The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

9 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

A majority of this country are conservative supporters and have been for the last 50 years.They are going to have to reflect that.

Really? 🤣

As others have noted, the tories have never in recent history achieved 50% of the vote.  Factor in the none voters, and the proportion of the population voting tory is signicantly less again. You'd be looking at about 30% or less of the population voting for them. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bickster said:

First of all, no this country does not have a majority of Conservative voters, not once in anyone’s lifetime have they got more than 50% of the votes. Secondly, even if the country did have that, the whole point of the BBC is to be unbiased, not biased to what way they think the country votes.Thats just a ridiculous notion.

Conservative with a small c.I wasn’t talking necessarily about what party people vote for in a particular election.Many people who voted for Blair probably voted for Cameron.They favour middle of the road,retain the status quo.The BBC cannot be seen to be too far away from that position.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

You had 70 million people to choose from to not be establishment, and you went for Hanif Kureishi, Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire?

So other figures you can lambast must Bernardino Evaristo,Jeanette Winterson Mark Rylance etc very much establishment figures.

I must admit whenever I hear of some writer or musician accepting those honours a small part of me dies.

1 hour ago, Only2McInallys said:

So other figures you can lambast must Bernardino Evaristo,Jeanette Winterson Mark Rylance etc very much establishment figures.

I must admit whenever I hear of some writer or musician accepting those honours a small part of me dies.

Woah, I haven’t lambasted him! I said I enjoyed his work.

Just thought it worth pointing out your choice of someone that wasn’t establishment approved was a Commander of the British Empire.

My lad is 13 and as an insult they’ll call people a Tory.

They also use the term in football a “Brexit tackle” where something is just a badly timed lunge which gets nowhere the ball.

The current Conservatives certainly have influenced the youth of today.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, meregreen said:

Is it? I was simply highlighting a genuinely biased TV outlet as opposed to the BBC. I could just as easily chosen a State owned Broadcaster from another country. Poland, Hungary, Russia and many others are examples of many that lost, or never had, a claim to be truly impartial from Government influence. Look. I get the BBC ain’t perfect, but to read some on here, they are being overly critical in my view.There’s a reason the Tories hate the BBC, they can’t control its output to the extent they would like, long may it remain so.

You’re missing the point somewhat. There are state broadcasters and public broadcasters, public broadcasters are free from political interference. Russia, Hungary and Poland don't have any public broadcasters that I’m aware of.

Lots of countries do though. France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Ireland…

The problem is that the BBC news output is veering towards state and away from public. You only have to look at say how Question Time audiences were rigged in the run up to Brexit, the political appointments to the BBC board etc, the ludicrously biased Laura K to see this.

The Tories don't like it because they are programmed not to because of what it is. Nationalised, not for profit, funded by licence payers etc. You rarely see them complain about its content these days and when you do it’s generally Tory mentalist logic and not based in reality.

20 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Conservative with a small c.I wasn’t talking necessarily about what party people vote for in a particular election.Many people who voted for Blair probably voted for Cameron.They favour middle of the road,retain the status quo.The BBC cannot be seen to be too far away from that position.

The BBC shouldn't have “a position”, that isn’t it's role.

15 hours ago, bickster said:

You only have to look at say how Question Time audiences were rigged in the run up to Brexit,

That’s a red herring, in terms of government bias. The government was “remain”. The BBC as you say gave undue prominence to Leave, but it wasn’t a pro government position. It was (arguably) reflective of the actual view nationally in England, despite being the opposite of government view, officially.

It was a massive failure by the BBC to be so incurious about the potential consequences, so unsceptical and free pass in coverage, but it’s no example of pro Tory bias. It’s an example of a lost sense of purpose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s a red herring, in terms of government bias. The government was “remain”. The BBC as you say gave undue prominence to Leave, but it wasn’t a pro government position. It was (arguably) reflective of the actual view nationally in England, despite being the opposite of government view, officially.

It was a massive failure by the BBC to be so incurious about the potential consequences, so unsceptical and free pass in coverage, but it’s no example of pro Tory bias. It’s an example of a lost sense of purpose.

I broadly agree with the sentiment (agree re govt vs Leave) but when you have the Audience Producer openly courting and inviting EDL members to audiences, that isn’t anywhere near representing the general population, the audience could be a couple of thousand and one EDL member in there would be over representative. If one thing came out of that whole fiasco it was that QT now has a more transparent process but around then, they even refused FOI requests on how the audiences were composed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

I broadly agree with the sentiment (agree re govt vs Leave) but when you have the Audience Producer openly courting and inviting EDL members to audiences, that isn’t anywhere near representing the general population, the audience could be a couple of thousand and one EDL member in there would be over representative. If one thing came out of that whole fiasco it was that QT now has a more transparent process but around then, they even refused FOI requests on how the audiences were composed.

Yeah, exactly. Tubes being tubes. It was a major failure. It’s just not an example of pro government bias, or pro Tory bias. It’s an example of media clearings in the woods being clearings in the woods, something that for all its strengths the BBC is prone to.

• Like 1

Could really go in the Tory thread.

Culture secretary on sky news this morning, making a case the BBC is biased against them. When asked where's the evidence, the response was that they're perceived to be biased, that the report they're making doesn't contain any single incident. Please don't let the Tories kill the BBC.

• Haha 2

Ah so the above was the story…

Walked into the living room with Sky News on and Kay Burley is defending the BBC over impartiality and so was the person in the studio…. I was convinced I was in a parrallel universe

Sky News defending the BBC over impartiality and saying the evidence is that there is no evidence

Just really odd to see

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Could really go in the Tory thread.

Culture secretary on sky news this morning, making a case the BBC is biased against them. When asked where's the evidence, the response was that they're perceived to be biased, that the report they're making doesn't contain any single incident. Please don't let the Tories kill the BBC.

I almost felt sorry for her there, almost.

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah so the above was the story…

Walked into the living room with Sky News on and Kay Burley is defending the BBC over impartiality and so was the person in the studio…. I was convinced I was in a parrallel universe

Sky News defending the BBC over impartiality and saying the evidence is that there is no evidence

Just really odd to see

Was she defending them? She seemed to be just pointing out the difference between evidence, perception and a mistake.

As usual, the Tories are not big on details like evidence to support their decision making.

Edited by Genie

She mentioned on R4 this morning that she had ‘noted’ the style and content of BBC’s coverage of her report this morning.

He asked her several times what was wrong with the coverage, if she took issue with anything. By the end he had her saying categorically there was absolutely nothing wrong with any of the coverage in any way.

Unfortunately, this sort of incident, a Tory being called out and made to look amateur is actually exactly what she meant. It’s not accuracy they are after, it’s a softer ride for themselves. Unfortunately for them, their cheek has become lazy and incompetent at the same time as the other cheek has sorted itself out sufficiently not to be constantly undermined.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Genie said:

Was she defending them? She seemed to be just pointing out the difference between evidence, perception and a mistake.

As usual, the Tories are not big on details like evidence to support their decision making.

I think Kay Burley was rightly defending the BBC. The government minister had clearly come on unprepared with no evidence to support the claims the report makes that there is an issue with impartiality at the BBC, looking to confirm a narrative, and simply fell to pieces under when scrutinized.

It's a great interview, as it should undermine any report into BBC impartiality that follows.

Â