Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Ironically, I think getting a good striker in, is what would probably see Wes improve.

1. Less pressure to be relied on, I think people get extra frustrated with him, as he is the only "outlet".

2. Gets to observe the pattern of games from the sidelines, will be able to put all his energy into say the last 20, 30 or 40 minutes of games (Seems his conditioning might not be there yet).

3. Gets to learn from another top striker in the squad.

4. Obviously, also the kick up the arse of realising your career is probably on the line.

5. Play him in cup games where he can hopefully also gain some confidence.

6. Get the deep lying mentality out of him. Play as an ACTUAL striker.

Some people also mention a "loan" to a Championship club but say they don't even think he could make it there. Sorry but I think that is a stretch.

Is the Belgian League League 1/2 standard?

If no trees are climbed up after a certain point, a loan to a Championship club just might do him some good.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

A bit of reflection, i wonder if wes would improve with better wingers around him? Yesterday he burnt himself out chasing a ball across the front free when trez and Anwar offered no help. Often finding himself out of position and tired as a result. He barely got into the box and he cant really affect the game outside of it.

I don't see it mate. He has very poor positioning in the box the few times he is there and his sense of anticipation is very poor. I really do not think that even with much improved service he would score the goals we need - i am just staggered at his lack of innate goal scoring ability. At least Kodja would be more alive in the box and make more productive runs and get some shots off; not a fan of his but he is much more natural goalscorer IMO.. Now, I am not for one moment suggesting that Kodja is the overall answer but I honestly cannot see how he would be any worse than Wes at present. 

Edited by eholm
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Need to get an older, experienced striker in for him to learn from for a season or two. I'd be looking at Giroud right now. 

I agree with the principle but we need somebody with pace.....I really feel this team can only work with a pacey striker the way we play and one of the reasons Wes is struggling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's getting knackered doing very little, his intensity and closing down is hardly Paul Dickov levels, it's another reason why he isn't any good, his fitness is poor.

At one point yesterday, he flat out refused to move when we had the ball. Did anyone else see this? It was utterly bizarre. I think everyone thought he was injured and excused him but he was just tired. Entirely embarrassing. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, eholm said:

I don't see it mate. He has very poor positioning in the box the few times he is there and his sense of anticipation is very poor. I really do not think that even with much improved service he would score the goals we need - i am just staggered at his lack of innate goal scoring ability. At least Kodja would be more alive in the box and make more productive runs and get some shots off; not a fan of his but he is much more natural goalscorer IMO.. Now, I am not for one moment suggesting that Kodja is the overall answer but I honestly cannot see how he would be any worse than Wes at present. 

I agree 100%.The only problem is that DS refuses to start him.Makes you wonder if our NEW striker is going to replace Wesley on the field or Kodja on the bench.TBH I wouldent be suprised if we get a striker and Wesley still starts every game.

• Like 1

1-2 years away from being in his mid twenties.

It's time to stop calling him a young player. He ain't a kid, he's a fully grown man. Supposed to be close to his prime by now.

Greenwood is 10 times better than him and he just turned 18.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

As he appears to be our only viable option in this position a lot of fans have decided to do the best thing possible....

Support  him

Yes, come on everyone, positive comments only! What do you think this is a discussion forum?

Go Wes, you can do it! Yah!!

• Haha 1

Just now, KAZZAM said:

Why did we buy someone with such a lack of football ability? Thats what we gets me the most ,all the best teams have good technical players and we get this lump.

That lump works hard closing down opposition defenders thank you very much.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Why did we buy someone with such a lack of football ability? Thats what we gets me the most ,all the best teams have good technical players and we get this lump.

But but.. He is occupying defenders. Haven't' you heard?

14 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

It MUST be some sort of record.19 games and 4 goals,and still starting every match.

He might even reach double figures by May at this rate.You have to admire DS for giving him a chance ?!

Every week I big Wes up and say he is going to score in the hope that his luck will change. I think it’s time for a different approach.

He won’t score in a month of Sunday’s. Clearly not a PL player. Waste of cash etc etc (I don’t really mean any of those things Wes).

Now that should have secured his first hat trick in a Villa shirt

34 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

It MUST be some sort of record.19 games and 4 goals,and still starting every match.

He might even reach double figures by May at this rate.You have to admire DS for giving him a chance ?!

I’d imagine the last few games might be some sort of record for a CF when you register zero attempts and zero assists from a bunch of games? Anyway, it’s gotten to the point where we’ll have to go crazy in the stands when it looks like he’s having a go for goal. 

9 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Just watching Maupay for Brighton - twice received the ball about 30yards out and found room for a shot - just can’t imagine Wesley doing that at all, he would just turn and play the ball back. 

#notaCF

I refuse to watch anymore Brighton games.

Too painful for me to watch Maupay. Jesus Christ how Smith and the board f***** up.

He's been found chatting up a 16-year old girl on instagram. Can't find a link, but it isn't hard to find on twitter. Must have gotten a taste for it after we destroyed Liverpool's youngsters.

Edited by guyavfc

Â