Mahmoud 'Trézéguet' Hassan

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

No, it's not reactionary. It's been his pattern at Villa since he joined. He's been poor in quite a few PL games already this year.

I still back him to start (I think), but it's totally fair to say he blows hot and cold.

Versus Trez who has done a whole lot of nothing much. 5 goal involvements in 9 games would average out about 20 for season which would be amazing. El Ghazi stick is nonsense

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Versus Trez who has done a whole lot of nothing much. 5 goal involvements in 9 games would average out about 20 for season which would be amazing. El Ghazi stick is nonsense

El ghazi has only played 8 games and has come on as a sub in one. So it translates closer to 22 or 23 if you expect him to start all of the rest of the games bar one or 2. Which would translate to 36 games on the season which I assume you were suggesting. 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I didn't say Trez was a better player. I said AEG has better end product in the final third, and Trez is a better all round midfielder, but lacks that end product. It was just a straight up comparison of their strengths and weaknesses. Surprised it has been controversial.

Already said this, but I back AEG to start ahead of Trez for now. But he's a level below our consistent performers (Grealish, Mings, Engels, McGinn, Nakamba) who tend to perform respectably every game IMO. And I think if Trez can improve in the final third, AEG's place will be under threat.

Let's see - my suspicion is none of our current crop of wingers will be first XI players in a couple of years. But I've no doubt they'll do a decent job for us while we're trying to find our feet again as a PL side. Is it really that mad to say AEG blows hot and cold though? It's not "stick", just a statement of fact. I wasn't suggesting we bench or sell him!

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I didn't say Trez was a better player. I said AEG has better end product in the final third, and Trez is a better all round midfielder, but lacks that end product. It was just a straight up comparison of their strengths and weaknesses. Surprised it has been controversial.

Already said this, but I back AEG to start ahead of Trez for now. But he's a level below our consistent performers (Grealish, Mings, Engels, McGinn, Nakamba) who tend to perform respectably every game IMO. And I think if Trez can improve in the final third, AEG's place will be under threat.

Let's see - my suspicion is none of our current crop of wingers will be first XI players in a couple of years. But I've no doubt they'll do a decent job for us while we're trying to find our feet again as a PL side. Is it really that mad to say AEG blows hot and cold though? It's not "stick", just a statement of fact. I wasn't suggesting we bench or sell him!

I'm not directing solely at you. I've seen numerous FB posts about AEG in the same vein. Saw the same with Wesley after Burnley before his brace(squandered hat trick)

It's really tricky with Trez and Anwar. They are both insanely talented and both flawed too. Trez seems to be able to breeze past people for fun but goes to jelly when the heat of the moment arrives. Anwar can breeze past people but nowhere near as devastatingly and also fluffs a lot of good positions and chances. It's the nature of a winger I guess but Anwar has more end product despite Trez being a bit more electric and exciting from deep positions. 1 on 1 against a defender from a standing start Anwar wins with tricks and power, running with the ball from deep, Trez has this ability to just go past players. 

It's really tough because does Trez work harder overall and have a bigger impact on the team as a whole compared to Anwar who's more of an attacking player as a whole. 

Against City I'd go for Trez as he'll run himself into the ground on the wing, then replace with Anwar who can hit them on the break. 

Both are young enough and have all the attributes to be whatever they want to be. If Anwar stood up stronger, used his size instead of throwing himself down to the ground with ease then he'd punish defenders instead of letting them off with a cheap free-kick. If Trez could raise his head before crossing or just look where the keeper is before pulling the trigger on a shot then he'd be lethal but the go to is panic shot/cross in the main when there's obviously so much more there. That's what is frustrating but with good coaching it can come. 

Let's not get into a one camp or the other with them, they both are valuable and we can make them more so if we use them well. 

At this stage El Ghazi has shown WAY more in a Villa shirt than Trez. It's not even a debate unless you're trying to make it one for the sake of it. 

Trez looked lively when he came on against Brighton, he stretched the game and gave them something else to think about. Having that kind of impact from the bench adds a nice string to our bow. However in order to take the shirt he has to show that he can produce too in terms of final ball and he just hasn't done that yet. It's El Ghazi's gig for now, no question in my mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/10/2019 at 05:54, Kiwivillan said:

We've scored 15 goals. El Ghazi has 2G 3A. That's 33% goal involvement =1st with Grealish and Wesley. McGinn is 4GI. Trez has 1 assist. It's absurd people are saying Trez needs a run and El Ghazi should be benched. Trez came from an average league and looks out of his depth in PL imo

Not absurd if you watch him play. el Ghazi is rubbish in 75% of the matches he plays.
If he could play like he did in the playoff final more often, I'd be saying he should start.

Him and Wesley are the weaklinks in our team in the moment and the club will address it in Jan when we sign a winger and a striker. 

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not absurd if you watch him play. el Ghazi is rubbish in 75% of the matches he plays.
If he could play like he did in the playoff final more often, I'd be saying he should start.

Him and Wesley are the weaklinks in our team in the moment and the club will address it in Jan when we sign a winger and a striker. 

El ghazi is good in 1/4 games, alright 1/2 the time and bad 1/4 of the time. However he is special 1/10 games and when he is special he is the best player on the pitch and will score screamers and get brilliant assists. 

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

You've responded to post I've made highlighting El Ghazi and Wesley have been involved in 3rd of our goals scored each and you call them the weak links. We're =5th biggest scoring team in PL atm so I would call that moronic

8 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Covered the most distance today - 12.3km. Guess that eradicates the theory that he's not fit enough for this league. 

And this is the whole point in the AEG vs. Trez debate.

AEG is better when you play 4-3-3 against a side you feel confident taking on. He plays as a wide forward, and he offers that threat in the final third. He can't be relied on to make the right tracking runs, he just doesn't read the game well enough defensively.

Trez is better when you play 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 against a very good side, and you're mainly looking for defensive work rate. Unfortunately, he does fluff a lot of good positions.

• Like 1

Thought he looked much better when we tried to play him into space, spent too much time making him pick up the ball relatively deep and/or back to goal (though that's probably expected against a side like City) which didn't let him use his pace.

Â