Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

17 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

People will get on Davis' back if he fails to score many goals, which is likely. Wesley has lots of potential as he is Clever, with good technique.

We don't need a 15 goal a season striker, would be nice but it is not required.

We got goals all over the pitch in this team. If Davis can play like he did yesterday for 90 minutes he will bring more to the team even if he scores less goals.

The way Wesley played yesterday we might as well play with 10 men cause he offered nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We don't need a 15 goal a season striker, would be nice but it is not required.

We got goals all over the pitch in this team. If Davis can play like he did yesterday for 90 minutes he will bring more to the team even if he scores less goals.

The way Wesley played yesterday we might as well play with 10 men cause he offered nothing.

I wonder if you would be saying we have goals throughout the side if we had only scored 10 goals this season and had a minus 6 goal difference. Wesley has directly contributed to 33% of the goals we have scored this season. You don't just hand wave that away. 

Che Adams over at Southampton hasn't even scored yet in 7 games and he scored 22 for a trash Birmingham side last season. Che wouldn't be the first Championship striker to bag 20 and struggle to find the net in the Prem. I love Keinan for his effort and work rate but his goal scoring record is a major issue that some of you seem to be glossing over.  Wesley needs compitetion for his starting place but if you're looking for it in a striker who scored 2 in 28 in his last full campaign then you really need to look elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I wonder if you would be saying we have goals throughout the side if we had only scored 10 goals this season and had a minus 6 goal difference. Wesley has directly contributed to 33% of the goals we have scored this season. You don't just hand wave that away. 

Che Adams over at Southampton hasn't even scored yet in 7 games and he scored 22 for a trash Birmingham side last season. Che wouldn't be the first Championship striker to bag 20 and struggle to find the net in the Prem. I love Keinan for his effort and work rate but his goal scoring record is a major issue that some of you seem to be glossing over.  Wesley needs compitetion for his starting place but if you're looking for it in a striker who scored 2 in 28 in his last full campaign then you really need to look elsewhere. 

So you think Davis would have 0 goals if he started these first 10 games?

Edited by villalad21

In 6 Premier League appearances so far he's managed a grand total of 80 minutes play time and looked bright in most (if not all) of his cameos.

He has 1 goal in 2 starts in the EFL and looked pretty dominant from what I recall.

Anyone dismissing Davis needs their head rattled.

Give him 90 minutes on Wednesday and then perhaps we can begin a discussion.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AV82 said:

In 6 Premier League appearances so far he's managed a grand total of 80 minutes play time and looked bright in most (if not all) of his cameos.

He has 1 goal in 2 starts in the EFL and looked pretty dominant from what I recall.

I don't remember but i can't recall Davis getting a run of games during Smith's tenure, has he?

Often different players thrives under different coaches.

So far, in my opinion Wesley has played 3 good games and 7 bad games, i don't think Davis will do much worse.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't remember but i can't recall Davis getting a run of games during Smith's tenure, has he?

Correct. He was injured when Smith joined us and then Tammy rightfully made that position his own.

Back on topic: my biggest criticism of Wesley is I just don't think he has a footballing brain. He's so slow to react, hardly moves and rarely busts a gut to get into the box after laying the ball off. Very frustrating.

Pretty sure most of our players if not all, Wesley included has never (or very seldom) played against a team with the quality and pressing that Man City displays.

It wasn't as if our players just watched while the game passed them by, but the gulf in quality was visible.

Big test will be if they learned anything and is able to adjust, because Liverplop will be just as fast and press just as hard and cohesive.

Time on the ball will be next to nothing unless they become quicker in the head and feet.

Wesley is a work in progress and I think the first half of the season will be a frustrating one where whoever is not playing will be seen as the answer. Be it Davis, Kodjia or Wesley.

I think we will see something happening in January in regards to the squad.

• Like 1

So you think Davis would have 0 goals if he started these first 10 games?

He scored a grand total of 2 in the Championship.  The Prem is many times harder than the Championship so yeah just like Che Adams and many other Champ strikers who struggle he could be goal less right now. You have mentioned multiple times how we are in a relegation fight and can't wait on players to come good.  That is literally what we would be doing if benched Wesley and gave Keinan a solid run of games.  

