Matt Targett

villan-scott

59 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Hickey in for 10-15mill and Targett out for 25-30mill would be some elite club level business

Indeed! People should have a bit more trust in this recruitment team rather than the sheer panic that occured in here last night when the loan to Newcastle was mentioned.

19 minutes ago, useless said:

When people come up with reasons why we shouldn't let Targett go to Newcastle do they not think the club have thought of these reasons? They're not stupid if it happens there will be a plan, or a very good reason for it.

Brining in Hickey would make sense to me because  he can also cover for Cash, we've got Chambers, but think the plan is more to use him as central defender cover, and maybe to come on as DM to try and help us close out games, not sure he would be much use as a right-back in Gerrard's system, he's not bad on the ball at all, but I can't imagine him flying down the wing almost as a winger would.

To be honest, no.

I don't want us to deal with them primarily due to a hatred of the Newcastle regime, another particularly odious state-sponsored club. Who I'd rather we not deal with or assist in anyway unless they pay a huge premium, I can't imagine the board are acting on any kind of emotional thinking i.e. if Newcastle offer £2M more for Targett than Burnley, Targett will be going to Newcastle.

• Like 1

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Boooooo (if true)

weird one for me.

If we are buying Hickey we really want to sell Targett (or a loan with obligation to buy - at the least).

If we arent getting a backup LB, we shouldnt be selling or loaning Targett.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loxstock92 said:

Maybe this is why 

The key word here is 'rejected' .

No team will want to lose a first team player without major compensation. 

I'm not sure i can see the angle on a straight loan fir Targett, may as well prep the physio room for digne's injury now!

Again, I really don't see the point in this. We're better off keeping him here as cover unless we get something out of it (e.g. 20m up front payment to help fund a DM).

A loan is pointless for three reasons:

1) As above, we get very little out of it except wages off the book (which won't have much effect as Targett won't be on a lot) and probably a loan fee of a couple of million

2) It's helping Newcastle out for very little in return, which makes no sense as they could potentially eclipse us at some point in the next three years

3) It's losing a player who can act as good cover at LB and can even play further forward if needs be so would be an important squad member

If we were getting a sizeable transfer fee of around 20m which we could use to fund a top quality DM, then ok. We know Newcastle aren't broke, they've just spent 13m on a bang average Dan Burn for Christ sake, they could go to 20m for Targett if they wanted. 

So all in all I'm disappointed by this one and would be interested to hear the club's justification for it. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

It is a strange one, but trusting Purslow + Lange and co. has to work both ways. Whenever we are looking to sign a player that divides opinion, there are countless posts telling those who are dissenting to trust the guys running the club. Fine, but this has to work with loaning and selling players too.

Personally, I don't really want to be helping Newcastle but the guys running the club obviously have a plan here you would imagine. Newcastle have probably offered something daft like a £7m loan fee plus covering 100% of his wages. It might be too good to turn down and in turn, may allow us to sign Hickey.

Or, we've got a load of clowns in charge and they haven't the foggiest... 

• Like 1

There is just no way we are loaning Targett to Newcastle unless it's hugely beneficial to us, I trust the board on this.

As mentioned, it's either a huge loan fee or mandatory purchase and we have someone else coming in to the team.

• Like 1

Wonder what the rules are regarding adjusting a loan agreement.

I wonder if we can approve a straight loan, tell the PL, then continue to negotiate for a few days on what happens at the end of it.

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

weird one for me.

If we are buying Hickey we really want to sell Targett (or a loan with obligation to buy - at the least).

If we arent getting a backup LB, we shouldnt be selling or loaning Targett.

It is annoying, particularly on loan. They go from having a bottom 3 left back to a mid table left back. And no permanent cost to them. It's like this window theyve built a mid table eleven, which will be enough to keep then up. 

Â