Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"Oi! Wes!"

"Sim, Conor? " 

"Oi've just seen the boss, and he said 'Would yez ever be after having a word with yer man Wesley about goalscoring'?" 

"Sim - é muito difícil, não?" 

"Nah, pal, nothin' to it. See, what Oi do is this: Oi gets into that box, Oi gets the ball at me feet, and - here's the trick - Oi wellies it as hard as ever Oi can, in the general direction of the auld onion bag". 

"Saco de cebola?"

"That's the badger. He says you're to try it out against Watford". 

"Uau. Agora eu estou confuso..." 

Worst attempt at a written cork accent ever 

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Same here. I think he’s a scapegoat on Villatalk but at the ground El Ghazi and Luiz get it the worst. El Ghazi because he doesn’t track. Luiz because he is a bit erratic. 

The abuse Luiz gets is moronic. There's a certain type of fan who needs the player to look like he's diving for cover from a hand grenade constantly. Luiz actually puts in a massive amount of good work, but he has quite a composed, controlled style and doesn't show a lot of visible "passion".

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He really doesn't like playing Kodjia is the most reasonable guess. At this point I'm starting to think that they may have had issues with each other behind closed doors or something.

I think even those of us who want Kodjia to play more often (because his natural style is more suited to the lone striker position) are sympathetic to Dean Smith's concerns about him. A bit too much has been read into 2 goals scored against a GCSE work experience scratch 11.

Doubt there is any serious beef between them, but Smith is probably just a bit tired of Kodjia playing with his head down and fluffing most of his passes. At least Wesley shows some awareness of the players around him, and that's more in keeping with Smith's philosophy.

The answer is surely for us to sign another striker, and hope Wesley finds form in cup games or off the bench.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

The final 10 minutes was taylor made for Kodjia. Them throwing caution to the wind, us waiting for it to breakdown so we could spring forward with a counter.  I was amazed he wasn't brought on. Amazed. 

I thought he would come on when Jota did. Guess Smith just doesn’t rate him. Imagine he will be on his bike if we bring someone in in Jan.

I also don’t think he will make it in the PL but I’d like to see him leave on good terms - one of the few bright spots a couple of years ago!

Can't believe some of these reviews, admire the positivity. Yes he was good for Wes.

Man alive, wait until we get a forward that can play a bit.

Dunno what the hell we're gonna do with him after this season. Obviously not a PL player and not good enough for a team (hopefully) at the top of the championship.

I expect it'll a be a loan somewhere in the hope he can bag in a weaker league.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

But we all saw the game and we barely attacked Norwich.  Our attacking play from back to front didn’t exist today....no wonder most of those stats are that for Wes.  Yes he should do better but the team also must do better giving him something.

But - and I know we're going round in circles - a large part of the reason people can't 'give him something' is that he's so frequently in completely the wrong position to receive passes. His lack of anticipation is baffling, more so because he did show it in some games earlier in the season. But he isn't going to score many goals if he doesn't ever touch the ball in the box. People have called him 'lazy', and I don't think that's right at all, but as I said in the match thread, hard work is no virtue if it's spent trying to do the wrong things. He needs to spend as much time and effort getting into the box when we have the ball as he does harrassing defenders when we don't.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

But - and I know we're going round in circles - a large part of the reason people can't 'give him something' is that he's so frequently in completely the wrong position to receive passes. His lack of anticipation is baffling, more so because he did show it in some games earlier in the season. But he isn't going to score many goals if he doesn't ever touch the ball in the box. People have called him 'lazy', and I don't think that's right at all, but as I said in the match thread, hard work is no virtue if it's spent trying to do the wrong things. He needs to spend as much time and effort getting into the box when we have the ball as he does harrassing defenders when we don't.

Going by the crossing last night it wouldn't matter who we had as our striker they would never touch the ball. I don't think I'm exaggerating but I reckon I saw at least 10 crosses that either didn't clear the first man or cleared everyone completely. 

In saying that and even though I've been in Wes's corner it is starting to worry how often he is out of position, but it is in no way because he's lazy....

I look at him and the way he plays, and I swear he needs a 2nd striker to play along side him.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Wesley was  absolutely knackered last 10 mins i was amazed he was not sub amazed! He ran around today and put in a decent shift, however some of the runs he makes are into dead areas.   

In fairness to him our crosses were going into dead areas too, but I get what you mean.

I really do not understand the positive reviews of Wes’ performances. He is a very poor striker. End of. If we were watching him play for another PL team we would be slating him and laughing at that club for paying over £20M for him. 

Some say he ‘works hard’ and ‘puts a shift in’ and praise him for it!! Big bloody deal!! Come in guys...let’s take those C and B tinted glasses off. He makes zero runs fine the channels, hardly wins a header, below average hold up play, shockingly poor movement, does not shoot, hardly runs into the box and had virtually zero goalscoring instincts for someone who is supposed to be our main threat. 

Im sorry, he is very poor and we desperately need to replace him. Service may be poor but any decent striker out there would engineer at least some situations for themselves with good movement and natural ability. Wes has virtually none of this. 

We have zero CF threat and it will take us down if he is not replaced. All of this IMO, of course. 

Edited by eholm
  • Like 2

Appreciate your thoughts mate. I still think we are setting the bar way too low here. He is praised for running around....jeez, well done Wes!! Last 15 he was deeper than our CMs....if he was knackered just bloody stay up top and occupy their CBs. 

We have bought a dud and I do not believe any amount of time will improve him. Not good enough for the PL at all. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Top 5 players committing fouls in the premier league:

1) Wesley 39

2) Luka Milivojevic 33

3) Ashley Barnes 32

4) Moussa Sissoko 31

5) Granit Xhaka 31

It's a bit silly as he is given nothing and they're all 50 50s

38 minutes ago, eholm said:

Appreciate your thoughts mate. I still think we are setting the bar way too low here. He is praised for running around....jeez, well done Wes!! Last 15 he was deeper than our CMs....if he was knackered just bloody stay up top and occupy their CBs. 

We have bought a dud and I do not believe any amount of time will improve him. Not good enough for the PL at all. 

Exactly. The bar for Wesley by some fans in laughable.

Making some successful passes and running around and suddenly he played well. 0 shots yesterday as per usual, didn't make runs behind the defense, not in the box during crosses. Spent more time in midfield than striker areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit of reflection, i wonder if wes would improve with better wingers around him? Yesterday he burnt himself out chasing a ball across the front free when trez and Anwar offered no help. Often finding himself out of position and tired as a result. He barely got into the box and he cant really affect the game outside of it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

The final 10 minutes was taylor made for Kodjia. Them throwing caution to the wind, us waiting for it to breakdown so we could spring forward with a counter.  I was amazed he wasn't brought on. Amazed. 

Taylor didn't play mate. 

Â