The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

I haven't seen the actual clip but im basing my opinion on what was actually said and i think it sounds to more like he is trying to pick her up with a lame cheesy line than its patronising sexist or offensive. 

Soon we are going to be a country that no one speaks because your scared what to say. 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I haven't seen the actual clip but im basing my opinion on what was actually said and i think it sounds to more like he is trying to pick her up with a lame cheesy line than its patronising sexist or offensive. 

Soon we are going to be a country that no one speaks because your scared what to say. 

I don't know how you think you need to see the clip to not think that's patronising, at best, and sexist at worst.

And why would you think him "trying to pick her up with a lame cheesy line" ISN'T him being patronising?

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know how you think you need to see the clip to not think that's patronising, at best, and sexist at worst.

And why would you think him "trying to pick her up with a lame cheesy line" ISN'T him being patronising?

So using a cheesy line to pick up a woman is now patronising ?

Jesus 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Jesus 

He's not some guy talking to a woman at a bar, where she'd be free to roll her eyes and tell him to **** off. Someone says that at a bar and nobody gives a shit.

But that's not what happened, he's interviewing a professional sportswoman on television.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

He's not some guy talking to a woman at a bar, where she'd be free to roll her eyes and tell him to **** off. Someone says that at a bar and nobody gives a shit.

But that's not what happened, he's interviewing a professional sportswoman on television.

Yeah so its basically more him being unprofessional than patronising or sexist 

This is a no story for me. Didnt need to be made public

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Cringeworthy things go on the internet. That's not a surprise either. Ironically you were the one spreading it around! It's your story. It is public because he did it on the TV.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

It is public. It was on live national TV :D how much more public can you get?

• Like 1

Just now, Rolta said:

Cringeworthy things go on the internet. That's not a surprise either. Ironically you were the one spreading it around! It's your story. 

So what if i posted the story? You can still post something if you think its a non story

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

It is public. It was on live national TV :D how much more public can you get?

The part about the bbc telling him off

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So what if i posted the story? You can still post something if you think its a non story

The part about the bbc telling him off

Looking back at your initial post, BBC bosses described his comment as inappropriate. It is, of course it is. In that context it's obviously an inappropriate thing to say to a professional sportswoman. The interviewer made a mistake. Who cares. 

We'll, it's you who seems to care. It would have no legs if you weren't posting it. If you didn't see the clip originally, but did see the 'story' elsewhere, was it by any chance from a source who doen't like the BBC? Is this in fact a story about not liking the BBC? 

Edited by Rolta

Presumably the BBC received enough complaints that they thought it was easier to make a statement.

Personally I've not got time in my life to make official complaints about something so relatively trivial and I'd leave it to the person involved or their team to raise a complaint if they felt it necessary.

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

In a bar? No

As a sports pundit interviewing a professional athlete? Absolutely

Surely you can see the difference?

I watched it at the time and thought "why would you say that?"

It was very cringeworthy and at worse inappropriate - like.. a thick thing to say, but that guy does seem like a knobhead.

I do think the blow up is somewhat of an overreaction, but again, it's just not something that was appropriate to say.  I at least think he didn't say it to be offensive, but it's very oafish. 

Give him a slap on the hand, go public apology and just get on with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's also worth pointing out that the backlash would work the other way.

If a woman was interviewing Olivier Giroud about a game and started telling him how nice his eyes were we'd all be up in arms about how unprofessional it was.

You'd get things like "If a bloke did that, all the white knights and wokists would be up in arms!" 

And to a degree, that's right :)

For every action, there is a similar strength reaction and all that.

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I watched it at the time and thought "why would you say that?"

It was very cringeworthy and at worse inappropriate - like.. a thick thing to say, but that guy does seem like a knobhead.

I do think the blow up is somewhat of an overreaction, but again, it's just not something that was appropriate to say.  I at least think he didn't say it to be offensive, but it's very oafish. 

Give him a slap on the hand, go public apology and just get on with it. 

I believe things are rarely said to deliberately be offensive. That’s actually quite rare.

But things are said because people are ignorant, you might genuinely think some woman in the office has a great figure, you possibly wouldn’t tell her that on a teams call with ten other people.

It’s not thinking of the potential discomfort or awkwardness that could be caused to the other person, or even just the wider consequence of it once again becomes acceptable for male presenters to comment on physical appearance of female interviewees.

It’s (hopefully) not deliberately offensive, it is potentially offensive to other people and we should be able to understand that before we share our inner monologue.

• Like 3

Â