The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not exactly, we need a government prepared to hand the BBC it's impartiality back, proper impartiality... I suspect the wait will be some time

agreed ...I hardly think the incoming labour government is going to want to move its propaganda machine back to impartial 

:mrgreen:

• Haha 1

The concern with the BBC being brought pointedly to heel by the Tories would always be that the taboo is broken, the unspoken love is crossed and nobody is going to put the fence back up. Labour aren't going to let the BBC go back to what it was, it will just fill it's ranks with Labour lickspittles as the chance arises.

The same as you never get rights back and laws always, always get exploited far beyond their explicit purposes, once the line is given it's never taken back.

• Like 2

Having watched TV across many different countries, the idea that the BBC is biased on a grand scale, simply doesn’t hold up. Just watch Fox News across the pond, it’s excruciating. We may not like everything reported on the BBC, we may think it can often reflect a bias, but get a grip people. There are countries out there who’s citizens are desperately seeking a news channel that is as good as the BBC. And I speak as someone who detests Laura Kuenssberg.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not exactly, we need a government prepared to hand the BBC it's impartiality back, proper impartiality... I suspect the wait will be some time

Indeed we do, but with the populace irredeemably divided left and right, gammon or woke - impartiality for one side would be seen as partiality by the other.

38 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Having watched TV across many different countries, the idea that the BBC is biased on a grand scale, simply doesn’t hold up. Just watch Fox News across the pond, it’s excruciating. We may not like everything reported on the BBC, we may think it can often reflect a bias, but get a grip people. There are countries out there who’s citizens are desperately seeking a news channel that is as good as the BBC. And I speak as someone who detests Laura Kuenssberg.

100%.

Yes, on occasion they might report something in a slightly sympathetic manner towards the government but in general the news coverage is excellent and trustworthy. The BBC website has properly shown up the governments incompetence many, many times with its headlines too. That conveniently gets forgotten.

It’s just the nature of debate now though that things can’t be great most of the time, if there’s a faint whiff of bias at any moment in time then the whole lot is shit and needs to be burned to the ground.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, meregreen said:

Apples and Pears, comparing the BBC to Fox is ludicrous

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yesterday morning the journalist on radio 4 that used to be the president of the Oxford University Conservative Association and also used to be the president of the Conservative Youth Group was reading headlines from Scottish newspapers.

He read extensively from the Daily Mail, with no comment on what the Daily Mail was. He then referenced The National, and explained at length that we had to understand the National was essentially the mouthpiece for Scottish Independence with strong leanings towards the SNP view of the world.

People that can’t see the bias presume this means there is no bias.

And on another day they have someone else, with historical connections to another party, reading different papers.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

And on another day they have someone else, with historical connections to another party, reading different papers.

Who was this journalist?

Was it Fiona Bruce or was it Laura Kuensberg?

Was it ex Bullingdon club man Dimbleby?

Andrew Neil maybe?

Which anti establishment BBC journalist was explaining the party line of the right wing press or the two party system?

35 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Who was this journalist?

Gary Lineker

edit: that wasn’t really my point though.

They have bits that are pro-government and also have some anti-government.

Ive had many a laugh at their scathing headlines online, and when they open up the public comments to encourage the pile on.

If you take a short snapshot of a Tory backing his pals then of course it’s biased at that moment in time.

Edited by Genie

41 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Who was this journalist?

Was it Fiona Bruce or was it Laura Kuensberg?

Was it ex Bullingdon club man Dimbleby?

Andrew Neil maybe?

Which anti establishment BBC journalist was explaining the party line of the right wing press or the two party system?

I know the Tories always think the BBC is full of lefties and the left think the BBC is establishment but maybe that tells its neither.

The Today programme before Christmas had Hanif Kureishi and Andrew Malkinson(who spent 15 years in prison wrongfully convicted) as guest editors.You might say it’s tokenism.

21 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I know the Tories always think the BBC is full of lefties and the left think the BBC is establishment but maybe that tells its neither.

The Today programme before Christmas had Hanif Kureishi and Andrew Malkinson(who spent 15 years in prison wrongfully convicted) as guest editors.You might say it’s tokenism.

Well I loved the Buddha of Suburbia, but I’m struggling on why you’ve name checked Kureishi in this?

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

Gary Lineker

edit: that wasn’t really my point though.

They have bits that are pro-government and also have some anti-government.

Ive had many a laugh at their scathing headlines online, and when they open up the public comments to encourage the pile on.

If you take a short snapshot of a Tory backing his pals then of course it’s biased at that moment in time.

I’m not sure we’re discussing the same thing. I don’t think the BBC is incapable of criticising the tories.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Well I loved the Buddha of Suburbia, but I’m struggling on why you’ve name checked Kureishi in this?

I just think he would not be a typical establishment apologist and would probably speak freely about what he believes.

I really like the BBC.I don’t agree with all of the views of the political presenters,I can see that people of many different persuasions can see bias but they have to walk a very difficult tightrope.A majority of this country are conservative supporters and have been for the last 50 years.They are going to have to reflect that.

2 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

I just think he would not be a typical establishment apologist and would probably speak freely about what he believes.

I really like the BBC.I don’t agree with all of the views of the political presenters,I can see that people of many different persuasions can see bias but they have to walk a very difficult tightrope.A majority of this country are conservative supporters and have been for the last 50 years.They are going to have to reflect that.

First of all, no this country does not have a majority of Conservative voters, not once in anyone’s lifetime have they got more than 50% of the votes. Secondly, even if the country did have that, the whole point of the BBC is to be unbiased, not biased to what way they think the country votes.Thats just a ridiculous notion.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

You had 70 million people to choose from to not be establishment, and you went for Hanif Kureishi, Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire?

19 hours ago, meregreen said:

Don't know what you mean

image.png.c2b4263875d74148f139ff32a5ca7383.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Apples and Pears, comparing the BBC to Fox is ludicrous

Is it? I was simply highlighting a genuinely biased TV outlet as opposed to the BBC. I could just as easily chosen a State owned Broadcaster from another country. Poland, Hungary, Russia and many others are examples of many that lost, or never had, a claim to be truly impartial from Government influence. Look. I get the BBC ain’t perfect, but to read some on here, they are being overly critical in my view.There’s a reason the Tories hate the BBC, they can’t control its output to the extent they would like, long may it remain so.

8 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

A majority of this country are conservative supporters and have been for the last 50 years.They are going to have to reflect that.

What they should reflect. Is truth to power. God help us if they are simply there to reflect the views of any particular group above others. Incidentally the Tories have never polled above 50%. Labour got close in 1945 with 49.71%. Guess people found their consciences and wanted that war to mean something. Hopefully the British people are about to have another epiphany.

• Like 2

Â