Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, hippo said:

These female commentators really are hopeless the one I was listening too describing the goal 

"He takes a good first touch" !

I like target more than most. His form nosedived without Jack in front of him. But now the midfield is functioning again his form has picked up again.

The one who did this match was just shocking! Quota hitting at it's finest.

• Like 3

Think he literally just needed a rest. He's clearly a good player with ability. Madness to suggest he was made to look amazing because he was playing behind Grealish or he's not actually good or he can't attack or can't defend. 

He seems to get so many different criticisms leveled at him, which I find tends to point to the fact that a player is out of form or fitness and people aren't sure what's wrong so everyone's just plucking different reasons out the air. 

I think we'll be after another left back but I think it's his shirt to lose and I don't think he'll lose it easily. 

This thread has gone a bit mad.

I wonder if we don’t actually need to ‘upgrade’ Targett but just use him differently? I see a lot of people still thinking that LB is our weak link. I think it is in terms of depth, but Targett has, to my mind, proved himself a very able LB. Our best since… maybe Bouma!? 
So far Gerrard seems to be getting a lot out of him so long may it continue. 

• Like 2

Just no way he is our starting lb next season. 

His defending is so last ditch and panicky. 

His lack of pace is very telling. 

Would be fine as a squad man but we really need to upgrade. 

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Just no way he is our starting lb next season. 

His defending is so last ditch and panicky. 

His lack of pace is very telling. 

Would be fine as a squad man but we really need to upgrade. 

We need other fullback options point blank, that position requires alot of energy under Gerrard 

Haha everyone calls him Tigs.

I really like Targett. I saw a bit of the Arsenal performance at the weekend though, and that Nuno Tavares (when he's not tongue kissing his dog and filming it) looks very good. He looked an absolute powerhouse, and can also beat a man using skill as well as his pace. If we had someone like that, I can't help but think it would add another dimension to our play. Tbf at RB Cash has the power and pace, just not the skill and has average technique.

Tavares had a Djimi Traore moment the week before though so maybe someone without an error like that in him.

Edited by Tom13

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't look like it watching it. 

I will have to rewatch the game. 

Yeah he’s trying to head it, which is why he’s in Emi’s line of sight. Ironically if he had just got out of the way Emi would probably have had a better sight of it. But it was properly placed in the corner so a keeper would do well to get there even with full sight of it.

Not Targett’s fault or Emi’s, the chance probably should’ve been snuffed out higher up the pitch. All easy to say in hindsight though, and that’s why football coaching is difficult! 

10 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah he’s trying to head it, which is why he’s in Emi’s line of sight. Ironically if he had just got out of the way Emi would probably have had a better sight of it. But it was properly placed in the corner so a keeper would do well to get there even with full sight of it.

Not Targett’s fault or Emi’s, the chance probably should’ve been snuffed out higher up the pitch. All easy to say in hindsight though, and that’s why football coaching is difficult! 

Bailey's attempt at a block is pretty pathetic to be fair! I'm not jumping on his back, but it wasn't great.

13 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Bailey's attempt at a block is pretty pathetic to be fair! I'm not jumping on his back, but it wasn't great.

Yeah it wasn’t.

If you look at the better teams, they defend (and usually foul) higher up the pitch to break up play. I don’t particularly like it, but it works so if you can’t beat them then join them. 

Â