Matt Targett

villan-scott

If we are to sign Hickey then I can see the point in selling Targett, I’d be okay with that. I’d prefer not to let him go if we only have Young to cover, but if he wants to play and he’s not going to at Villa, it’s understandable. 

Like most, I’d prefer him not to go to Newcastle, however realistically is it really going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things? Newcastle will become successful, even if they go down, they will come back up as the richest club in the world. Money talks and they’ve got stacks of it. Not selling (or loaning) Targett to them could slow that success down a little, but ultimately it won’t matter as they’ll buy someone else. 

The most important thing is to make a good profit on Targett, we can reinvest that in the team or put against FFP compliance. Good teams sell good players and buy better ones.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

At that price, I think we may have tried to low-ball them for Hickey.

The next line in the article says they want £11-12.5m, so if we're assuming the tweet is true, we haven't low balled them by much and have a full day of negotiation ahead. If it's all true you'd assume we get it done for £10m by the end of the day

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

In theory. 

The FA are not well known for their competence and willingness to rock the boat.

City were prepared to spend 250m on 2 players in the summer. Spurs just rejected the kane bid

The loopholes are very much still there

• Like 1

If Newcastle are really interested then it’s probably a move Target would welcome. He’ll get first team football for the next 6 months and get paid ridiculous money to do so.  I like Targett but I do think we’ve seen the best of him already and there’s not much scope for improvement. He lacks the pace and Athleticism top full backs have. 

• Like 4

He isn't really going to work in a Steve Gerrard set up. He is on his day a fairly solid full back but lacks the physical pace to keep running up and down the wing. He is a tryer and I have nothing against the guy but I can see him leaving us either today or in the summer. And if we make some money on him its happy days.

When people come up with reasons why we shouldn't let Targett go to Newcastle do they not think the club have thought of these reasons? They're not stupid if it happens there will be a plan, or a very good reason for it.

Brining in Hickey would make sense to me because  he can also cover for Cash, we've got Chambers, but think the plan is more to use him as central defender cover, and maybe to come on as DM to try and help us close out games, not sure he would be much use as a right-back in Gerrard's system, he's not bad on the ball at all, but I can't imagine him flying down the wing almost as a winger would.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He isn't really going to work in a Steve Gerrard set up. He is on his day a fairly solid full back but lacks the physical pace to keep running up and down the wing. He is a tryer and I have nothing against the guy but I can see him leaving us either today or in the summer. And if we make some money on him its happy days.

i think this would be the general concensus if it was brighton or someone who was linked with him

A loan isn't so bad as they lose they're first choice left back when they play us. But I agree a sale for upwards of 20 million should be the aim

Targett was excellent for us last season but hasn't kicked on this season for whatever reason. If we can get in Hickey in as a replacement, I think it would be a great piece of business. 

I agree with a previous post that maybe he enjoyed playing in the empty stadiums as apposed to a crowd. Bearing that in mind, why does he want to go up to SJP. Their fans are awful when things not go right for them. Goes with my best wishes though. Been a good servant for the club.

Â