The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

The idea that "I only do this", "I only use that" on the BBC is completely stupid, it's a national broadcaster not a commercial enterprise, it is there to be something for everyone

It's a bit like saying I'm not paying my council tax becuase I never use the local park so I shouldn't have to pay for that bit of my tax

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's a bit like saying I'm not paying my council tax becuase I never use the local park so I shouldn't have to pay for that bit of my tax

"I don't have kids, why should my taxes be used to pay for schools?"

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Let's not forget it isn't just live TV. Its catchup. It's radio and their website. 

I don't watch BBC, or iplayer, or listen to their radio stations and their website is utterly dreadful. I'd rather have the annual fee back in my bank account please. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Then don't have a licence fee, and watch Netflix and Amazon on your computer, and let the rest of us who don't want adverts interrupting everything to have that. 

I mostly encounter the BBC through listening to Five Live. I'm well aware of what a commercial equivalent of Five Live would sound like; Talksport has been around for years. The difference in quality is not small. 

If I could I would

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

The idea that "I only do this", "I only use that" on the BBC is completely stupid, it's a national broadcaster not a commercial enterprise, it is there to be something for everyone

It's not even close. It's an entertainment service. One I don't use so yeah, if you want it then you pay for it. It's not essential. 

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I don't watch BBC, or iplayer, or listen to their radio stations and their website is utterly dreadful. I'd rather have the annual fee back in my bank account please. 

That's ok, don't have a telly then. it's a tax on your telly ownership but unlike most taxes in the UK the money goes into a very specific pot to provide a very specific service. You don't use it, that's pretty much your problem not the rest of the country's

Just now, Ingram85 said:

It's an entertainment service

No, it isn't. You have picked a small section of what it is. The entertainment service is the park in my council tax analogy

1 minute ago, bickster said:

That's ok, don't have a telly then. it's a tax on your telly ownership but unlike most taxes in the UK the money goes into a very specific pot to provide a very specific service. You don't use it, that's pretty much your problem not the rest of the countries

Its collected by the BBC. Not the Gov't.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

No, it isn't. You have picked a small section of what it is. The entertainment service is the park in my council tax analogy

So what is it then? It's a broadcasting company. 

Just now, Ingram85 said:

So what is it then? It's a broadcasting company. 

Our national broadcaster, it does many many things you probably haven't thought of. It shapes our cultural identity in many ways

You listen to music? Just imagine what a state our music industry would be in without the BBC. The exposure artistes get through the BBC, paying for BBC exclusive sessions across an number of platforms. Concerts and other events across many platforms too.

There is hardly a band since the 60's that hasn't got to where it is today (or whenever their day was) without the help that the BBC provides. It doesn't matter whether you listen to them on the BBC or not, you will be aware of them. Without the BBC there is less chance of that happening (Much Less)

And thats just one small example of the impact the BBC has and what it does

The BBC's remit is to educate entertain and inform. They are required to produce content that hits all of these across their output. The entertainment side of things is a major one but it's not all of it. It's news content, a lot of the non-music radio content, schools stuff, even a lot of its primetime stuff isn't about entertainment (or solely that for the primetime stuff - documentaries etc straddle the line). It'll never just be an entertainment company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bickster said:

Our national broadcaster, it does many many things you probably haven't thought of. It shapes our cultural identity in many ways

You listen to music? Just imagine what a state our music industry would be in without the BBC. The exposure artistes get through the BBC, paying for BBC exclusive sessions across an number of platforms. Concerts and other events across many platforms too.

There is hardly a band since the 60's that hasn't got to where it is today (or whenever their day was) without the help that the BBC provides. It doesn't matter whether you listen to them on the BBC or not, you will be aware of them. Without the BBC there is less chance of that happening (Much Less)

And thats just one small example of the impact the BBC has and what it does

None of that is essential to our day to day lives and can be done by other platforms. You like the BBC and that's great, there is nothing wrong with that at all but if you want their services then pay for them. I and a shed load of others can live without them, I want to have that choice and therefore want my money back. If I don't pay my council tax then my day to day life is affected. 

It's a service provider. Nothing more. I don't require their services. The bands I listen to wouldn't even get exposure on the BBC.

You say 'great, don't have a telly then' but from buying my telly, plugging in the wires and watching say ITV or Netflix, at what point does the BBC have any input in that? By default I have to pay, the argument is that I don't want to. 

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The BBC's remit is to educate entertain and inform. They are required to produce content that hits all of these across their output. The entertainment side of things is a major one but it's not all of it. It's news content, a lot of the non-music radio content, schools stuff, even a lot of its primetime stuff isn't about entertainment (or solely that for the primetime stuff - documentaries etc straddle the line). It'll never just be an entertainment company.

So why is it called a TV Licence?

like most of our institutions its ran poorly, its a leaky ship and those at the top get paid more than the going rate

but when anyone suggests a fix or an alternative state its historical significance and blame the tories

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â