The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

Has the Marr show ever had an MEP from Tories, Labour, LibDem, Green, SNP or Plaid?

Don't think they ever have.

This morning, they have a fresh new Brexit Party MEP on Marr.

Something happened to the BBC, something fundamental.

It's upper ranks slowly got filled with Tories and one of the most important figures in their political programming is very chummy with the far right (and quite possibly outright supports far right causes).

It's political programming has become a joke.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, peterms said:

Does she share Her mothers opinions? DOes her mother make her do stuff. It's not about who she is, its about the content that comes out the other end surely?

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Does she share Her mothers opinions? DOes her mother make her do stuff. It's not about who she is, its about the content that comes out the other end surely?

I don't know what opinions she holds, but...

I gather that the beeb refused to answer an FoI about whether she is Hodge's daughter.  (She is.  Why so coy?).

I observe that Hodge gets a lot of BBC coverage for her relentless and malevolent campaign against the Labour Party in general, and Corbyn in particular.

I think it's probable that BBC producers can influence coverage, who is interviewed, etc (if he's not trying to affect the game, what's he doing on the pitch?).

I think it likely that Ms Hodge's daughter is able to play a role in influencing Ms Hodge's treatment by the media.  Don't you?

It's difficult. Essentially it's a very poor decision on their part even if they are retaining it for the poorest of pensioners. 

That said I want them to continue putting out their quality broadcasting and I understand that they have financial constraints put on them. 

I would personally forego their Glastonbury coverage and a few large sports events, Lineker, Norton and Steve Wright if that meant that pensioners could have a free TV license. 

My worry is that some threatening letter is going to drop on to the door mat of an 86 year old. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No one mentioned what BBC have said about tv license for over 70s? What does everyone think of that decision then?

That it isn't really a BBC decision. The Government introduced and paid for the subsidy in 1999 and the Cameron Government scrapped it in 2015.

So whether the over-75s should have free TV licenses or not, the time to be angry about them losing the benefit was in 2015 with George Osbourn, not in 2019 with Tony Hall.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

No one mentioned what BBC have said about tv license for over 70s? What does everyone think of that decision then?

Time to scrap the Tv license. BBC should take ads like everyone else.

Personally I don't care about ads anymore as I hardly ever watch terrestrial TV, let alone BBC. I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime which covers almost all our needs. Anything else can easily be acquired elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Time to scrap the Tv license. BBC should take ads like everyone else.

Personally I don't care about ads anymore as I hardly ever watch terrestrial TV, let alone BBC. I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime which covers almost all our needs. Anything else can easily be acquired elsewhere.

I agree. Only thing I watch on BBC is dragons den and motd. 

I could live without both tbh of it savee me £150 a year.  Netflix and Amazon are much better value for money

Most pensioners have more disposable income that your average man on the street. Pensions protected by the triple lock etc

If we can take their tellys away for non payment and it stops them watching the National Farage Channel all the better

Keep the licence fee and just prevent the BBC from reporting any news or current affairs

:trollface:

What I don't understand is that now it's all digital these days you can simply block access to any channel, so why isn't it an option in the modern world to not pay the licence and just have your BBC channels blocked? Like sports/films on sky/virgin etc... if you don't pay for those specific channels you just get the message on screen saying 'this channel is not part of your service'.

Edited by Ingram85

12 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

What I don't understand is that now it's all digital these days you can simply block access to any channel, so why isn't it an option in the modern world to not pay the licence and just have your BBC channels blocked? Like sports/films on sky/virgin etc... if you don't pay for those specific channels you just get the message on screen saying 'this channel is not part of your service'.

Because its not a subscription service, it's our national broadcaster. Without the licence fee it would collapse. Successive governments would cut it's funding to the point of extinction, thats not just TV thats radio too. For what we pay for the BBC and what we can potentially get out of it it represents huge value for money compared to the subscription or paid for by advertising models. Really the BBC just needs to sort it's political bias out

• Like 1

Do you think the public open to discussion about privatisation of the BBC?

Surely, with things like Netflix or Amazon where you only pay a few £ a month and get much wider (and possibly better) service it is at least worth a conversation?

Edited by Mic09

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Most pensioners have more disposable income that your average man on the street. Pensions protected by the triple lock etc

This.

It's a demographic that has done considerably better out of austerity than workers. And they're the demographic keeping the tories in power. **** them and their freebies.

Someone's got to pay for it anyway, I reckon I know one or two people my age with TV licenses.  I suspect it'll have to come under general taxation at some point, because the young are increasingly unlikely to have any interest in live TV.

Â