Matt Targett

villan-scott

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats a fair point.

I think Jack going affected him more than most, probably close to Ollie Watkins too.

Yep I think Watkins drop off this season is a mental thing, a bit of Jack, bit of 2nd season syndrome, bit of ings coming in, bit of his personal life changing 

But whereas I think Ollie we have to persevere with and get him back Targett was easier to replace 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Targett was useless in the final third. The position Smith played him when Grealish went, looked like he was trying to cover him on the left, his crossing ability must have had serious input into Smith demise, so so poor.

I don't think he was as good defensively either, as some will have you believe, he was easy to get around the back of.....The performance against Watford, was staggering.

He was just steady, for me....nothing more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think he was as good defensively either, as some will have you believe, he was easy to get around the back of.....The performance against Watford, was staggering.

He was just steady, for me....nothing more.

So often he got caught out defensively - concrete boots. Certainly cost us some goals too. Just had nothing to offer - the drop off was staggering.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

but he lost his place in an awful squad, its all relative.

that is not the point.....the point is, he fought back.

Hutton was a downgrade on Matt Lowton who's still plying his trade in the PL 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but he lost his place in an awful squad, its all relative.

that is not the point.....the point is, he fought back.

Using Hutton as an example to compare Targett's lack of fight is just wrong. He didn't really fight back. He went out on loan as soon as he got dropped (like Targett did), then we came down to his level and he just happened to have stuck around long enough (possibly out of lack of ambition/desire to move away from a cushy contract) so that he fit in with the squad quality at that time. If we kept improving the way that this squad is at the moment then there is a good possibility he would also have looked for a way out too. On the other hand he might just have been happy enough to keep taking his paycheck and keep going out on loan as he was doing in the seasons where he wasn't making the squads.

This narrative that Hutton fought tooth and nail to get his place back is a myth. Only when the competition was gone did he stick around again. Just because he left his foot in from time to time and kung-fu kicked Berahino in the nuts that time is he seen as a hard man and "up for the fight". In reality he bailed when he had no place in the squad and had to fight for his place. He was in no way up for the fight.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

Not a single thing about the Targett to Newcastle loan that I like. 

Don't particularly rate Targett in the role that we use the LB under Gerrard but that's not the point. We help out the Saudis without even getting a transfer fee while also making our squad weaker.

No insight into what went on behind the scenes but can't see this guy ⬇️ throwing tantrums and making himself impossible here. But who knows.

Thumbs Up GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY   

1 hour ago, sne said:

Don't particularly rate Targett in the role that we use the LB under Gerrard but that's not the point. We help out the Saudis without even getting a transfer fee while also making our squad weaker

Seems surprising we wouldn’t be charging a significant loan fee. Where have you seen this?

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Seems surprising we wouldn’t be charging a significant loan fee. Where have you seen this?

Not saying we aren't getting a loan fee, I said transfer fee. I'm against loaning him. Been fine if we'd sold him for a substantial transfer fee.

Just now, sne said:

Not saying we aren't getting a loan fee, I said transfer fee. I'm against loaning him. Been fine if we'd sold him for a substantial transfer fee.

Got it. My hope is the loan fee is a few million anyway and hopefully protects his value if we do sell him in the summer. Though personally I would have rather no-one dealt with Newcastle!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Got it. My hope is the loan fee is a few million anyway and hopefully protects his value if we do sell him in the summer. Though personally I would have rather no-one dealt with Newcastle!

Yup, same here. Loaning them a player is the worst of both worlds for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Targett was useless in the final third. The position Smith played him when Grealish went, looked like he was trying to cover him on the left, his crossing ability must have had serious input into Smith demise, so so poor.

last couple of games reminded me of when neil taylor was at the club, where players just refused to pass to him in the opponent's half. you could tell they no longer trusted targett to do anything creative

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Not a single thing about the Targett to Newcastle loan that I like. 

Don't particularly rate Targett in the role that we use the LB under Gerrard but that's not the point. We help out the Saudis without even getting a transfer fee while also making our squad weaker.

No insight into what went on behind the scenes but can't see this guy ⬇️ throwing tantrums and making himself impossible here. But who knows.

Thumbs Up GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY   

Is the squad weaker? We've had Young as Back up LB for whole season so he'll remain in that and Digne on the first two games is obvious upgrade.

I agree on loan as opposed to permanent but at least he can't play v us in 8 days time. I see Newcastle actually cut Jamal Lewis from their prem squad so who's been their regular LB under Howe, Dummett? That's an area we can get joy from.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Is the squad weaker? We've had Young as Back up LB for whole season so he'll remain in that and Digne on the first two games is obvious upgrade.

I agree on loan as opposed to permanent but at least he can't play v us in 8 days time. I see Newcastle actually cut Jamal Lewis from their prem squad so who's been their regular LB under Howe, Dummett? That's an area we can get joy from.

I think a squad with Digne, Targett and Young is stronger than a squad with just Digne and Young but that's subjective I guess.

Just now, sne said:

I think a squad with Digne, Targett and Young is stronger than a squad with just Digne and Young but that's subjective I guess.

Maybe if we were in europe or still in FA cup. Playing final 17 games with 3 LBs around seems excessive seeing as Young is no longer needed to plug gaps in midfield. And Digne will always start when fit.

So unload Targett's wages for a few months and hopefully he moves somewhere full time in summer for what we paid or a little more.

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe if we were in europe or still in FA cup. Playing final 17 games with 3 LBs around seems excessive seeing as Young is no longer needed to plug gaps in midfield. And Digne will always start when fit.

So unload Targett's wages for a few months and hopefully he moves somewhere full time in summer for what we paid or a little more.

Agree to disagree on this one but as long as we stay healthy a couple millions in is nice I guess. Even if it's blood money.

From what I can find he's on £35k/w which translates to about £900k for 6 months so not a lot of money saved there. Hope the long fee is substantial,

Edited by sne

So Gerrard has now confirmed that Targett pushed to leave, which also pretty much confirms his original comments about certain players not wanting to fight for their spot were about Targett also.

As much as I understand he wants guaranteed playing time, if you want to play at the very highest level you have to accept and expect competition for positions. 

Had a good debut for Newcastle and I’ve always been a fan, but I’m not a fan of that type of attitude in life so good riddance. 

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

So Gerrard has now confirmed that Targett pushed to leave, which also pretty much confirms his original comments about certain players not wanting to fight for their spot were about Targett also.

As much as I understand he wants guaranteed playing time, if you want to play at the very highest level you have to accept and expect competition for positions. 

Had a good debut for Newcastle and I’ve always been a fan, but I’m not a fan of that type of attitude in life so good riddance. 

Where?

Im not doubting you, but I havent seen anything saying as much

20 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

I dont blame Targett at all for wanting to play first team premier league football. Its pretty blatant/direct what happened, Digne has joined as an upgrade on him. 

• Like 3

Â