazi also is liable to do this at times but then a lot of wide players will be, they don’t always have time to lift their heads up to check on who is where but I think he plays with his head up more than Trez, from what I’ve seen at least.

Strange perspective but hey, it’s up to you what you believe.

Cool.

My opinion on Trez is a bit half-formed, based on pre-season and a few league appearances, so fair enough - might be wrong.

But the El Ghazi stuff I'm confident on. "Cretin" was a bit strong, but he doesn't read the game well, and I don't think he's fully integrated with the squad. You can just see it in the way goals are celebrated, arguments kick off, etc. I've no doubt he's a nice enough lad, and I was all for signing him in the summer.

I like and rate him, but I think his flaws are there to see. DS has been working with him for nearly a year now, and I don't see the same improvement as with some of our other players. He continues to blow hot and cold, and continues to make basic defensive errors.

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Cool.

My opinion on Trez is a bit half-formed, based on pre-season and a few league appearances, so fair enough - might be wrong.

But the El Ghazi stuff I'm confident on. "Cretin" was a bit strong, but he doesn't read the game well, and I don't think he's fully integrated with the squad. You can just see it in the way goals are celebrated, arguments kick off, etc. I've no doubt he's a nice enough lad, and I was all for signing him in the summer.

I like and rate him, but I think his flaws are there to see. DS has been working with him for nearly a year now, and I don't see the same improvement as with some of our other players. He continues to blow hot and cold, and continues to make basic defensive errors.

To be fair to the lad like all of them he is still new to the league but still has 3 assists and 2 goals in 7 starts. Not a bad return

• Like 3

We're =5th with Spurs for goals scored and El Ghazi has highest goal involvement for a Villa player equal with Grealish and Wesley and I assume has played less minutes so this blows hot and cold after last game being poor is a load of reactionary bollocks imo

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I like Trez, but I see people refer to his pace. Is he really quicker that El Ghazi? I thought it was the other way around. 

Looks much quicker to me and that seems to be the accepted view of most as well.

37 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're =5th with Spurs for goals scored and El Ghazi has highest goal involvement for a Villa player equal with Grealish and Wesley and I assume has played less minutes so this blows hot and cold after last game being poor is a load of reactionary bollocks imo

I do think AEG blows hot and cold as well - some games he can be magnificent (a "8/9") and others he is carried (a "4/5" like this weekend).  Maybe that is the nature of wide players although I think there are numerous examples of PL wide men that are more consistent. 

I was pleased we signed AEG - £8m (or whatever) is a snip in the current market for a player at his level.  However, I was hoping he was going to be first change for Benrahma and another on the opposite side - I hoped Trez would be that latter player (he still might be?!).  Obviously, Jack has now moved up to the LW and looks imperious in that position and should stay there so we are looking for someone to hold down the RW.

I still feel this way about AEG.  I like him as back up but don't feel that he is yet consistently good enough to be a starter in a good PL team.  If I look around our team, assuming we stay in the PL, no-one comes through strongly over the remainder of the season and we don't lose anybody, I would think the areas we need to strengthen next summer are: two full backs to replace Elmo and Taylor and compete with Targett and Guilbert; someone to replace Jack in the midfield three (assuming Jack stays at inside left); a striker to compete (maybe January!) and a right winger.

20 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I do think AEG blows hot and cold as well - some games he can be magnificent (a "8/9") and others he is carried (a "4/5" like this weekend).  Maybe that is the nature of wide players although I think there are numerous examples of PL wide men that are more consistent. 

I was pleased we signed AEG - £8m (or whatever) is a snip in the current market for a player at his level.  However, I was hoping he was going to be first change for Benrahma and another on the opposite side - I hoped Trez would be that latter player (he still might be?!).  Obviously, Jack has now moved up to the LW and looks imperious in that position and should stay there so we are looking for someone to hold down the RW.

I still feel this way about AEG.  I like him as back up but don't feel that he is yet consistently good enough to be a starter in a good PL team.  If I look around our team, assuming we stay in the PL, no-one comes through strongly over the remainder of the season and we don't lose anybody, I would think the areas we need to strengthen next summer are: two full backs to replace Elmo and Taylor and compete with Targett and Guilbert; someone to replace Jack in the midfield three (assuming Jack stays at inside left); a striker to compete (maybe January!) and a right winger.

No player in our price range will be a good consistent pl winger. For that it is 50+ mil I also don't think anyone we can sign for under 30 can match el ghazi on a good day. If he is on he is Ronaldo lite but will pass. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

No, it's not reactionary. It's been his pattern at Villa since he joined. He's been poor in quite a few PL games already this year.

I still back him to start (I think), but it's totally fair to say he blows hot and cold.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what people expect from a winger who cost £8m. 

We were happy in the summer to recruit Benhrama for 20-25m and he's unproven in the prem and would very likely be just as inconsistent.  The grass isn't always greener.

He provides direct pace and power, you know he'll score 5-10 goals and provide 5-10 assists.  For his first season in the prem I think he's played exactly how I thought he would. 

There are players out there that cost 10x the amount he did, and are playing at a similar level.

Wingers are notoriously inconsistent, and they tend to play better when you dominate the ball, we're not at the moment so there's more expectation on defending and lessening the pressure on the defence, it's not easy when you're crowded out. 

I think Trez is in a similar position. Good value for money, but without the goal/assists he probably deserves.  Trez needs more composure, he gets in good positions, but his finishing is "head down, blast it", he'd be better off trying to pass it in from looking at some of the opportunities he's had. 

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

No way is Trez quicker than AEG. No way.

I agree I think it looks that way because trez is smaller so he looks quicker. He might also have a quicker first step but I don't think there is much difference in pace. 

Â