The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's also worth pointing out that the backlash would work the other way.

If a woman was interviewing Olivier Giroud about a game and started telling him how nice his eyes were we'd all be up in arms about how unprofessional it was.

This is exactly what I wanted to write about it. It's **** bizarre. It's an interview of a pro sportswoman.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's also worth pointing out that the backlash would work the other way.

If that happened they would make an Oppenheimer atomic strike reference. 

9 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If that happened they would make an Oppenheimer atomic strike reference. 

"Wanna play Oppenheimer? I'll lie down and you blow the shit out of me"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a 'Love Island' prick, no?

Was he the erudite one, or something?

Otherwise it seems like a fairly labelled tin of hormones and vanity was entirely the wrong choice for the production?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It's looking like Birmingham will become the primary BBC training hub.

The BBC academy is already in the West Mids, outside Evesham.

Wonder whether that'll be going in favour of a more central location?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's looking like Birmingham will become the primary BBC training hub.

The BBC academy is already in the West Mids, outside Evesham.

Wonder whether that'll be going in favour of a more central location?

Training for what? 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Training for what? 

Audio and video production and broadcast. 

All those names you see on the credits, minus actors, writers, makeup and wardrobe perhaps? Don't know about them. Add the staff that support IT, infrastructure, distribution, transcoding, radio, satellite, outside broadcast and maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it fair to say, my infatuation with LauraK has somewhat diminished over the last few years. This article spells out why:

Laura Kuenssberg’s Time as BBC Political Editor has been a Catastrophic, Systemic Failure

Thanks to managers at the BBC, the outgoing Kuenssberg repeated lies rather than challenging them, says former BBC journalist Patrick Howse

Laura Kuenssberg’s tenure as the BBC’s political editor, beginning in July 2015 and ending in the coming weeks, was a catastrophe.

On her watch, lies were not just permitted, they were amplified and given credibility by Britain’s state broadcaster. At least partly as a result of this, the UK Government now routinely lies with impunity. The country’s international standing has been irreparably harmed, and trust in the political system has been trashed.

I don’t hold Kuenssberg entirely responsible for this state of affairs – I think that BBC managers carry a large amount of the blame because they chose the wrong person, for the wrong job. 

I saw Kuenssberg in action close up when I worked for the BBC in Westminster for a year either side of the 2010 General Election. She was confident, ambitious, and good at her particular job – which at that time was to supply live commentary for the news channel about every development in the Westminster bubble, every day.

She did so fluently and energetically. She loved being on air, she loved being the first to get a story, and she could be trusted to ‘wing it’. In other words, she was a good continuous news reporter, always available to fill airtime. 

After a spell at ITV, Kuenssberg was chosen to be the BBC’s political editor, replacing Nick Robinson in the summer of 2015. She was picked because of the qualities that I have outlined above. Unfortunately, these were not the qualities the BBC should have been looking for to fill that post at that time.

:snip:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the bit about her being "a disgrace"

I don't agree with his defense of her because she was just doing what her bosses wanted.

I thought 'I was just doing what I was told' stopped being a meaningful defense at Nuremberg.

She knew what she was doing all along imho

56 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I thought 'I was just doing what I was told' stopped being a meaningful defense at Nuremberg.

False equivalence, she's committed no crime and isn't on any kind of a formal trial

57 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

She knew what she was doing all along imho

Yes absolutely but I rather suspect it was what she was told to do, they aren't mutually exclusive positions

1 hour ago, bickster said:

False equivalence, she's committed no crime and isn't on any kind of a formal trial

Yes absolutely but I rather suspect it was what she was told to do, they aren't mutually exclusive positions

I accept he's saying she shouldn't shoulder ALL the blame (for her actions). But then another way of making the same point is to say she isn't the only one to blame we should also blame the higher ups in BBC news and perhaps further up. The article is basically suggesting the news output of the Beeb was being dictated by the PR machine at No10. (of course my posting history in this thread would suggest I firmly believe that's modus operandi).

As for the false equivalence though, If I was equivocating her actions with theirs I'd agree with the first bit - it would be apples and oranges - but as I'm clearly talking about the defense of 'She was doing what she was told' and was comparing it to the defense of 'I was doing what I was told', I disagree.

As a defense it hasn't held any water since that rather extreme example. Godwin's Law may well apply, but I thought the neo-cons had rendered it obsolete :)

On 18/10/2022 at 18:36, ml1dch said:

I think it was Marr in the New Statesman (after he'd left the BBC, obvs) who nailed what the problem with Kuenssberg was.

She was just the wrong hire - she'd done a good job as a correspondent, and would get a lot of good quotes and scoops for the BBC. 

But then just did exactly the same thing as Political Editor, not realising that her job had changed from "get quote from Government lackey and report it" to "analyse and contextualise quote from Government lackey to help the viewer understand what was actually going on".

And it didn't take long for the more mendacious parts of the Tory operation to realise that as long as they kept her in intel and quotes, she probably wouldn't give them any problems. 

Edit - for example, had she been in the job 15 years earlier she wouldn't have been tearing Blair apart at the behest of her Tory paymasters, she'd had have been  happily typing up everything that Campbell had whispered in her ear and calling it a job well done.

Byline Times catching up with last year's analysis...

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

There are two events, one either end of Wales

In Cardiff ‘hundreds’ attend a protest against the new 20mph speed limit.

In Bangor, an independence march attended by an estimated 10,000

The ‘anti 20mph protest also included protest against cashless society, travel lockdowns, 15 minute cities, digital I.D., and charging per mile for travel.

spacer.png

I mean, wut???

At the time that photo above was taken I was having a flat white and a pastry literally 30 / 40 metres away - I absolutely did not know that protest was happening.

Which one does BBC report on? Yeah of course the anti welsh government loons.

It’s really becoming irresponsible the stuff the BBC will give publicity to. I want there to be a BBC, and I get that they can’t report on 10,000 indie marchers in Bangor, 8,000 in Swansea, 25,000 in Edinburgh completely understand their remit is to be against that, the clue is in the title. But I suspect many in charge at the BBC are happy to see it trashed promoting weird alt right rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh dear, Laura couldn't make it into the studio this morning, so we get my old mate Vic…

Can Laura be ill every week

Vic's making an absolute mess of Grant Shapps here in a way Laura K never would.

I would expect Laura’s ability to do the job of a journalist and not just facilitate the party in power will greatly improve at some point in the next 18 months.

Â