Matt Targett

villan-scott

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I don’t think  he was any worse tonight than VT current fav poster boy Matty Cash TbF.  devoid of confidence and will no doubt lose his first team place to Digne instantly. 

Cash just edges him with his athleticism. Both cant cross particularly well. They both seem to play 'percentage crosses' which are invariably headed away, rather than being able to pick anyone out. Youd imagine that if we are to push on that Cash might be replaced at some point.

Cash needs a spell on the bench to wake him up a bit.

As for Matt, I have been a big supporter of his over his time here, stuck up for him at the start of the season and I thought he would recapture his early form but he just isn’t defendable (lol) anymore.

Watching him tonight just compounded that he panics whenever he gets the ball, he panics when people take him on, he’s too easily dispossessed, breaks down most of our attacks and is too easily out manoeuvred. He’s too kamikaze and seems like he plays with his eyes closed.

I wish he had kicked on with his career as he is a likeable chap but we need to be ruthless if we are to progress. I really hope new signings will be the wake up call he needs to improve his game but I can’t see it. If he proves me wrong then it’s only a good thing for us and him. I hope he makes me eat my words, I want him to do well with us. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

You’ll see Matty Targett at his best when playing behind closed doors. It’s a shame but he really seems to be deflated, and it’s surely not a coincidence that when he was at his best it was in empty stadiums.

i don't see that he was that much better to be honest. trying to remember a goal/assist of note last season. we just didn't really play with attacking full backs but unfortunately that's a major requirement for SG

defensively i think he's fine. like a solid 7/10 LB. problem is he's about a 2/10 going forward (being generous)

neil taylor was absolutely lambasted on here even though defensively he was OK. at the moment, is targett much better? there are definite similarities...players are so reluctant to pass to him in the opposition 3rd, which is the same as when taylor was here.

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i don't see that he was that much better to be honest. trying to remember a goal/assist of note last season. we just didn't really play with attacking full backs but unfortunately that's a major requirement for SG

defensively i think he's fine. like a solid 7/10 LB. problem is he's about a 2/10 going forward (being generous)

neil taylor was absolutely lambasted on here even though defensively he was OK. at the moment, is targett much better? there are definite similarities...players are so reluctant to pass to him in the opposition 3rd, which is the same as when taylor was here.

Targett being crap in the final third is a myth though. There was a period where he had the best output for key passes etc. for a fullback in the league.

He just seems to have lost it again - as many have said when he loses his confidence it’s as if he loses it all. When it’s bad it’s bad.

1 minute ago, Nicho said:

Had a couple of chances to deliver 1st time and didnt, killing the attacking chance instantly. 

Hes at his maximum level. 

Yep - I’ve said for ages Targett as hit his ceiling - a handy squad player but not starting for where we want to be moving forward 

For the bottom half of the table he is an acceptable starter who will give you maybe 6.5 to 7/10 performances on average. That's not good enough for a team in the top half. He will be a good squad option but in the first instance he just needs someone better than him to challenge for his spot - Ashley Young definitely isn't that but Digne could well be. 

6 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

He's probably been the biggest victim of Jack leaving. Where teams would double up, or triple, it would leave space for Targett, both offensively and defensively. He's also got more work to do in Gerrard's system than he did previously.

He was very consistent last year, and did very well. He's not become a bad player overnight. However, like Digne doesn't fit Rafa's system, Targett sadly doesn't seem to fit in our new setup. I'd keep him around as a squad player though.

oh totally agree with this, as i think most would. it's important that our gaps between first and 2nd choice in each positions are as small as possible. right now there are too many big gaps around the squad. CB and GK immediately spring to mind.

the difficulty is in keeping targett happy with digne being first choice and no european or cup football to warrant rotation

Just now, tomav84 said:

oh totally agree with this, as i think most would. it's important that our gaps between first and 2nd choice in each positions are as small as possible. right now there are too many big gaps around the squad. CB and GK immediately spring to mind.

the difficulty is in keeping targett happy with digne being first choice and no european or cup football to warrant rotation

If he doesn't recognize he needs to improve to stay or get into the team then I wouldn't want him, regardless of the level or amount of football on offer. To quote Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations". If he can improve and get back to the levels of last season, but in the new system, that'd be mightily impressive. That's something I'd expect of anyone in the squad too.

• Like 1

I like Targett and find the amount of hammering he's taking on social media at the moment a bit uncomfortable, I know it's easy to pass it off as "only social media" but it's a bit gross that nearly every time we (and pretty much every other team, mind) lose a game there has to be someone singled out for heaps of abuse, especially given how big of a deal the El Ghazi situation became previously. He seems a nice guy whose confidence would really take a hit from this sort of thing.

Saying that, when games like last night happen you can see why Gerrard is looking for reinforcements in that area. Targett's improvements are there to see but he just isn't able to get up and down the line quickly enough. There were several times we broke down the centre-left channel and Targett was 10-15 yards behind the play when you'd expect a modern-day full back to be flying down the line providing the overlap, it killed more than one dangerous attack and showed up how necessary it is to be able to do so in this system.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I like Targett and find the amount of hammering he's taking on social media at the moment a bit uncomfortable, I know it's easy to pass it off as "only social media" but it's a bit gross that nearly every time we (and pretty much every other team, mind) lose a game there has to be someone singled out for heaps of abuse, especially given how big of a deal the El Ghazi situation became previously. He seems a nice guy whose confidence would really take a hit from this sort of thing.

Saying that, when games like last night happen you can see why Gerrard is looking for reinforcements in that area. Targett's improvements are there to see but he just isn't able to get up and down the line quickly enough. There were several times we broke down the centre-left channel and Targett was 10-15 yards behind the play when you'd expect a modern-day full back to be flying down the line providing the overlap, it killed more than one dangerous attack and showed up how necessary it is to be able to do so in this system.

Football fans are shit.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

Football fans are shit.

He looked liked he lacked confidence so let's all completely destroy him. Nice work 👍

How would everyone perform in their job if their gaffer was interviewing in the next room for their replacement? 

We all agree he needs competition so that  he doesn't have to play through indifferent or poor patches, he can rest up and train harder to improve.

21 hours ago, turvontour said:

Cash just edges him with his athleticism. Both cant cross particularly well. They both seem to play 'percentage crosses' which are invariably headed away, rather than being able to pick anyone out. Youd imagine that if we are to push on that Cash might be replaced at some point.

Hopefully by Hayden.

Â