Stephen Yaxley-Lennon

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think your defending the small minority of vandal protesters too much there and not holding them accountable for giving them a excuse to those thugs coming to start trouble.

Clearly if they  wanted to just start trouble without being antagonised they would have turned up last week. There is enough of them more than the "alleged" 20 😉

Dem, can you let me in on the secret of reading invisible text on the internet? And whatever you saw typed in invisible text wasn't typed by me!

I really do wonder what it is that you think you've read

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s a fair point but if the law stands and watches does it not increase the likelihood of people who are not happy about the statues being pulled down taking the law in to  their own hands?

If the Police enforced every law all the time we’d all be convicted criminals including the Police themselves. Policing is primarily protecting society and sometimes that means standing by.  If the Police has waded into the crown it could have become a riot. In riots people get seriously hurt. That includes Police, Rioters and innocent bystanders. No statue is worth that.  

But the matter has been reported as a crime so the a Police will investigate.  If the culprits are identified they will be arrested and probably go to court. 

What you are saying is that Rosa Parkes should have been dragged off the bus and thrown in jail to stop people who want racial segregation from taking the law into their own hands and throwing her off the bus.  At the time it happened many would consider that to be a perfectly reasonable standpoint.  She broke the law. But history views the matter differently. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s how you reach the mental frame where anyone objecting to wanton vandalism or destruction of historical monuments can be called Fascists. 

I think you accidentally made this up.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

If the Police enforced every law all the time we’d all be convicted criminals including the Police themselves. Policing is primarily protecting society and sometimes that means standing by.  If the Police has waded into the crown it could have become a riot. In riots people get seriously hurt. That includes Police, Rioters and innocent bystanders. No statue is worth that.  

But the matter has been reported as a crime so the a Police will investigate.  If the culprits are identified they will be arrested and probably go to court. 

What you are saying is that Rosa Parkes should have been dragged off the bus and thrown in jail to stop people who want racial segregation from taking the law into their own hands and throwing her off the bus.  At the time it happened many would consider that to be a perfectly reasonable standpoint.  She broke the law. But history views the matter differently. 

Nicely put. 👍🏼  

For the record. The highlighted part will do for me.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Yes, but it’s easy to understand. People who formerly thought themselves to be centrist or centre-left cantered off merrily to the far-left in pursuit of Corbynism. From that position the centre-right now looks like the right, and the right looks like the far-right.

That’s how you reach the mental frame where anyone objecting to wanton vandalism or destruction of historical monuments can be called Fascists. 

It’s how you go from slave-traders to Baden-Powell via Gladstone in 48 hours without missing a beat, or even realising how far-left fringe you’ve become. 

Then you can hypothesise about other posters being on a political journey to the dark-side without a hint of irony or self-awareness. 

It’s hilarious. 

It seems you have invented a character in your head to have a rant about there. I believe that is called a ‘straw man’ argument.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Dem, can you let me in on the secret of reading invisible text on the internet? And whatever you saw typed in invisible text wasn't typed by me!

I really do wonder what it is that you think you've read

Lets agree to disagree  😁

FYIW (and completely off topic I know) the people who liked and supported Corbyn were outnumbered vastly on this site. It's all just total twaddle to justify the 'racism is bad but' arguments and 'my mate said' shite that has been ongoing over the last day.

Total distraction.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I normally hate references to 1984 and Orwell but there's gotta be one of those snazzy words in there that encapsulates using the term LeftWaffe to denote opposition to literal **** fascists.

If you’re a fan of the great man’s book then here’s one for you: 

‘Every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered.Books rewritten. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.' 

Can probably be seen on quite a few shaving mirrors in the morning if you look hard enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

There’s people seemingly advocating a load of Tommy Robinson EDL types turning up to cause trouble at protests under the pretence of protecting statues. 

Do us a favour, please quote the post where anyone in this thread has advocated Tommy Robinson and his mates turning up anywhere and doing anything? I’ve seen plenty of people calling him a fascist but no one suggesting what you’ve just written. 

Edited by Awol

1 minute ago, Awol said:

If you’re a fan of the great man’s book then here’s one for you: 

‘Every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered.Books rewritten. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.' 

Can probably be seen on quite a few shaving mirrors in the morning if you look hard enough.

And this is why I don't like Orwell quotes; they're almost always misapplied. 

Statues aren't history, we've already established this. Funnily enough though, the tearing down of the statue of the good philanthropist did more to teach people about history than the entire 200 years of it just standing there.

Question to you though, do you not consider Robinson to be a fascist?

8 hours ago, Awol said:

I know a few veterans who are going (completely separate from football people) to stop the war memorials being vandalised again, on the basis that the police won’t. If they are physically attacked then yes, of course they’ll defend themselves. 

Robinson and his neo-fascist brothers are definitely going for a fight.

I think the police will decide to do some actual policing this weekend because the alternative will be very ugly.

Seemingly the only person that has actually called Yaxley-Lennon a Fascist in this topic is....

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

And this is why I don't like Orwell quotes; they're almost always misapplied. 

Statues aren't history, we've already established this. Funnily enough though, the tearing down of the statue of the good philanthropist did more to teach people about history than the entire 200 years of it just standing there.

Question to you though, do you not consider Robinson to be a fascist?

No, I consider him to be a neo-fascist. That why I called him one in this thread today. He should probably be in prison, and by Monday he probably will be. Hooray for that. 

Edit: and statues are part of the cultural milieu that constitutes our history, for good or ill. 

Edited by Awol

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

Do us a favour, please quote the post where anyone in this thread has advocated Tommy Robinson and his mates turning up anywhere and doing anything? I’ve seen plenty of people calling him a fascist but no one suggesting what you’ve just written. 

Yeah sorry that’s me reading between the lines a bit although the implication of some of what’s been written here isn’t far from that.

When someone suggests that there’ll be 20 EDL types there we get the almost gleeful “oh there’ll be more than that” type posts never mind the 35k (including black lads) comment as if the fact that there being black people involved lends the whole EDL movement some credence as opposed to the racist rubbish that it is.

When we get reports that Tommy Robinson is mobilising the troops to fight whatever their latest grievance is the response should be to condemn him and his attempts to fan the flames of the current unrest .

Some on here seem to be more keen to point fingers at those taking down statues as if they deserve what is coming to them for daring to speak out about years of systemic suffering and sadly more prevalently now outright abuse. 

But historian David Olusoga, interviewed on the BBC after Colston’s memorial was sent tumbling into Bristol harbour, said: “Statues aren’t the mechanism by which we understand history. We learn history through museums, through books, through television programmes. Statues are about adoration, about saying that this man was a great man and he did great things."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-statues-removed-down-colston-rhodes-baden-powell-racism-a9560736.html

• Like 4

Â