8 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

He scored a grand total of 2 in the Championship.  The Prem is many times harder than the Championship so yeah just like Che Adams and many other Champ strikers who struggle he could be goal less right now. You have mentioned multiple times how we are in a relegation fight and can't wait on players to come good.  That is literally what we would be doing if benched Wesley and gave Keinan a solid run of games.  

It doesn't matter what Wesley has done in the past.

It doesn't matter what Davis has done in the past.

Only thing that matters is how they perform this season. And all i can say is that Davis have been very good in the few minutes he's featured this season.

Also Harry Kane didn't score a lot of goals during his loan spells in the lower divisions.

Edited by villalad21

No, he hasn’t, and one must presume he has good reasons for that.

Fwiw imo we seem to be debating choosing either a player who could score but won’t contribute, or one who will contribute but not score. I’d imagine Deano and his Coaches have debated this conundrum as much as we have.

I reckon Davis will get a chance in the Cup, it’s a pretty easy and sensible change, with his performance then directly affecting Saturday.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It doesn't matter what Wesley has done in the past.

It doesn't matter what Davis has done in the past.

Only thing that matters is how they perform this season. And all i can say is that Davis have been very good in the few minutes he's featured this season.

Also Harry Kane didn't score a lot of goals during his loan spells in the lower divisions.

I'm sorry but that just isn't true. You don't just ignore a players past when considering their future endeavours.  It's not the end all be all but it definitely has to be considered.  Otherwise you end up buying some one hit wonder just because he had a good run of games in one season. When transfer season comes back around everyone on here will be posting a players past endeavours to determine if he is someone to get excited about.  Look, I would like to have a reasoned conversation about our striker situation but statement likes that show me that probably isn't gonna happen.  So I will leave this one at that.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Keinan Davis is becoming a mythical creature now. A story parents tell their children at bedtime to keep their hopes up.

The big bad wolf?

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I'm sorry but that just isn't true. You don't just ignore a players past when considering their future endeavours.  It's not the end all be all but it definitely has to be considered.  Otherwise you end up buying some one hit wonder just because he had a good run of games in one season. When transfer season comes back around everyone on here will be posting a players past endeavours to determine if he is someone to get excited about.  Look, I would like to have a reasoned conversation about our striker situation but statement likes that show me that probably isn't gonna happen.  So I will leave this one at that.  

When you are that young you actually do. He's 21 years of age.

He could have developed a lot since he last featured on a regular basis for all we know.

During the time he didn't score a lot he was still a teenager. You just can't ignore that.

As i've said i'd like to see him start a good run of games.

Edited by villalad21

6 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Your first paragraph is bs. Different people have different body language. To me him looking upset, annoyed, despondent even is the opposite it proves he cares! It may not be the best way to respond, but you don't react like that if you don't care. As for switching off that isn't true in the main. He is always looking for the right position, coming deep offering himself and making runs, he just needs to fully integrate and adapt.

We signed him because he was scouted as someone who works hard and is a team player. He was working hard, Smith said it himself we didn't want to press too high or aggressively as Man city would just pick us apart easier.

The reason we are a team in the bottom half is because WE HAVE TO sign players that need developing, we don't have the financial clout and pull to get the finished article. What we HAVE to do is get behind our players and give the the time and support to improve and reach the standard required.

People will get on Davis' back if he fails to score many goals, which is likely. Wesley has lots of potential as he is Clever, with good technique.

Yeah we were told by Brugge fans that he was moody on the pitch but that's just his character. Benteke was the same. Everyone is different, not every striker is like Tammy Abraham. Even Jack has said as much. It's also exacerbated when he's feeding on scraps against the best team in the world, having to link up with Trezeguet with all due respect to him. It's such a weird thing to gripe about.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AV82 said:

Davis made 28 appearances in 17/18, about 15 of them starts, and he scored a grand total of...2 goals.

I don't think his goals tally is the concern right now.....He is in decent company on that with 4 :

• Haller
  • Maupay
  • Rashford
  • Ings
  • Wood
  • Ashley Barnes

Its his performances that are coming under scrutiny.

I still think he needs to show more aggression, that does not mean fouling everybody and getting yellow cards or walking around whinging.

I also think he needs to work on his aerial ability, he is still young enough to develop that.

....Hopefully it will come.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Davis made 28 appearances in 17/18, about 15 of them starts, and he scored a grand total of...2 goals.

19 years old at the time..

Give the guy a break.

Dont remember any of our strikers hitting double figures that season.

Albert our top scorer i believe.

Â