Matt Targett

villan-scott

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We are probably three seasons away from Newcastle finishing above us every single season.

It would be very stupid to sell Targett to them for £15m.

you'd at least guess that we know the market for him based on interest and offers for him in jan

its easy to say we should sell him for £30m+ but harder to then say to who...if newcastle are the only club interested and we dont want him then we take what we can get and move on

I'm pleased Targett is doing well. Likeable player and did a good job for us. He'll never be first choice for us now we have upgraded at left back. 

£15m plus whatever the loan fee is (£5m) and thats decent business. 

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We are probably three seasons away from Newcastle finishing above us every single season.

It would be very stupid to sell Targett to them for £15m.

Signing Targett for £15m plus whatever they paid to have him for half of this season isn’t going to help Newcastle finish above us.

The rave reviews he is getting are largely because he’s being compared to the likes of Jamal Lewis and Matt Ritchie playing left back that they had before. He isn’t suddenly the new Andy Robertson. He’s never getting a look in at Villa and to be honest he is a bottom half left back at best. The deal is a good one for a player whose value is only going to decline if he were to stay at Villa next season.

• Like 1

That POTS means nothing. Targett only won it because Jack was injured.  You could easily argue Jack, Emi and Ollie were all much better and more important to our team last season. 

Without a world class winger to overlap with he is a bang average fullback, as most have stated in here.  We can either take the 15-20 million Newcastle will pay or be stuck with him for another 3 years. It's an easy choice in the end. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

get out of here with your sensible, well thought out ideas

we're getting mugged off, we're shit, sack everyone

oh and digne is also shit, we overpaid for him, sack everyone else

We've reached the point where the hyperbole going back is even worse and more frequent, haven't we?

It's not ridiculous to suggest £15m seems a bit low even if we "probably" got a loan fee. We're reported to have bought him for around that when he was a backup at Southampton.

Newcastle were also reported to have paid around that for Jamal Lewis, the guy Targett only looks like a footballer because he is better than. That was when they had tracksuit money, not oil money 

How much is the loan fee in your sensible, well thought out idea that compensates? Has to be at least £5m for me, but I still feel we could have got more from the richest owners in world football staring at relegation during their first transfer window.

• Like 1

Recency bias on here striking again. If someone had offered £15mil in January some would have bitten their hands off. If they'd offered £15mil in the summer we'd have laughed them away with a stupid offer for our undisputed first choice LB

14 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Signing Targett for £15m plus whatever they paid to have him for half of this season isn’t going to help Newcastle finish above us.

The rave reviews he is getting are largely because he’s being compared to the likes of Jamal Lewis and Matt Ritchie playing left back that they had before. He isn’t suddenly the new Andy Robertson. He’s never getting a look in at Villa and to be honest he is a bottom half left back at best. The deal is a good one for a player whose value is only going to decline if he were to stay at Villa next season.

Of course he isnt going to help them finish over us but its a position they wont need to automatically upgrade now compare to other positions. Will allow them spend bigger on centre backs and midfielders 

12 hours ago, skarroki said:

Recency bias on here striking again. If someone had offered £15mil in January some would have bitten their hands off. If they'd offered £15mil in the summer we'd have laughed them away with a stupid offer for our undisputed first choice LB

Again its the team thats buying him thats the issue with the finances. Newcastle spent 25 million on Wood and 12 million on Dan Burn. We should not have loaned him in the first place and have done them a huge favour

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Again its the team thats buying him thats the issue with the finances. Newcastle spent 25 million on Wood and 12 million on Dan Burn. We should not have loaned him in the first place and have done them a huge favour

I personally think £15m is a little cheap but I think those comparisons actually show it’s in line with their other signings and the market. Targett at 25% more then Dan Burn feels about right.

If they hadn’t signed him they would have picked up another left back so I’m not too worried from that perspective… frankly I just would like to have seen EVERYONE refuse to do business with them.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2022 at 01:13, Laughable Chimp said:

Because with all due respect to Lucas Digne, he isn't exactly the Erling Haaland of left backs is he? We didn't get a world class left back, if he was one we wouldn't have paid only 25m for him. Hell, if he was one he wouldn't have gone to us. It is telling that despite Everton fans universal hatred of Benitez, the reaction to Digne leaving has been rather mixed.

Look, I do think Digne is better than Targett but the gap really isn't as massive as people are making it out to be. Targett is coming of 2 very decent seasons and as much as I like to meme on the "player of the year" thing, there's a reason he won it. He is a decent player, and he should have more self-confidence in his abilities.

Do you think that maybe, SG spotted that?

This is just me being a pedant but I have to say it anyway - he won Players Player of The Season, which is obviously still an achievement in itself but wasn't it Martinez that won the main vote?

Targett signed for Villa for 14 million and was one of our best players. And now is being sold to an extremely rich club who know he performs well in their side and we are looking for 15. For a player who has now played 2/3 PL seasons that they hadn't when we signed him. 

15 million is not nearly enough. I don't know what the relevance of the loan fee is. Newcastle spent 15 million on Jamal Lewis.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, skarroki said:

Yep - a few decent performances for an average Newcastle and suddenly all is forgotten. Shame really. I think the nice guy factor helps. I think it’s just best for both parties that he can get regular games and we get a decent return value. 

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Keeps doing very well and was MOTM against Southampton. Not bad for such a shit player.

Just doesn't suit our system. He's a solid player and I hope we get a decent fee for him.

Â